Trailers.

C

cookie

I've heard that H-D don't make or don't recommend any type of trailer to use on their bikes, is this true? or where can you get information on one?

Cookie

Trailer

Trailer

Hello Cookie,

I think you're right about HD not making or recommending a trailer. The owner's manual for my bike says that you should never pull a trailer as this may cause tyre overload, unstable handling, reduced and reduced braking efficiency.

When I enquired at the stealership they told me that they could fit a tow bar for me so I'm not sure how this squares with with the HD advice. I've certainly seen a few being towed.

In the end I got a tow bar through an independent for about 150.00 (if memory serves) and fitted it myself. The tow bar came from Khrome Werks, P.O. Box 30, Hamel 55340, Germany. I did have to change the metric size towball that came with it for an imperial one.

I then bought a Watsonian Squire trailer on ebay (they don't seem to come up that often). Watsonian Squire are on t'internet. The guy I bought it from had supposedly toured all over Europe towing the trailer without mishap.

I have only been riding for just over a year and have only towed the trailer for about 150 miles so far, behind my Ultra, but haven't noticed any problems in those few miles.

I don't know where you are based but I'm in Lincolnshire. In the unlikely event that you're in reasonable riding distance you would be welcome to come over and try towing my trailer if you get a towbar fitted, to see how you get on.

All the Best!

Paul (BKone0)

Re: Trailers.

lordmartin said:
look www.watsonian-squire.com
they also will (or did) make just a towbar to fit your paticular bike whatever it is.

quite so they supplied mine, bit of an over kill as it is for a soft tail not a road king,
and at about ?70 I dont see any cause to complain.
as for HD not endorsing tow bars FTF
the troubles i've had mainly revolve around the inferior oem rear shocks, primarily because they are like most things hd fit the nastiest and cheapest they could source.
just for reference as the roadking has front and back adjustable air suspension ive found with trial and error that no air in the front and loads in the rear keeps it pretty stable, as for the rear's i changed to progressives and these will take 75psi.
Ive towed mine half way across sweden and came back with the towball bent backwards on the bolts:eek: soon fixed by bringing the fish plate lower to the frame:D

Thanks all for the info, it gives me something to think about....

freewheel uk ltd
cornish way
noth walsham
norfolk
01692 500300.

these guys are brill, the will make any tow hitch for any bike and they fit while you wait,had my trailor of them some years ago for my goldwing,
can highley reccomend, alan young is the gezzer to speake to.:D

Also used freewheel to supply and fit towbar. (think it was about ?120 )fitted in stainless. Fitted it while i waited and helped me coz when the idiots at the dealers put the braided brake lines on they fitted the wrong brake line (too short) and fitted the banjos pointing downwards so when i hit one of the many potholes on the way there and the banjos hit me mudguard it moved the banjo and all me brake fluid pissed out all over the A14. Took me by car to a local independant to get some DOT4 fluid and helped me bleed it all thru at no charge too. Good people and well priced would recommend.

hi reference trailers been towing trailers on and off since they were legal on solos had 8 trailers and 12 different bikes with tow bars the latest being a sporty towing a freewheel international trailer the biggest freewheel make but had to upgrage the standard crap shocks to koni progressives now handles well at well over the speed limits the only draw back to towing is no third lane on motorways and leave extra room when pulling back in after overtaking the plus side you can carry as much gear as you need with no affects to handling try it you will love it safe riding gadget!

ANYONE KNOW GOOD SITE FOR GETTING A SMALL TRAILER,:confused: as i seem to be carrying a lot more stuff these last couple o yrs

try www.freewheeluk.net they make at least three different size trailers all good tried had them all over the years got the big international now and have towed it at the back of my sporty no problem after i junked the standard shocks just fitting a tow bar to the ultra her indoor takes everything including the kitchen sink when we go camping frame tent cuddly toy etc etc

Back