Stop Junkware installing itself

Roger

Club Member
A new program I can recommend to stop those unwanted programs and toolbars being installed

You recommend a program to a family member, and they proceed to install it along with five other junkware programs that sneak their way on to their computer in the installation process. Sound familiar? Unchecky prevents these unnecessary programs from installing themselves by unchecking the appropriate boxes.
What is Unchecky?

Unchecky is a lightweight application that aims to ?keep your checkboxes clear.? It automatically unchecks the boxes that allow companies to install promotional crapware on your computer, and issues warnings if you accidentally agree to install something you may not want.
For the casual computer user, Unchecky is something of a godsend. How many times have you heard ?But I swear I didn?t install any of these toolbars, I don?t know how they got there!? Indeed, most people are smart enough to avoid deliberately installing junk, but it?s a lot easier to inadvertently install something unnecessary when you?re going through the installation process for a legitimate program.
Download.com is notorious for sneaking absolute crap on to your system, and passing off the option as an End User License Agreement, something that most people are accustomed to automatically accepting without reading. As you can see in the screenshot below, Unchecky was able to detect the scam and issue a warning.

warning.jpg

Download here

Re: Stop Junkware installing itself

Great stuff. I will install it on Trish's computer. It will save me doing a system restore every month to get rid of al the crap!

Cheers Roger, will it work also on my Android tablet and smart phone?

Cheers Roger, will it work also on my Android tablet and smart phone?

Unchecky only supports Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

Do a search to find if there is anything for Android.
Android is good but it's a minefield wading thru the security permissions when installing anything :frown:

Thanks Roger...:smile:

Done, thanks Roger

Enjoy it while you can. There's already rumblings about taking legal action against unchecky.

And being the USA, the cheque, sorry check, book usually wins

Enjoy it while you can. There's already rumblings about taking legal action against unchecky.

And being the USA, the cheque, sorry check, book usually wins

So what does that mean? Will it not work after we have downloaded it?

Best thing is when ever you download anything make sure you don't accept all the add ons and tool-bars, unchecked them all first. :wink:

Back