Suitable bike lift for fatboy

Dave Edwards

Club Member
Any1 used a clarke or sealey lifting table rated at 450kg ..looking use it for my 2016 fatboy any advice would helpful

I have a manual Clarke they do an air one for a compressor too it copes with what i use it for the first one lasted 22 years and this new ones 4 yrs old decent wheel clamps and strap points its had glides softails sporty and most things on em both , removable rear plate is damm useful for rear wheel removal good height with locking bar and slow bleed lower is good too removable ramp is a boon when space is limited it works for me and a fat boys no probs as had a few in get a small center lift for raising back of bikes for wheel changes and voila ace all round kit (y):cool:

I thought about a lifting table but went for the big blue in the end.
A table would be in the way for me, and while the big blue isn't small it can be wheeled into a corner when not being used. It's also a one stop solution, no need for another jack to get the wheels off.
I've used mine for a couple of years now and it's been brilliant.

A table would be in the way for me, and while the big blue isn't small it can be wheeled into a corner when not being used.
I've got the Clarke manual table, and I would support all the positive comments made.....I have also a bike lift, both used with an FL and an FX. The lift always makes me sweat when I use it, even though the bike is strapped down. On the other hand the table is secure but unless you can ride your bike on, requires you to push one of the heaviest bikes out there up the ramp. For me, the FX is a piece of cake, whereas the FL is a definite bitch.

The downside to the table is the space issue. It is bloody heavy, and if not in use you'll have to find a corner, use it as a workbench, or, if you have teenage girls, put a rabbit hutch on it over winter....

Big Blue for me. It makes everything SO much more accessible and it does NOT fill the entire bloody garage.

It lifts my 19 Road Glide easily and I have full confidence in it. Just go easy the first few times until you get your clamping/lifting technique smooth.

My 82 Sturgis is on it right now. The only downside to a Big Blue is nowhere to place your tools and stuff (to my mind, the ONLY upside of a table lift).

I solved that problem with a 20 quid 3-tray metal trolley with castors from Aldi that was on special a couple of years ago. That and a seat with castors.

Another thing: almost every table lift now is made in China. Go to hell. Big Blue is well made in England, so THREE thumbs up!. (I will just about accept a cheap trolley from the Far East, but not bike/car parts or a hugely expensive critical bit of garage kit)

Want a USA-made table lift? There are only 2 or 3 options left, and you will pay damn near the price of a used 1980s Sportster...

Continuing this thread at a slight tangent, which scissor lift are you using if you do have a table lift? loking for one that will doo for the Electra, and will obviously also lift the Norton as well. Difficult to use the table lift for the Glide as no centre stand!.

When you say small lift I am assuming with bike on the table you want to get a wheel off the ground?

This is the ubiquitous scissor jack that comes up in all searches. They vary in price from £50 upwards but I suspect they are coming from the same couple of manufacturers.
When I took my bike for its MOT the guy had a scissor jack but unlike that Sealey one his was around 2 foot in length. What that does is stop this situation.

I have searched but cannot find anything different to the Sealey.

I can see nothing in the specs of these that makes one cost 5 times the other

When you say small lift I am assuming with bike on the table you want to get a wheel off the ground?

This is the ubiquitous scissor jack that comes up in all searches. They vary in price from £50 upwards but I suspect they are coming from the same couple of manufacturers.
When I took my bike for its MOT the guy had a scissor jack but unlike that Sealey one his was around 2 foot in length. What that does is stop this situation.

I have searched but cannot find anything different to the Sealey.
Search google for "Motorcycle Scissor Jack". There are loads of them and a lot cheaper than Sealey.
Try Ebay as well.

Thanks all for your replies. Bought the Liftmaster 1100LB Motorbike Centre Scissor Lift off Amazon.

Search google for "Motorcycle Scissor Jack". There are loads of them and a lot cheaper than Sealey.
Try Ebay as well.

Some of the differences between the cheap ones and the branded ones will be material, construction and quality along with certified testing and this will be reflected in the price.

First off the quality of the screw thread and the roll pin highlighted are very important (shown below) as they are all that stops these lifts collapsing, yes that single roll pin holds the whole lot together. I do have a fiend who had this pin fail and the lift collapsed, luckily the bike just dropped and fell on the side stand which was down as it was not that high up! (It was not a Sealy or branded one)

1672956804382.png

The other main difference between the Sealy and most of the cheaper ones is the Sealy uses bearings for the movement of the platform rather than plastic / nylon rollers which can brake crack etc. and should be inherently stronger and far less likely to fail causing the lift to get stuck, tilt and or collapse.

Some of the differences between the cheap ones and the branded ones will be material, construction and quality along with certified testing and this will be reflected in the price.

First off the quality of the screw thread and the roll pin highlighted are very important (shown below) as they are all that stops these lifts collapsing, yes that single roll pin holds the whole lot together. I do have a fiend who had this pin fail and the lift collapsed, luckily the bike just dropped and fell on the side stand which was down as it was not that high up! (It was not a Sealy or branded one)

View attachment 1192407

The other main difference between the Sealy and most of the cheaper ones is the Sealy uses bearings for the movement of the platform rather than plastic / nylon rollers which can brake crack etc. and should be inherently stronger and far less likely to fail causing the lift to get stuck, tilt and or collapse.
That LIFTMASTER looks a good bit of kit. I like the Safety Pin idea for security. Also like the wings which will add stability. (y)
Click HERE for info.

Last edited:
The whole palava of buying a costly table lift and then on top of that needing another (scissor) jack is another big tick for the Big Blue. IMHO. Both wheels off the ground all the time. And when I am removing a wheel, I am standing right next to it and doing so in comfort and with absolute ease.

Back