Starter Clutch

T

tigerchris

1985 FLHTC-80

Hi folks... well I've got most things sorted now and the bike is usable.... but I'd really like to sort the slipping starter clutch before it lets me down completely.

Got a new 'bendix drive' from my local shop (Accel HD one... 'only' 35 quid) and just need to fit it...

So... question of the day is; what's the quickest and easiest way of installing it... can I just removed the starter from the primary, or do I take the primary cover off and do it that way??

(polite) suggestions welcome !

Many thanks

Chris

Re: Starter Clutch

there's no quick and easy way......it's primary off....

nice to see another '85 hitting the road! Very few around here. Harley's lowest production year ever, if I am not mistaken. 34,000 in total or thereabouts. What is it now - about 300,000? :)

Thanks Dave... I had a look at a Clymer 'manual' (shouldn't that be sketchbook ?) for the 'Glide dinnertime and it seemed quite vague but seemed to suggest that you could just undo the bolts securing the starter to the primary &
pulling it out on the right side of the motor....

Time for a beer & more reading..... and probably taking the primary off for a look around !

Only had the bike for 17 years... ;)

Thanks for the advice...
Chris

*scratches head to try to remember....*

You might get the starter motor out that way but you won't get to the bendix drive.............if I recall similar incursions myself. Could be wrong, mind........ The Clymer manual is really only useful as a back-up. You cannot beat the factory service manual. Seriously.

Looking again... I reckon you're right.. !! (as if you doubted !)

So... (hopefully) this weekend... primary off.... old bendix of & binned, new bendix fitted... happy Hog !

Thanks again folks !

Chris

Back