the joy of working on older bikes

devon.john

Club Member
well tonight just checked and adjusted the point and ignition timing on the pan ,,,,

now that was a very simple job and that the thing about older bikes you can do most jobs yourself ,,,

this sort of thing was always do by the owner in the past ,now theres not much you can do yourself on a modern bike ,

i know most will say you don't need to i except that but then if you have not done any home maintenance you will never learn ,,,

personal that part of owning a bike i enjoy and if it ever brakes i have a good understanding of how it works and can most times fix it ,,

john

Re: the joy of working on older bikes

Within reason, all riding and no maintanance or repairs doesn't do it for me at all. A well maintained older bike shouldn't throw up anything too unexpected. I like to get involved in the bike I ride. It gives me a sense of achievement and pride when a problem is overcome by my own hands.
I know where you're coming from John.
Hodgie.

Yeah I get it also - knowing how your bike ticks and how to keep her sweet is very rewarding. Riding her is also an art form, not pushing the old girl too hard and forgiving her when she mis-behaves, is all part of the experience (just like a marriage). If I had the spare cash I'd have another - but having ridden old Brit bikes for many years and spent hours on trying to keep them content, I'm happy with my young reliable mistress - goes like a train, never leaks and loves being screwed! Each to their own!

It is a conundrum. Owning a twin cam is definately reliable but perhaps less rewarding in the long run than something older.

I had a 07 FLHRS RK Custom. Bought it Sept 2016, sold it late last year. A perfectly good and reliable bike but so was the BMW R1150 GS I traded in for the Shovelhead in 2011. The RK just didnt have the appeal of the older bike. It could well have been any bike.
As has been said, each to their own.
For me it not just the riding, it's the whole ownership package of maintanance, repair, improving , problem solving, frustration, pride, bastardised spanners, Gunk, grease and broken fingers. The Shovel gives me all of these things and ultimately makes riding her all the more pleasurable.
The RK moved me from A to B and cost me a fucking fortune.
Hodgie.

Like the others here I agree each to his own but this does remind me back when the Evo was new, HD was pushing demo days like crazy and many of us found ourselves going from one dealer day to another, perhaps a bit like those people I have read about who go to house viewings with no intention to buy? Anyway, each demo day I'd try a different Evo and I'd enjoy them, recognising their improved refinement - HOWEVER, once back on the old shovel (with all its faults and failings) I'd feel much more alive and involved. I guess its the same with cars, you drive around in a Focus/Astra/Civic etc but if someone let you drive their restored MG or XK Jag or Morgan all the refinement and comfort of your modern car would seem sterile and bland?
(of course the lucky barstards amoung us will have both types of vehicle, curse them...!)

..oh, and going back to John's purpose for posting - who would enjoy their model railway more, the man who built it or the man who had it built for him - or the gardener who planned and planted his own against the one who got the landscapers in?

I'd love to have a selection of old and new, best of both worlds. Despite my original tongue in cheek comment, there is real character in the old stuff - no two ways about it and you will never lose money if looked after. But being able to sustain high cruising speed without drama and eat mile after mile with ease also has its own rewards - like actually getting to a rally you've really looked forward to. But hats off to Devon John and others like him who ride them and don't hide them - they were built to be ridden and enjoyed!

My job never ends and it can be dispiriting when the relentless pressure keeps on coming, always feeling like there's no end to it. Going in the garage is like sanctuary, doing things that have a logical sequence and to a great extent are within your control with a beginning and an end. Plus, I don't rush, just take my time and chill out. No bullshit meetings and time wasting tossers to deal with, just me in my cosy peaceful domain learning new things and trying to be more mechanically adept. Out there I'm joe av, in there I'm king. If I cock it up, I get help or go down the pub.

I just wish my membership card would arrive so I don't have to keep proving I'm not a fucking robot. Maybe I am and don't know it!

Rod

See you lot, you laughed at me while we were building Hombre and I said "what if he becomes sentient one day?" - should have listened to me...

Morning.

Rods hit the nail on the head for me, learning new stuff. I made the leather seat for the chop. Could have bought one but it was so much better to read a book, have several attempts and invest a few days work.

Back