Undertaking

Baff

Club Member
Just came across this on Bikers Forum

Undertaking or nearside overtaking

I often get asked about undertaking or what is referred to as the nearside overtake. The most common example is usually found on a Motorway when it is clear and we get the centre lane hogger.

Many TV programmes over the years have gone on about it being illegal, but the reality is that nowhere in current traffic law does it say that an undertake is illegal. The reason for this is that apart from the centre lane hogger, congestion is often found close to Motorway slip roads during the rush hour and traffic build up becomes substantial. It is not unusual for lanes 2 and 3 (the centre and outside lanes) to be stationary whilst lane 1 (the left hand lane) remains empty.

If traffic was prohibited from passing along the nearside, then the congestion would be worse than we currently experience. At the same time, (going back to the centre lane hogger) it is not always practical or safe when you are travelling at 70 and someone is doing 50 in lane 2 to go from lane 1 to lane 3, bearing in mind that lane 1 is the normal driving lane.

So is it legal to undertake? Well it is not illegal. The only offence open to the prosecution is either dangerous or careless driving, but to prove these offences it has to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the standard of driving fell well below that of a reasonably safe and competent driver, therefore the sole act of a nearside overtake is insufficient. However, weave from lane to lane at high speed, then it may be a different story.

So this raises the question of "What if I decide to undertake and the car in the centre lane decides to move back into the inside lane?"

The driver in the centre lane however does commit the offence of driving without reasonable consideration for other road users (which is a subsection of careless driving), and they also have a statutory duty of care to ensure that it is safe to return to that lane before they actually start to change position.

Now, I am not suggesting for one minute that we all go around undertaking everytime we are on a Motorway, but there are occasions when it is reasonable for a number of reasons, and the courts are now recognising this and have found in favour of riders who have undertaken, where before the rider may have decided against making a claim on the basis that they believed that they committed an offence.

Again, it all comes down to the circumstances and the evidence available.

Re: Undertaking

yep - its all about knowing what's in the highway code.

Interesting... I didn't realise it was not actually illegal. Most times I've seen it done they've been pretty shocking though.

One night in the car I left a 50 zone into a 70 on a dual carriage way, I was up to 70 quickly but this young lad behind me with a lass in the passenger seat decided to sit on my ass then decided to try and under take me... only when there was a truck in the left lane, me in the right, with about a small cars length between me and the truck and he squeezed through there! What an absolute tit. I hope his lady friend wasn't impressed.

I have mixed feelings about centre lane hogging. Quite often when I do motorway miles I will sit in the middle lane for the following reason. The traffic in the nearside lane is usually travelling far below 70 mph, due in part to HGV's, trailers, caravans, etc. Most of these vehicles don't leave a huge gap between each other, so to try and drive at a sensible speed (one where you can maintain good progress) in the nearside lane will necessitate multiple instances of changing between lanes 1 and 2. Each change of lane is a far more risky manoeuvre than simply sitting in lane 2. When I spot a decent gap that I know I can slot into for a while I will do so, but I don't intend to be weaving in and out for the whole journey.The people who should really be taken to task are 1, those who join the motorway and go diagonally into the outside lane immediately, 2, those who want to do 2 x NSL in the outside lane, and 3, the outside lane hoggers - known as Gandalfs (you shall not pass!)I quite expect to get flamed for this, it wont be the first time.

I have mixed feelings about centre lane hogging. Quite often when I do motorway miles I will sit in the middle lane for the following reason. The traffic in the nearside lane is usually travelling far below 70 mph, due in part to HGV's, trailers, caravans, etc. Most of these vehicles don't leave a huge gap between each other, so to try and drive at a sensible speed (one where you can maintain good progress) in the nearside lane will necessitate multiple instances of changing between lanes 1 and 2. Each change of lane is a far more risky manoeuvre than simply sitting in lane 2. When I spot a decent gap that I know I can slot into for a while I will do so, but I don't intend to be weaving in and out for the whole journey.

There's always a good reason to stay in the middle lane as you do, and as I do too. The decision to pull over often depends on what's happening behind me, and too few drivers use their mirrors enough to know. It's those stupid bastards with no good reason that may make me think of going inside them (carefully).

I know the ones you mean, doing the same speed in the middle lane as those in the inside lane. Dickheads.

I clicked on this link in hope that it might be a discussion around a possible new career opportunity.:cool:

My (limited) understanding was that if the right hand lane traffic is moving too slow then left hand lane traffic may go faster (as on an exit slip in congestion etc). Where you cross the line is literally when you cross the line by moving into the right hand lane after undertaking, effectively making this an overtaking manoeuvre from the inside lane.I expect the slower you are moving the general traffic is the more justifiable it is. Overtaking traffic at 80+ whilst the traffic in the outside lane is doing 70 may be seriously frowned upon.

No reasonable reason to be in the middle lane for ages, it's just laziness. Middle laners just can't be arsed to get over as they're supposed to.
Having said that, whilst on the motorway, I keep an eye out for those who habitually middle lane and when they're close pull out in front and sit there in front of them. They don't half get annoyed and flash me, like they've got some divine right to be there and I don't.
I do the same to non indicators, yes I know I'm the last person you'd want to meet on the motorway.
I do concede however, that due to narrow gaps between vehicles on driving lane (inside) I understand that people shouldn't have to dodge back in as soon as they can-just when there's a reasonable space, but what we're talking about here are those that do sixty plus miles on open road in the middle lane (I've seen them) and my understanding is that the rozzers can now take drivers to task over it , but I've not seen it happen.

Back