Super unleaded

Mr B

Hi, I've recently filled up with super unleaded by mistake which is 99 octane. I didn't realise until after I'd covered about 60 miles. My bike...a 03 RKC seems to run better, but will I do any damage if I continue to run on this in the future, because it feels much more lively than usual and I like the way it runs. Any advice on this please.

Brian.

Re: Super unleaded

If you can afford it, keep filling up with it. Made my Evo run much stronger too. I believe the handbook you shoulda got with your bike states that super, High test, or whatever should be used in your tank. But we all know they run o.k. on regular, don`t we! :rolleyes:

Brian, if you can stand the extra cost, IMO it's well worth keeping the bike on super. Harleys do seem to run better on it; it certainly won't do the bike any harm.

I've said this often before, but it's also worth paying a penny a litre extra (or whatever it is) to get a "branded" fuel, rather than the supermarket stuff. The basic fuel comes out of the same refineries, but the good 'uns like BP and Shell add more aromatics; that's the trade term for the additives which make the fuel perform better.

kevscrivener said:
I've said this often before, but it's also worth paying a penny a litre extra (or whatever it is) to get a "branded" fuel, rather than the supermarket stuff. The basic fuel comes out of the same refineries, but the good 'uns like BP and Shell add more aromatics; that's the trade term for the additives which make the fuel perform better.
Yes but dont forget its Tescos that are doing the 99 0ctane fuel.

I`m jealous. The best fuel available here is 92 Octane.:( They definately run better on higher.

Our regular is 95 octane...mind you, you wouldnt be jealous of our pump prices...:(

Here's my 2p's worth.

Every bike I've owned over the last few years has been run on Ultimate, Super, Optimax etc. They have all run smoother, stronger and given better MPG figures (for the same speed useage obviously).

I measure my mpg quite closely, and I don't think it costs me any extra to use the more expensive fuel as the mpg difference pays for it. Something for nothing? Maybe.

David

I can confirm that Super Unleaded does nothing at all for carb. icing.
We were up in Gairloch at the weekend, and it was baltic on the way up and down. Carb. iced up around Drumochter, and stayed that way until Gairloch. When we gassed up in Inverness (after I had prised my frozen fingers from the grips with a wrecker bar) I found I'd left my Winter Fuel additive at home (because it was leaking all over the inside of the bags) so I paid the ?1.06 per litre for the Super Unleaded stuff, which made no difference at all, and we came down the hill into Kinlochbervie, illuminating the sky for miles around with the flames from the over-run.
So, Super might be better for some things, but carb. icing ain't one of them...:(

when i picked up my new bike i was told to only use super unleaded until the 1st service at 1000miles then i could use regular or super, so i did this for the 1st 1000 then switched to reg. ive now done 1700 miles and to be honest cannot tell the difference.

I try to use super juice whenever poss as I'm running a 9.5:1 compression ratio, trouble is the brute drinks the stuff like lemonade at a kid's party. Every now and then I add some octane booster for added zip :D

I read a big article in the Sunday Times about a year ago in which they measured a whole slew of vehicles and the end result was that the "super" fuels did not make any difference at all.

I believe they only tested cars but did try out everything from top performance highly strung vehicles to some pretty basic kit :(

I seem to remember the only difference was in the "perception" of performance from the owneres of the vehicles. . . . . . .

I use the expensive stuf but I know it makes no difference, just proves how stupid I am:eek:

If you run a high compression engine however the high octain stuff can help stop detonation. I dont really understand it fully but from what I have read, basically it dosent go bang as easily.

Some of the high end fuels do claim to have addetives to help clean the fuel system, and if true may result in a performance increase.

I also put a 50/50 mix of redex and top quality 2 stroke oil in every tank. About 50ml per tank. Anal or what:eek:

WildBill2566 said:
I also put a 50/50 mix of redex and top quality 2 stroke oil in every tank. About 50ml per tank. Anal or what:eek:

not totally, the engine tech is as old as the hills, redex used to be on every pump, cant be a bad thing i suppose.:)

S.T.Chapman said:
not totally, the engine tech is as old as the hills,

Exactly. Moley's right about cars, but how many of them are OHV v-twins?There is a clue in in Phild's answer; octane levels in the USA are generally lower, and where are most cars sold? It follows therefore that cars are made to run on worse stuff than we are used to.

My Evo gets fed ordinary unleaded, but then again it's a bog-stock bike which hasn't even been jetted. I used to run the Ironhead on Super, but since it's had a top-end overhaul with 8:1 pistons for easier starting (joke! :D ) it will tolerate Regular without too much fuss. The Shovel has always run on Optimate but then again it's a stroker.

I tried a tank full for the first time last week just to see if there was an improvement in fuel consumption and a reduction in the popping and farting, not a blind bit of difference :( . I'll go back to the cheapo standard stuff next time but still stickin' to the branded fuels just for the additives (and to stop Tesco taking over the world).

Higher octane is only of use to prevent detonation and pre-ignition, and the additives discourage the unintentional ignition of the air-fuel mixture.
On stock motors, there's no reason why it should be of any significant benefit, although on older, worn ones, it could potentially help to control the flame front, minimising uneven combustion caused by hot carbon deposits and so on.
However, its primary function is to prevent pre-ignition (pinking) on high compression motors, where the reduced combustion volume, and the higher gas temperatures generated by compressing the fuel air mixture (Boyles Law?) can cause the mixture to explode before the spark, leading to holed pistons and so on. Ideal combusion assumes that the mixture does not ignite until the spark, and the flame front advances uniformly from the point of ignition. This gives you the highest efficiency, and the highest power, as most of the fuel is burnt during the power stroke, in a controlled fashion. Detonation, where ignition occurs at several positions in the combustion chamber, reduces both power and efficiency, as the uncontrolled advance of flame is more likely to leave unburnt pockets of fuel, and combustion efficiency is reduced. Ideally, you want all the fuel to burn uniformly as the piston moves down, but detonation can result in too much combustion, too early. If I remember rightly (and that's unlikely at my age) the ideal combustion chamber would be completely spherical, and the spark would occur at the centre of the sphere, which is clearly impossible using any technology available today, but explains the hemispherical piston crowns and head recesses on many performance engines.
BTW: adding Redex to fuel may be harmless, but adding 2-stroke isn't, and is more likely to cause carbon deposition in the combustion chamber, that will ultimately lead to detonation. Also, adding oil to fuel reduces the amount of fuel, so the air/fuel ratio is reduced, and the motor can run weak. This used to be a big problem with petroil 2-strokes, where well-meaning owners would add extra oil, thinking they were improving engine life, only to have their Villiers/James/Bantam, etc. seize solid, due to overheating caused by weak mixture. Can't see a dribble in the tank having much effect on a Harley's mixture, but probably does more harm than good? :confused:
Mind you, a spoon or two of Castrol R can make your exhaust smell like the road racers of the sixties... ;)

good point about the two stroke oil Jake, way bay when...
anway had a suzuki with a badly adjusted cci and it burnt two holes in two piston due to the carbon burning on the crowns

Back