Ulysees X vs XT

snowflake

H-DRCGB Treasurer
OK guys, I've got the hankering for an 'Ully', but which one?
I've heard the X is better for both road and off road, and the XT a better (road) tourer.
I have some mates who go off all over Europe on their BMW GSs but I just can't do the same on the Pan :wink: :439:; wanting to be different I think the Buell would be a good option, and I've always been a bit partial to the Ully.
What you think?

Re: Ulysees X vs XT

The XT is for people with short legs Ha...Ha.... I have had an X for 4 years & still haven't found a better all rounder. Mines an 07 model so it has the extra travel suspension over the XT but it doesn't have the extra steering lock of the XT. I also added an 06 seat as its more comfy. It makes the seat height 35" though. Get a test ride on both & then choose what's best for you.

DSC00369.jpg

The XT comes with

A slighly shorter seat (about an inch i think)
Heated grips
Side and Top Panniers and rails etc
Different front mudguard setup (the X has a high supermoto style one and the XT has a conventional tyre hugging one)

And thats about it, apart from the above they are exactly the same.

I had a X that had been XT'd by the dealer with all of the above except the heated grips (i later added them)

Great bike and i would have another one without any doubt.

available for good money nowadays as well

The XT is for people with short legs Ha...Ha.... I have had an X for 4 years & still haven't found a better all rounder. Mines an 07 model so it has the extra travel suspension over the XT but it doesn't have the extra steering lock of the XT. I also added an 06 seat as its more comfy. It makes the seat height 35" though. Get a test ride on both & then choose what's best for you.

DSC00369.jpg

The XT comes with

A slighly shorter seat (about an inch i think)
Heated grips
Side and Top Panniers and rails etc
Different front mudguard setup (the X has a high supermoto style one and the XT has a conventional tyre hugging one)

And thats about it, apart from the above they are exactly the same.

I had a X that had been XT'd by the dealer with all of the above except the heated grips (i later added them)

Great bike and i would have another one without any doubt.

available for good money nowadays as well

Thanks guys, I'm looking to buy probably at the beginning of next year when I get back from my next 'sojourn' and so should have enough cash to splash. Was looking more towards the XT as it comes better fitted, and then possibly make it more rough-rider friendly. That said, I have read that it (the XT) rides very well on rough/dirt tracks....I wouldn't be looking to do anything more than that. Is it true that the post 08 models have a better engine setup?

Thanks guys, I'm looking to buy probably at the beginning of next year when I get back from my next 'sojourn' and so should have enough cash to splash. Was looking more towards the XT as it comes better fitted, and then possibly make it more rough-rider friendly. That said, I have read that it (the XT) rides very well on rough/dirt tracks....I wouldn't be looking to do anything more than that. Is it true that the post 08 models have a better engine setup?

The 08+ had the thunderstorm engine which is "said" to be better, but they had thinner headers which strangles the motor apparently, best thing is to get an 08+ then fit 07- headers:D

Mine was a 57 plate last of the older engines

with the luggage off

25082008083.jpg

loaded up

bbike_880.jpg

I don't think it matters wether you get an X or an XT, fun bikes to ride but with crap build quality. My XT is 19 months old now, I've always enjoyed riding it but if I knew then what I know now I'd have bought a Triumph Tiger or BMW GS.
Buellpickingup.jpg

Quality ?
Buellexhside.jpg

Buellexhrear.jpg

I forgot about the bags, with the side bags on it's wider than my Road Glide

The standard silencer is a common problem. It is covered by warranty. They will either replace it with standard or replace it with a cam coated system. But to be honest. A stainless Stealth system is only ?300 quid. Alot less that some of the systems I've bought for my Springer, Ultra classic's, Streetglide or even my wifes Sportster, 2 X Street bob's or her Dyna Sport. As for reliability, Many USA riders have reached the 100, 000 mile mark virtually unscathed.

It's like owt else... yer pay yer money and take yer chances..

I love my Uly. It does everything I want from it...:smile:

as for the bags. I use the Caribou luggage and it's no where near as wide as any glide I've owned. They are Pelican cases. used by most expedition riders & drivers. The bags width measure exactly the same as the width of the bars.... If the bars can get through a gap... so can the luggage..

I've heard from someone else about the reliability issues.
I guess you take the choice when you buy the brand - a bit like Harley really.
Maybe it's a psycological (problem) about always trying to be different.... :wink::439:
I think I'm sold on an XT (fully loaded) which I can then adapt.
Will still look at other breeds though in the intervening period....

I forgot about the bags, with the side bags on it's wider than my Road Glide

Very nearly any modern 'other brand' bike with panniers is wider than a full dress Harley! It amuses me these days when travelling with so called touring BMWs and the like to see how obese they are compared with my svelte 21 year old Glide.

You really should have sorted that silencer under warranty. I was warned when buying both of my Firebolts about it, that Harley would only entertain a claim when the darned things had gone rusty, but would then sort the problem out. As it happens Buttercup has a swish stainless one, with twin outlets. :439:

My 08 XT Uly is awesum and has a stainless Quill with stainless 07 headers so max power with no rust issues:439:Apart from the rusting standard exhaust, two of the main other issues is the wheel bearings which are crap as standard as is the belt pulley tensioner.:frown:
I have done all the mods and added a few tweeks which makes it much more comfortable/enjoyable to ride than my old Road King. Fully reccomend and if I get my redundancy as looks possible unfortunately it will be for sale:frown:

Last edited:

Very nearly any modern 'other brand' bike with panniers is wider than a full dress Harley! It amuses me these days when travelling with so called touring BMWs and the like to see how obese they are compared with my svelte 21 year old Glide.

You really should have sorted that silencer under warranty. I was warned when buying both of my Firebolts about it, that Harley would only entertain a claim when the darned things had gone rusty, but would then sort the problem out. As it happens Buttercup has a swish stainless one, with twin outlets. :439:

It's on it's third silencer, the cam coated one is now rusting. I spoke to Steve Loxham at Black Bear about it, he claims HD won't pay for another and just do as he does and re paint it. My Buell is still under warranty until Nov. but I doubt HD will do anything as their current policy regarding bad finish on paint or chrome seems to be blame the customer. I doubt my next toy will be a Harley product, Victory is starting to look very promising.

I doubt my next toy will be a Harley product, Victory is starting to look very promising.

Victory don't make Buells! A decent stainless silencer is hardly difficult. A difference between Harleys and Buells is that Buell owners don't feel the need to change the exhaust to get the right noise, but are obliged to do so for other reasons, as we have discussed!

Nobody makes Buells any more and I can see why HD stopped production, but WTF should I lay out ?300+ for a stainless exhaust that will be louder than stock because the manufacturer can't be arsed to do the job properly. I don't recall saying I was changing the Buell anyway but I was thinking of changing my bagger and with the product Harley Davidson are turning out now they won't be getting ?20,000 plus from me.

Nobody makes Buells any more and I can see why HD stopped production, but WTF should I lay out ?300+ for a stainless exhaust that will be louder than stock because the manufacturer can't be arsed to do the job properly.

For exactly the same reason Harley owners lay out.......

What's the difference? :eek:

I don't recall saying I was changing the Buell anyway but I was thinking of changing my bagger and with the product Harley Davidson are turning out now they won't be getting ?20,000 plus from me.

You didn't make that clear old chap! Will you be buying noisier silencers for your Victory?! :D

Victory seem to be well put together BUT when it comes to resale its NOT a Harley and has a limited market:wink:

Bump... :60277EB7B04744289C0
'08 X for sale at Edinburgh Harley......still tempted, although now feeling slightly skitso what with my Knuck/Road Glide fund now also looking like an Ully fund..... :redface:

Back