Statins

Army

Club Member
So most of us are possibly at an age when our our good Doctor has prescribed Statins as he informed us that you could be facing a heart attack in 10 yrs so ive taken them for a few months and I have suffered the usual side affects, feeling Lethargic, aching limbs and strange dreams ( no not the Debby does Dallas type) just strange. Anyway I've made the decision No I ain't taking them I will just sort out my diet and for the first time in months I've felt absolutely great so far now I'm off em

Got put on em a year ago had a week off em recently suprised at result felt much better but the diabetic manger predicts the end of the world at my gp shes throwing them at everyone 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think Doctors surgeries are making a fortune out of meds they give pills out free to all over 60s but they must be raking it in from the pharmaceutical giants anyway I've had nearly a week and I can't believe how much better I feel. Diet has to change no more XL Donner kebabs no more pizzas the size of Mexican Sombrero and cut down on the rice, I think I keep Paddy Fields in work

I suffered a heart attack 14 years ago at the age of 58. I had a history of high cholesterol that wouldn't reduce with changing my diet. Went up actually! Wasn't till they were putting the stents in did they tell me that with some people (of which I was one) that high cholesterol couldn't be reduced with however good a diet. It's heredity. My 40 yr old son is now affected with it, and may end up taking statins.
Wish we had a choice not to take. At least now my cholesterol is down to around 4. I'll just blame the booze when my liver get's "deranged"

Same problem as Gez with my ticker and cholesterol. Had to have a triple by-pass 30 years ago and have been on statins ever since ,am now on the maximum dose and they only just keep me below the danger line! Luckily though I get no side effects and liver and kidneys still work fine.

Diet and medications. We live in a poisoned world, processed foods and 'fast' foods are responsible for a great many ills. A certain amount of cholesterol is necessary for good health, but like many things it will vary with the individual and lifestyle. No meds for me.

Quack tried to put me on them in 2016. After reading up on it I never took them, never have, and have been fine since........touch wood!

I think Doctors surgeries are making a fortune out of meds they give pills out free to all over 60s but they must be raking it in from the pharmaceutical giants anyway I've had nearly a week and I can't believe how much better I feel. Diet has to change no more XL Donner kebabs no more pizzas the size of Mexican Sombrero and cut down on the rice, I think I keep Paddy Fields in work
Have you tried cauliflower rice or Quinoa rice? Both are excellent rice substitutes and worth a try (y)

I might give the Quinoa rice a go, my wife eats cauliflower rice and its not for me. This week I've started eating bean sprouts and other veg stuff but I was eating processed crap a few times a week which will now be reduced and slowly removed from my diet

I am also on statins (among other daily prescribed tablets) and I have noticed that in the past few years of being on them I feel tired much of the time. This is hard to prove as I have become noticeably lazy according to my wife through lifestyle choices! I am thinking of getting a vintage bike, the endless spannering and pushing the beast home from short trips will hopefully keep me fit!😂

On a more serious note the GP can be too quick to prescribe, another good example is type 2 diabetes - this can be reversed by a change in diet and lifestyle.

I got put on statins and daily aspirin after suffering a blood clot some years ago. The statins didn't agree with me, muscle aches to the point I struggled with work and brain fog so I didn't have a clue what was going on at times. Stopped taking them and gradually side effects stopped, went back to doc and told her to which she replied you've got to take them so perhaps you should find a different job, after 40 years in machining I don't think so! I tried a different statin but no better so haven't bothered with them. Still take the aspirin and
that's only caused hiatus hernia so another tablet to help with that and certain things I don't eat anymore!

Brain Fog, lethargic, muscle ache, tiredness all symptoms I was suffering. Before they prescribed Statins the blood tests showed an enlarged liver so they shouldn't have prescribed them in my opinion. Anyway I know according the Doc or the nurse I'm increasing my risk of a heart attack by not taking statins but I think I will take my chances. I agree with Rick get a classic motorcycle its good for the mind and a workout

Back