USB port, hub & COM allocation?

Fast Lane

Club Member
I'm trying to run a program on Windows 7 and the first stage is to go through the data port setup. My laptop has 3 USB ports and I've plugged the interface cable into each one and going through device manager I got the following information. The first port identification is 'port 1, hub 3', the second is 'port 2, hub 3' and the third is 'port 2, hub 4'. The problem is that the program is asking me for the COM port? Any idea which USB port is which COM port or any advice on how to find out?

Last edited:
Re: USB port, hub & COM allocation?

I have come across old mapping software that requires a serial port. Had to find an old lap top that still had one. I think you can buy serial to usb adapters nowadays.

We could be heading in the right direction - it's an old program. I had to buy an updated version of the cable a few years ago with a USB connector to replace my old one that had the 9 pin connection when I got a new laptop. It's the software for the Daytona Twin Tec adjustable ignition unit but I've just checked their website and I have the latest version.

I like it when somebody like Alex (who's undoubted talents are more than amply demonstrated all over this website) has as many problems as I do when things don't work how you want them to on a computer - it makes me feel less useless!

I like it when somebody like Alex has as many problems as I do when things don't work how you want them to on a computer

Ha ha ... I'm not bad with a spanner but these things drive me mad.

Yeah Steve I have the right driver. It's sorted now, I took the long way round but simple enough for a computer challenged brain like mine to understand. I connected the cable to one of the USB ports and then selected the COM 1 option in the program and tried to communicate with the ignition unit - nothing. I then went to COM 2 and tried again - still nothing. I got to COM 6 and it worked so I was able to download the maps for each of the adjustable settings on the unit. Out of curiosity I tried the other USB ports and they also worked on COM 6. So each USB port (port 1, hub 3', 'port 2, hub 3' and 'port 2, hub 4') all work on COM 6 .... Eh? Think I'll stick to cylinder heads.

Back