Thread

watchman

Club Member
Anyone in here know what the thread size pitch length ect is on a rubber mount 04 sporty swinging arm bolt it has 2 of em 1 through the bush on the swinging arm each side into the swing arm pivot shaft part number 47500005 or 41698-04 any help appreciated harley want a fortune for the pair :eek:

hmmm cant find any info from harley as to pitch ect so going into a supplier this week to cross ref and see what comes up 🤷‍♂️ Was hoping someone in here would know will give them a call also cheers(y)

(pssst! ummmm.... do you think thread pitch gage(s) S.A.E., Wentworth, J.I.S., etc. would make rather useful door prizes at our rallies.)
A set of gages sure be handy; I often have to rely on mine to settle a quizzy. They are fairly cheap as things go (at least over here in the Panhandle.

The bolt is something I would call a speciality as the shouldered part is (in metric) around 2mm larger diameter than the threaded part.

The thread itself however is 3/4" UNC.

47500005 won't be any use as that goes all the way through the swing arm pivot shaft. You would need to change that as well to use it.

3/4" bolt followed by pivot bolt. I think you can just about make out the difference in shoulder size.
vA5xbuS.jpg
uZIsGy4.jpg

Oh look I have a pair of them gong spare!
9yTiRgd.jpg

After drawing blanks with the dealers and techs i know in em here i got in touch with a mate in woodys hd USA and he informed me 41698-04 is the original 2 bolt system with a sealed pivot shaft ,then superseded by 47500005 as a retrofit part number from 2010 on requiring as you rightly pointed out a replacement pivot shaft also everything else in the assembly stayed the same except now uses a single longer bolt and nut set up done to cut costs but now they suffer from bolt spinning issues when you try to undo em with some reported bolts coming loose in use hence now there is a circlip on the end after the nut ,why they dont publish service bulletin updates outside hd or the parts people dont read em i dont know but after talking to 6 main dealers its worrying that none of the monkeys knew and would have let me order 2 of the damm bolts with a 10-15 day wait from europe if available !!! 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: M&M
Are you sorted with the bolts?

What I have seen which may have prompted the change is the pivot bolt shaft has a weak locating pin to stop it rotating. Once the bolts have thoroughly rusted in one bolt is easy to get out using a socket on both sides. Trying to get the other out breaks the pin and the whole lot just turns.

As you can see with the condition of the pictured bolts they came out without a fuss.

Yes thanks got the later set up on way to go with new bushes but mines the opposite having murders getting pivot shaft out its seized solid got all the bolts out ok but the shaft aint budging yet left it drowning in penetrating oil till tomorrow 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back