TC96 Oil Tank / Sump Question…..

Rob the Dog

Hi, looking at all the diagrams of the Engine Oil Sump it shows the Transmission Oil above is drained out via a Tube as part of the Sump Casting…… It shows no ‘O’ ring or gasket between the bottom of the Transmission Case and the removable Engine Oil Sump… After 15 years and 50,000 miles I am considering sump removal and an inspection / clean down….As you can imagine I don't want to reassemble only to find I now contaminate Gear Oil with Engine oil…. Or worse still loose Gear Oil into the Engine oil Sump..
I know…. If It Ain't Broken Dont Fix It, but I cant ignore it for ever, an now would seem a good time for an inspection…
Many Thanks for reading this and any light you can shed…..
Best regards. Rob

Hi, its TC 96 ‘A’ a Dyna….rubber mount….. 2009 , the Jersey HD exploded diagram is much the same as The HD Service Manual… no indication that there is any kind of gasket or ‘O’ ring between the bottom of the oil drain in the transmission case to the top of the tube in the sump casting that serves as the Transmission Oil drain to its drain plug on the bottom of the Engine Oil Sump……

I think thats the one he needs the gasket needed is item 8 as the oilbag/sump just bolts up under the gear box the transmission oil drains elsewhere as they just hang the bag underneath to save space in the frame i had to take the sump off and modify it when i fitted my t111 s and s lump they provide the gasket in the kit no o rings ect beware the hidden cap screw at the back in front if the rear mount 👍

Thanks guys…… this is the diagram I have mentioned. if you look and trace a line vertically above 15 ( the 15 that is drawn at the foot of the diagram ) which is the gearbox oil drain plug if you look you can see a small circle to the right of the top of the sump casting…. This is the top of the gearbox drain tube. Number 8 is indeed the sump gasket but it doesn’t include any provision to include this part of the casting and the top of the tube which is located directly under the drain hole in the gearbox when the sump is in place.
I am puzzled as to how fluids stay in place in what looks like only a flat metal to metal join with no visible shoulder let alone a gasket or O ring ?
Can you now see what I mean ? I cant just rely on it working fine now before I take it apart….. only to find it leaks one way or other when I replace only a new number 8. between the sump and gearbox.

Aaah got you i dont remember an o ring it was a fair time ago but if there was one it would be in the drawing i checked jerseys parts list over various years to be sure have you or anyone got the factory workshop manual it would explain the procedure to remove ect and whats needed ?

Aaah got you i dont remember an o ring it was a fair time ago but if there was one it would be in the drawing i checked jerseys parts list over various years to be sure have you or anyone got the factory workshop manual it would explain the procedure to remove ect and whats needed ?

The factory service manual indicates that there is no gasket or o ring in the location in question.. screen shots attached.

An electronic copy of most service manuals can be found using this link to a post on this forum that links to a very comprehensive library of factory manuals that are available to members free of charge

IMG_5713.jpeg

IMG_5714.jpeg

IMG_5715.jpeg

Took the plunge and took the sump off…..all the drawings including factory service manual are not accurate…
As you can see the old gasket shows the Tab off the side to provide for the gearbox drain 👌. If in doubt rip it apart 😎
Thanx guys

IMG_6485.jpeg

Back