To Start Or Not To Start???

Nick C

After advice please.. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere previously.. I am new to the forum..

My bike is wintered, on solid hydraulic belly frame stand (to store it upright, pressure off shocks etc etc).. battery on HD tender.. covered with breathable sheets in my garage (cold, but dry in there.. no damp!)

Question....

Is it advisable to start up once a week for 15-20 mins to circulate oils & let get warm?

As its on a secure stand should I put into 1st gear and let the drive parts & belt drive rotate to keep it free & moving.

Thought I would ask the experts!!

Thanks.
Nicm

Well, I have done both - left bikes for weeks, and more periodically started them up. I think a lot depends upon your bike and its quirks. The standard advice is don't- even after 15 minutes at tickover you're unlikely to get the engine truly hot enough to dispel the water created during combustion and exhausts hate warm, essentially wet gases depositing condensation. A bigger problem is that starting on set choke, and not revving to accelerate means your plugs will quickly get sooty. Added to which you may load the air in your garage with water vapour and carbon monoxide. Whenever I run a bike in a garage I use a small oscillating fan, even with the bike half in, half out.

On the other hand, I've found my older bikes really do not like being left alone for too long, leading to all sorts of starting problems. Bikes can wet sump too if left for too long.
So, probably best to take a short run on a cold but frost free day on roads that haven't been salted recently, or after rain where the road surface is not treacherous.

Thanks for your reply..

I have read so many different things.. I have added a fuel conditioner and "topped off the fuel tank" - to reduce the "air" space to condensate..

Agree with all your comments.. its my 1st wintering with my bike..

Don't much fancy the roads where I live for salt or rain..

Nicely covered in my garage, to keep as protected as I can and I will do the idea in your 1st Paragraph.. Leave & then get out as soon as I can in 2023.

Thanks for the advice..

Hope you have a great Xmas & New Year & if using your bike..keep it upright & stay safe.

My bikes stored in my old out house on thick carpet to stop condensation riding from the concrete floor. I have the jiffy stand sitting in a block of wood to get the bike more upright ( I move the bike every few weeks to spread the load on the tyres). Breathable indoor/outdoor cover and I just put the bike in the tender once a week for 24 yrs as no direct power to outhouse (have to run cable from house). I don't start my bike from the time I take it off the road in October till the weather warms a bit bout Feb/March. Been doing this for years I just make sure I prepare my bike for winter first.

Thanks Shaun,

My garage is carpeted too.. insulates roller door.. so not to bad.. just a little cold in there..

I have mine on a jack that slides under the bottom frame rails, yoy then pump the hydraulic jack up and then apreads the load. My bike is about 2 ft in the air.. all suspension fully free if weight.. no weight on ant part.

Bike was preped for winter before storage..

Can't wait to get back out as early as next year..

Hope you have a great Xmas mate..

All very sound advice - I must admit for many years I started my bikes, it was more because I just wanted to hear them roar into life, but the sensible thing is to winter prepare and leave well alone. That said a few bikes previously owned were a real pig to start if left for months regardless of careful winter prep and therefore a 20 minute start up every few weeks was my preferred option.
My Routine
1. Clean & dry bike
2. Park bike on thick carpet.
3. Battery connected to tender.
4. Lucus petrol preserve (much cheaper than H-D) added.
5. Fuel tank topped up to prevent condensation with E5 fuel.
6. I spray WD40 mist into the rear silencers.
7. I don't have a hydraulic lift, so I make a chalk mark on tyres and move bike about every few weeks to prevent flat spots.
8. I ensure the tyres are inflated correctly.
9. A breathable cover is placed over the bike.

Then I blow it all by riding the bike on any winter day that is mild and dry! :cool:

“Winter lay up” for me is usually only mid December to mid/late Feb, so I don’t do anything special. I just give it a thorough deep clean, top up the petrol tank, pop it on the bike lift to get it off the concrete floor and hook up to the battery tender.

I used to prep mine and put it on jacks.
Now i put on battery optimate and leave it..cover in whatevers to hand so i dont cover it in shite while its used as a shelf lol.
I ride it any chance i get with no obvious salt reminants on road.
Depends on you,cant say i achieved any thing by wintering it.

E5 and Sta-Bil in the tank. Optimate and if it's wet I turn on the de-humidifier.

I avoid starting them unless I'm going for at least a 10 mile ride.

Shovels like to be used. So, I use heated gloves and vest for riding in the colder months.

I talk to my bikes as well. They like it. All mine are females. I don't have any male bikes.

Thanks for all the replies..

It sounds like I have made a good guess at doing it right!!

I miss the sound - well roar really!!!!

I want to do right by my ride!!!

Look after her.. and she will take care of me?!?!?!..

To all who have replied so far.. Thank you, it means a lot to me to be part of a group of Harley Owners..

Hope to get to a few rallys next year, and ride local with others..

The only thing I'd add to the above is if it's a carburated bike then I'd make sure the float bowl was empty of fuel. Either by switching off the fuel tap & letting it run until it cuts out or by draining it, if possible. That way you reduce the risk of having a load of varnish in the float bowl & blocking the jets come start up time in the spring.

Thanks about carbs..

Its carbless.. Fuel injection..

Had heard about the carbs.. Went a searching for them on my bike (like ya do).. and couldn't find them..

So them i found it was fuel injection..

Should have asked when I bought it.. but, I was Blinded by the shear beauty and the roar of the 2" pipes .. I just said, How much.. then yes!!! (I know.. Couldnt help myself..).

All the above seems good and proper advice. If you REALLY love your baby and the mere thought of that divine lump out there....in the dark.... alone.... freezing.... ties your heart-string all in knots........ then take the broad arrow step and park her in the parlor! The advantage to this is that by craftyness and certain other claudistine manouvers, convert the parlor into the shop.
Like so...
livung room2 (1).JPG

p.s. I ought to add that I filled up that place and had to move the act.......

I've found 2 files in my HD Info; Preparation for Winter Storage and Removal from Storage and Waking Up From Winter.

I'll start 2 threads in the Tech-Tips section.

So everyone who wants to; can copy them.

Last edited:
Without knowing anything about HD engines a guy says if you start it you need to ride it. Sitting ticking over in the garage is bad he continues and is unlikely to get a proper heat soak on the engine.

So that is what I have done. The bike is ready to go when and if an opportunity arises.

Let me know what you think about the info in them.
Thanks for this Dave. I would add that if you do put some oil into the cylinders pre storage turning the engine over on the button with the plugs out will throw oil a long way across your garage/shed/lounge. With the plugs in you risk oiling them up, use old ones or turn engine by hand with the rear wheel.

While your bike is tucked up, if you have been able to get the wheels off the ground it's a good idea to turn the wheels and pump the brakes sometimes. Use the rear wheel to turn the engine over a few times. Pull and tie the clutch lever in and with the bike in gear use the wheel to turn the clutch to stop it sticking. Release the clutch lever when done.

Ron.

Thank you tonall who are contributing..

This is the reason I asked the experts on here, as there are so many different things on the "internet".

Good idea regarding putting in gear and rotating the rear wheel to get pistons moving in barrels and then the clutch plate..

Not thought about that idea.. but will be doing it..

Great to get collective ideas about best way to treat my bike..

The reason I winter it.. is because its a 1 off custom.. and its just been completed.. and I am fortunate to be able to use it when I want and not because I need to.. Its such a nice bike, Someone has put alot of time into creating & building this bike, I want to look after it as best I can..

Back