ullysses rust and stuff

carldruid

Club Member
had 2007 ully since oct. Been using it for commuting to work and noticed all the paint has come of the silencer down to bare metal now, wheel bearings gone rusty and pock marking on the front disc. Never used power wash on it just hosed down to keep salt etc at bay. Do all buells do this or is it just crap finish? Oh rear brake ain't worth a shit too. But the bike sure puts a grin on me mush evry time i ride it. My 2004 night train hasn,t rusted like this and has done 10,000 miles. Any ideas anyone?

Re: ullysses rust and stuff

You obviously show more love and affection to your NightTrain!

Or it's the short cuts over the fields!

Gordon
:60277EB7B04744289C0

I thought there might be a problem even an alfa romeo i had didn't rust this quickly! is the warping disc a recurring problem or just a dodgy batch? The disc looks true enough but the pitting is something you'd see on an early eighties jap bike. Perhaps they're not built to play out on in the winter. Should be fun in the snow going to work on it tomorrow though, Maybe i should put knobblies on the Night train now that would be interesting!!:tongue::tongue:

Took my 15 month old Buell XB12 into the Doncaster St.Leger dealers yesterday and showed them my rusty exhaust and they're going to swap it under warranty no problem.

But................... was told that it would only rust exactly the same again within the same time !!!! But they said they would keep changing it as each time it's replaced the 2 year warantee would start again.

You would think they would sort this problem out rather than expect to change everyones exhaust every year or so ????

Unless they're just relying on riders putting after market exhausts on the bike like a Harley rider would !!!!

Hellooo!

As said all buells have a shocking finish to the exhaust and anything other than a new one from the crate will show signs of rust. The factory exhausts are just sprayed thinly with heat resistant paint.

My XB12 Ss had a really bad exhaust and i took it in under warranty and they said about replacing it and i said i wasn't interested unless a new one was better then the origional one to which i was told "theyre the same".

I gave the dealer (Oxford HD) the details of a local firm who would ceramic coat the exhaust (also known as cam coat). Dealer spoke with HD who accepted this and it was all done under warranty.
The ceramic coat is grey in colour so they oversprayed in matt black. I have to say that it looks far better than a new one now!!

As for finish to the rest of the bike, unfortunately its know where near as well finished as a Jap bike which is a shame especially regarding the price they cost. Having said that i have had no other big issues other than exhaust and the cheesegrater corroding (also done under warranty). I guess i have learnt to live with it and providing i wash it regulary i don't have any more complaints.

Hell of a scream to ride!!!!!!

Don't know where you are but i can advise of places that do ceramics coatings in Oxford, Warrington and think i have details of a place in chesterfield?? (not sure on that one).

Just had a call and my new exhaust will be fitted next wednesday :439:

At least it'll look nice for a few weeks :D :D :D

I am just buying a new XB12R and the subject of exhaust was raised. I opted for a stainless one, but was told if I stayed with the original I would have to wait for it to rust, after which the dealer could make a claim to H-D UK and get it refinished with a durable coating.

So try your dealer first! :wink:

Back