Top dead center

Add

Hi I've got a 1988 Harley sportster and trying to find top dead center because I'm putting cam gearing back in.
am I right in thinking the cylinder to work off is the back cylinder (cylinder 1)

I looked at loads of vids but did not mention about top dead center but thanks for the reply mate

Just done my own build go on hammer performance website in the vid tech section there is the best vid out there with hammer dan a whole set of vids including how to do the cam chest there is a total list of building a sporty engine from the best in the states all done in laymans terms and simple to follow 👍😎

Reactions: Add
Just been reading through 1986 to 1990 workshop manual (99484-90) and there are only two pages on the timing chest assembly and no mention of TDC. TDC is mentioned in ignition timing and only front cylinder TDC is flywheel marked. Would you like me to post picture of said pages..?

Hi paul trying to post hammers install vid for him but phones not having it any chance you can ? It covers what he needs rearly well 👍😎

That was interesting, he even answered a question that I had (why not champher the lip of the main bearing edge instead of the cam lobe) and I was very surprised the Evo Sportie didn't have cam shims like an ironhead. Also a bit shocked there was no lockwasher on the pinion gear, looked in my manuals and there had been up to 1990. With the oil pump gasket and its vital importance I'd be inclined to make the surface tacky with non-hardening sealant. That gear holder is shown in my Clymer manual as a "Jims" product - wonder if it is in the clubs tools..?

well put together info video and these guys do it often and know what works and what does not i found the site a boon when putting mine together and between them and Alex (fast lane) it’s turning into a torque tool just what i am after there is also a reference list in there of what heads cams ect will interchange/fit other model years 883 or 1200 plus a proper exhaust list with pipes set up on the dyno on their mule to show which are good and which pipes are crap most useful when used with sportsterpedia another good sporty reference site (y) :cool:

Back