The London meet - been a while.

Dave SRod

Club Member
Well, our first meet up in fifteen months last night and I'd like to thank all those that made it to The Rose of York in Richmond.

The weather of late being so sunny and warm I was really looking forward to sitting outside and catching up with Region members, on a balmy London evening. But no, it just had to be p*ssing down all afternoon and evening. Our northern brethren no doubt taking great pleasure in that! Great for my garden, but not a pleasant urban ride.

So well done to the two of you, who threw caution to the wind and come on your Harleys. Thanks Peter and newbie Dave(Diesel) for that. And enjoy cleaning them!

The rest of us came in cars or on our more mundane two wheelers.

On a sad note and only by a matter of days, our anticipation of a Triple Rally was shattered, by the Govt. extending lockdown by a further month. Naseby and the AGM duly disappeared and I do hope that this is the last extension and we may be able to salvage some of the Club events calendar later in the year. So roll on 2022, when a semblance of normality will be resumed. I personally am missing my SuperRally fix.

None-the-less an enjoyable evening was had by all and it was finally great to give Andy Brown a big 'Thank You' for his more than 10 years as 'toolman' for the Club. London Region are keeping 'tools' in house, so to speak and they didn't have far to travel, as Paul, another Lundunah, has picked up the reins and is running with it - to mix up my metaphors!

Looks like, for some of us, our first event for the year will be a non Club one - the West London Harley Club's Burning Budgie rally, that scrapes in by the skin of it's teeth.

I'll wish all my readers safe riding - your Asst. Rep.

Hi Dave how are you doing? I'm a new club member. Pls can you tell me when the next meeting is? Looking forward to meeting you all.
Many Thanks Liam

Hi all, I would like to say many thanks for my trophy which was presented to me from the London Region club members on thursday night for been the toolman for 10 yrs,that was a great surprise.I would like to thank Paul the new toolman in taking over from me and who is doing a great job,thank you.cheers Andy. (m/no 2983).

Hi Dave how are you doing? I'm a new club member. Pls can you tell me when the next meeting is? Looking forward to meeting you all.
Many Thanks Liam

Hi Liam
Im a new member as well so welcome to the region. There was talk of the July meeting being postponed but I'll let Dave SRod confirm.
What part of London you from?

It was good to meet everyone and was almost worth getting home looking like a drowned rat!

I mentioned at the meeting that I am up for the Burning Budgie Rally (30 July - 1 Aug) and the International Rally (13-15 Aug).
Also as Isle of Wight is only an hour or so from us Ive booked a hotel in Shanklin for the weekend 3- 5th Sept.
Well, it would be rude not to :encouragement:

Burning Budgie update:
The rally is going to go ahead but will be pay on the gate first-come first-served.
I can't get down there until Saturday but have booked a room for £50 at The Pavillion Gardens, Hedgerley, SL2 3LQ.
This is about a mile down the road but is bit better than the IBIS. It is Cancellable as well.
Cheers

Hi Diesel Thanks I'm at Ashford. And definitely will come to burning budgie. Thanks for your warm welcome. Look forward to meet up with you all ?

Hi Liam
Im a new member as well so welcome to the region. There was talk of the July meeting being postponed but I'll let Dave SRod confirm.
:

Dear 'drowned rat' (Dave), it's the July meeting at the Rose that is never normally on. Its just that with the cancellation of the Triple rally - why shouldn't we have a July meet at the Rose.
Mike, the Region Rep, will keep you all posted about a July meet there, via text, and as an exceptional event, confirmed here on the Region forum.

Just the one night at the B Budge will probably entail full entry price, but to know you could always give the Prez, Rick, a very amiable chap, a call from the number on the flyer.

Liam, we'll assume that's the Ashford in Middlx. one. If it were the Kent one, you'd probably be linking with Region 17.
Just that a lot of us Londoners think there is only the one Ashford and it's located in Kent!

I was well into my late 20's before I knew of the 'other' Ashford.
And only because I worked with a guy who told me.
I said "long way to commute, from Kent".
He said "no, the other Ashford" That's when I found out!
Wikipedia says the Kent 'one' has a population of 74 thousand and that was at the 2011 census. Since then the superfast Javelin train service has been introduced and a huge amount of housing has been built. A short diversion from the M20, on the way to the channel crossings, you can't miss the signage. For this census I'd imagine a much larger population.
And the other one?!
A lot of us still don't know it, or heard of it.
I rest my case m'lud!! :cool:

PS I will admit you have a bigger Hayes over there, than us!

Burning Budgie update:
The rally is going to go ahead but will be pay on the gate first-come first-served.
I can't get down there until Saturday but have booked a room for £50 at The Pavillion Gardens, Hedgerley, SL2 3LQ.
This is about a mile down the road but is bit better than the IBIS. It is Cancellable as well.
Cheers

Not been to this one yet, might go if i can get off work.
Where's the entrance, as the postcode they give on the flyer is in the middle of the services?!! laughing_roll
I'm guessing the site is at the old football ground right next to the (very quiet I'm sure) M40? horrified

Not been to this one yet, might go if i can get off work.
Where's the entrance, as the postcode they give on the flyer is in the middle of the services?!! laughing_roll
I'm guessing the site is at the old football ground right next to the (very quiet I'm sure) M40? horrified

Entrance is a gateway, by the traffic lights, on the opposite side of the road to the services entry. Plenty of banners at the gateway, but first timers still miss it!
If coming from the motorway side (as most do), turn into the services, all the way round the mini roundabout to come back to the traffic lights. Turn right as if heading back to the motorway, then the entrance is immediately on the left.

The clubhouse is closest, but not noisily problematic, as the M40 is in a cutting here and during the day and evening (conversation/music) you're barely aware of it.
Thankfully the camping field is slightly further away (not the football field), through a small wooded area (illuminated at night) and if you go well into the field, you'll sleep soundly and (almost) noise free!

Back