Sprag clutch, Removal guide.

Re: Sprag clutch, Removal guide.

Nice find Dave, saved in my 'MT Manuals Folder' :wink:

Nice find Dave,

But IMO if a spring is stretched that much its sha**ed, and will only be a tempory fix.

Here is a new spring and for the price and the amount of work involved in stripping out and fitting them i know which i'd choose :wink: :D

sprag spring ? APOPHIS PARTS

No brainer.:439:
Didn't know you could get the springs,or they were that cheap.

But then it is an MZ forum.:wink:
Main bearings anyone?:p

Found this link which shows details of how to remove the sprag clutch on Rotax air cooled engines, with good photographic illustrations, for those oily fingered types :D

MZ/MuZ Riders • View topic - mz500 sprague clutch starter .. a how to

Thanks for posting the above link Dave,
My MT 350 has been progressively getting worse at starting with a lot of chattering noises when I attempt to start her.
Sunday morning I went to go for a ride and although the starter was spinning ok it was not turning the engine over. :mad:
I remembered sometime back that you had posted how to get a sprag clutch removed, so back indoors on the PC and printed off the entire link to enable me to strip it all out.:smile:
With the sprag in my hand I could see that the only visible problem was the outer spring was all stretched.
I read further to the link that Limey Dave had posted about how to repair the spring.
Undone the spring cut about an 1" and a half off it joined it back together and put it back on the sprag clutch.
Assembled it all back together and now she's the best she's ever been at starting since I've owned it.
Well happy, :smile::smile::smile: a pint each for both of the Daves when I see you next, as a new spag clutch is around a ?120.00 but only needed a simple repair carried out on it.
Can't wait for Friday now for the ride to Talgarth. :wink: :)

Nice one Tony, lets hope it lasts a while.
8 of us had a good day out around the lanes, (well I say lanes some were like ditches and rivers ) of Hampshire, a few bruises today and aches but the Bike coped well.:D

Back