To Start Or Not To Start???

No worries Tim..

I started the thread as I had read so much info.. that if I did all everyone recommended I would take it all apart.. individually vacuum seal the parts and have them in my bedroom over the crap weather period!!!

I would never have thought of dropping in gear then rotating rear wheel to get pistons in bores to move.. Great piece of advice.. and then the clutch plate suggestion..

Again, thanks to all who have replied & made great suggestions..

Bike booked for total clean and ACF50 next month..

If I get a dry day.. no salt laid.. and its not too cold.. then I will be out!..

But conditions have to be right for me.. Dont want to risk getting my bike the wrong way up!! Better to leave till better weather..

I didn't realise the ACF 50 was recommended until another member mentioned it.. and I decided to get a company in to do it..

More great advice from Harley Owners..

Hi Nick - what I did with my FI Road King was to empty the tank then dry it out with old towels then pull the injection pump fuse and spin the engine until the oil light went out, then pause then spin it some more. Then put the battery on charge until full, this every couple of weeks. The battery lasted 14 years and no issues with the engine or clutch. Biggest problem was the bloody alarm...

Well....not all in the garage, bikes started or not, is well this morning. Last night it was close to or at freezing, and before that, -2 degrees for several days. So everything metal was well and truly cold soaked. Overnight the temperature shot up to 11.5 degrees by 7am here. I went into the garage, opened the doors, thought, "it smells damp in here..." and turned around to bikes actually dripping with condensation. I've never seen this in a dry garage in 40 years of owning bikes.

Cue fan action, all doors open and wiping of cold engine blocks....as fast as I wiped it off, the atmosphere recondensed. Only cure - time to equilibrate.

Now, I've had Covid, the wife has had Covid, and I haven't been in the garage much as a result. This could have continued for days, with the bikes effectively immersed in warm water. Fuck. Doesn't bear thinking about. Haven't uncovered the lathe yet....

20221219_093909.jpg

20221219_093855.jpg

as long as you have power try grabbing a dehumidifier from screwfix or machine mart that keeps it down ,before i moved i used to have an old fashioned pipe heater out of an old airing cupboard on all the time it cost pennies to run but did the trick with some old blankets on top, in the container i am in now i use silica gel storage tubes got 4 hanging up and it does a fair job of dealing with the condensation as i have no power now :encouragement:

I used to keep my Sportster in small ,wooden garden shed with no power. With cold nights and warm days it would be covered in condensation. To keep it at bay I opened up the thin type carrier bags and wrapped them tightly round the engine which suffered most from the condensation. They needed holding in place with old tee shirts, towels, whatever to keep them tight to the metal. The cloth on its own holds the damp but along with the plastic the wet was kept at bay. The biggest faf was waiting for the bike to cool after a ride so as not to melt the plastic bags.

Ron.

Drachman

That is such bad news about condensation all over everything.. After both having Covid too..

Thanks for updating this thread.. I did check on mine yesterday as weather seemed warmer.. so far - still dry and condensation free..

Thinks we have to go through to have nice bikes eh??

Hope you get it sorted as soon as you can, and then keep it dry.

Dehumid sticks are another great idea to help your issue..

Thank you all for your thoughts on wet bikes! It was incredible in there this morning - every metal surface was as if dipped....even the concrete floor had pools of water. Garage been open all day looking for equilibration, but it's as wet outside....at least now I have a use for all those bloody silicon packets from the Covid tests, collected over nearly three years

Would not "bagging" (using painter's plastic tarp or custom envelopes) the bike and rolling up and clipping the edges tight with the addition of de-humid stuff, in stick or tub form, inside the bag, to absorb the moisture you've trapped inside, block most, if not all, condensation?
Please excuse if this makes me out as simple-minded. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the problem stated; living in the Florida panhandle environment precludes my offering anything offhand in the form of workable suggestions.......

Thank you all for your thoughts on wet bikes! It was incredible in there this morning - every metal surface was as if dipped....even the concrete floor had pools of water. Garage been open all day looking for equilibration, but it's as wet outside....at least now I have a use for all those bloody silicon packets from the Covid tests, collected over nearly three years

I think a few of us went into garages and workshops this morning to be presented with everything being soaking wet. Its supposed to be dry and sunny here tomorrow, so I’m going to open up the workshop doors and try and get some fresh air circulating in there.

Just before Christmas in the UK, we had a week or so with temperatures around zero. Everything in the garage got cold, and stayed cold. The 'garage' is an old barn, 45 feet long, ten feet wide and nine feet high with a corrugated tin roof only partly insulated. The wall mostly plywood and breezeblock. With ample 'ventilation' through certain critters getting in (nesting birds in the main) and rubbish contruction, heating such an area would need a King's ransom.

Then the temps went up by around ten degrees and we had fog, high humidity. Nature allows humidity, in the form of moisture, to condense on anything cold, so everything - metal, cardboard, plastics, paper, becomes covered in 'dew'. Beneath its cover, the FL was wet. Everything was wet. Cardboard went soggy, boxes became unmoveable without the contents dropping through, etc. That's Nature for you.

I could have covered the bike in a big plastic bag and put a blow heater on low, but once the cold surfaces reached the ambient air temperature, Nature once again caused the 'wet' to evaporate back into the air.

As Ron and others have suggested, plugs out, in gear, turn the engine over with the back wheel. Get some oil circulating and seals kept moist, and stop clutch plates sticking. Starting needs to be followed by a ten mile run to remove internal condensation. Five minutes on tickover will cause more problems than it will be perceived to solve. I've heard it said that 60% of an engines wear takes place in the first 90 seconds from cold. Tyres pumped up hard, or (preferably) off the ground if longer than a month. Mines on the deck, but gets moved around. Some say fuel tank empty. I prefer full, but drain the carb bowl. Bloody E10 crap.

Had a neighbour once who used to jump in his car, start the engine in gear with foot on the clutch, then launch off at high rpm. He got through engines like most get through Weetabix. He wasn't one for listening to advice.

Back