Uneven wear on brake pads

vincent

Hi fellas,recently changed the 21" front wheel on my '03 Softail Standard for 16" from a '99 Heritage. Got the spacing wrong by 7.0mm or nearly 9/32"! :eek:
Doesn't sound a lot but it sure made her handle like a bitch :eek: Went on a 200+mile trip with it wrong and scared the sh$t out of myself :eek:
Had new axle spacers turned up and fitted and also had to space out the caliper by the same amount,handles much better now :cool:
Problem is,I now have some pretty uneven wear on the pads(Assume this has been caused by the spacer problem)so my question is will the pads wear back even with use or should I be replacing them ASAP?
Also,just as a small aside,took advice on the wheel swap before I changed it and was told that my original spacing was ok. Someone asked me if I had a Wide Glide front end(I wouldn't know one if I saw it :confused: :eek:)would anyone know what difference this would make and what length spacers I should be using.
All help greatfully received....thankyou

Re: Uneven wear on brake pads

Assuming that you have the spacing correct now, REPLACE THE PADS. Never mess with brakes.
Pre & post 2000 wheels are very different, not just the wheel bearings but also the offsets for the brake discs & calipers, need to make careful measurements.
Set up like you had it I imagine it was quit a handful:eek:

You be carefull
Vince
dont want you falling off and breaking your arm
:D :D
Make sure you get it sorted before the weekend
or you definately will think I`m a Jonah.
take care matey. and as Phil says dont take risks wiv ya brakes
just change the pads this will act as an indicator of whether the spacers are right or not. after a thousand miles you can mic em up and compare.
see ya on Friday mate
Spicey

if the pads are so uneven, what potential can happen is the heat builds up excessively in the thiner one resulting in premature failure, and I wouldnt want to be around let alone be riding it:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi Vince
Your 03 softail standard has a wide glide front end as OEM ;)

Back