Transmission Oil Question

TimH

Club Member
Since changing to Amsoil Fully Synth my RKC has developed a slight weep from the Output shaft seal, yes I should have changed the seal when I was in there recently but didnt and as its only slight I want to wait until after the summer before I strip all the primary out again. Im wondering if a heavier gear oil might help ? What are the gear oil specs for a 6 speed ? 75/90w? anyone put heavier stuff in? Thanks

It might be worth a try, the thicker the oil may do the trick, but either way there really should be no leakage.

Changing the subject TimH - did you get to Weston bike night on Thursday? I did, what a fantastic turnout, a few videos of the 1st June turnout now on Youtube. Out of interest, as I approached Weston a few miles from the sea front, I overtook a 2010 Road King, two up and wearing a hi viz - was that you by any chance?

It might be worth a try, the thicker the oil may do the trick, but either way there really should be no leakage.

Changing the subject TimH - did you get to Weston bike night on Thursday? I did, what a fantastic turnout, a few videos of the 1st June turnout now on Youtube. Out of interest, as I approached Weston a few miles from the sea front, I overtook a 2010 Road King, two up and wearing a hi viz - was that you by any chance?
Yes I was at Weston, but no that wasnt me, Im strictly Solo. I was there pretty early, got right at the front

Are you sure it isn’t from the inner primary seal, they are more prone to leakage.
Hope not, thats the one I changed because of just that. No, I could tell that the output seal was leaking when I had the pulley off, my bad I just couldn't be bothered to wait 10 days with the bike in bits.

Since changing to Amsoil Fully Synth my RKC has developed a slight weep from the Output shaft seal, yes I should have changed the seal when I was in there recently but didnt and as its only slight I want to wait until after the summer before I strip all the primary out again. Im wondering if a heavier gear oil might help ? What are the gear oil specs for a 6 speed ? 75/90w? anyone put heavier stuff in? Thanks
I used Redline shockproof (75/140) until it disappeared from the shelves during the Wuhan flu debacle. As I've been happily using Morris's V-Twin engine oil for years I contacted their tech department for advice. They recommended their Lodexol XFS 80/140. As good as Redline, which reappeared post-lockdowns at an over-inflated price, and better value too.

Hope not, thats the one I changed because of just that. No, I could tell that the output seal was leaking when I had the pulley off, my bad I just couldn't be bothered to wait 10 days with the bike in bits.
If it was already leaking then I doubt if using heavier oil will offer you much of a solution.

Back