Technical Service Bulletin M1560 - Pan America “Hard Start” or “Starter Whine” Condition

Mark Hammond

Committee
2021 and some early 2022 registered Pan America’s can suffer from a periodic reluctance to start when hot. When the starter button is pressed the bike will display symptoms of a not turning the motor over and emit a whine type noise from the area of the starter motor. In almost all instances, simply pressing the starter button a second or third time will result in the bike starting and the starter whine may not occur again for some time. The condition is caused by the engine coming to rest near the top of the compression stroke and the high compression ratio of the engine (13.5:1) makes it difficult for the starter to turn the engine over and start.

There is a fix for this condition which requires the fitting of a new modified starter clutch gear. The modified parts are intended for engines manufactured before January 2022. Engines manufactured after January 2022 already have the modified parts incorporated into them. The attached Technical Service Bulletin details the required changes for dealerships to follow and also the process they need to follow to claim the cost of the work back from the MoCo

This isn’t a product recall matter, and not all HD dealerships will routinely change the components for the modified parts. You may have to go into the dealership and with the attached Technical Service Bulletin and persuade the service manager that your bike should have the parts fitted. If you have, or are considering buying a Pan America that was built in 2021, it may be prudent to ensure that the work detailed in the attached Technical Service Bulletin is completed before any warranty runs out.

Also, not all HD dealerships are created equal, and some UK dealerships don’t have technicians that are fully trained on the complex nature of the Rev Max engined bikes. The dealerships that don’t have Rev Max trained technicians probably won’t be aware of the hard start problems or this Technical Service Bulletin - You might have to seek out a dealership with properly trained Rev Max technicians.

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for this Mark...mine's heading in for a service soon - will see what they say. It's never actually failed to start, but...

Thanks for this Mark...mine's heading in for a service soon - will see what they say. It's never actually failed to start, but...

You’ll probably need to take the service bulletin in with you to show the service manager what you are talking about.

I’ve started a HDRCGB Pan owners group over on Facebook. Its quiet on there at the moment but next year I’ll use it to organise some rides and meets to get HDRCGB Pan owners together https://www.facebook.com/groups/317629857622509/?ref=share_group_link

Back