Suitable bike lift for fatboy

If that style of thrust bearing falls apart and is only doing light clutch duty I won't be choosing one of those over what is already installed and successfully working for the last 5 years on my cheap jack.

Perhaps the mighty MoCo buys cheap stuff just like many of us!
TC onward cam shaft needle roller bearing change from Torrington to INA will provide the answer to that! ;)

All bearings are manufactured to a quality and rating in some form, get cheap unsuitable bearings and they will disintegrate very quickly, if the bearing did, first time under load it certainly was not fit for the job, lubricated or not!

Now if that bearing was a caged ball bearing this would most likely never to be up to the job. For a task like this a bearing needs to be high load and have maximum surface area to handle and distribute the load, so would normally be a caged needle roller type as shown from the Sealy spare parts.

View attachment 1192454

Just to resurrect this 'older thread'....

Now I tend to abuse my 'old' Sealey MC5908 lift, in respect I wash the bikes on it so it gets wet, now and again it will get some grease and a squirt of chain lube on it to keep it lubricated but generally just gets left to stand it on one end for the water to drain off it...

Well I noticed a bit of rusty metal hanging down behind the bearing.... the lift screw seemed to be turning without any extra effort but thought I better have a look.... I then realised it was the back race of the bearing, effectively a washer, so I punched out the two roll pins (see above) and took it apart and yes the rear washer has broken in half and well rusty, to my great surprise, the actual roller bearing was fine, not bent or distorted and smooth running, so I looked for a stainless washer, nothing in the right size.

Sealey do sell the bearing and it's quite cheap around £3.00 but the two sites I found wanted about three times more for the postage... To cut to the chase, the bearing has no number on it, Sealey only give their part number, so after measuring and some referencing it's an AXK1528 and I order one yesterday afternoon from Simply Bearings, shelling out and extra quid for a 'Major Branded Bearing' rather then the non branded generic and it was here this morning, all for £6.72, what a service.

Simply Bearings

20231121_144156.jpg

20231121_144208.jpg

Best money spent for me ,,,managed to get a professional hydraulic press button lift .

a frend was shutting shop and offered me this one ,,not cheap but brilliant ,

wish i had bought years ago ,,some say it takes up room ,,but i park a bike on it ,

P1090529.JPG

Just to resurrect this 'older thread'....

Now I tend to abuse my 'old' Sealey MC5908 lift, in respect I wash the bikes on it so it gets wet, now and again it will get some grease and a squirt of chain lube on it to keep it lubricated but generally just gets left to stand it on one end for the water to drain off it...

Well I noticed a bit of rusty metal hanging down behind the bearing.... the lift screw seemed to be turning without any extra effort but thought I better have a look.... I then realised it was the back race of the bearing, effectively a washer, so I punched out the two roll pins (see above) and took it apart and yes the rear washer has broken in half and well rusty, to my great surprise, the actual roller bearing was fine, not bent or distorted and smooth running, so I looked for a stainless washer, nothing in the right size.

Sealey do sell the bearing and it's quite cheap around £3.00 but the two sites I found wanted about three times more for the postage... To cut to the chase, the bearing has no number on it, Sealey only give their part number, so after measuring and some referencing it's an AXK1528 and I order one yesterday afternoon from Simply Bearings, shelling out and extra quid for a 'Major Branded Bearing' rather then the non branded generic and it was here this morning, all for £6.72, what a service.

Simply Bearings

View attachment 1198079

View attachment 1198080
I found Simply Bearings and Bearing King to be Top Bearing Suppliers. Probably will never look elsewhere. :encouragement:

Back