V twin panhead 1948-1965 shovel 1966-1969

devon.john

Club Member
got this book a week or so 734 pages over 200 are shop data and dope
not cheap but really worth adding to your book collection

JS8x2PQoTK6vr7ELhpQMVw.jpg

looks an interesting book john. where was it from?
is it a new book or vintage?
whats 'dope'? is that a spelling mistake? can't figure it out?

its a new book its got what they refer to as shop dope as well as shop data .
Beans paint & parts were advertising it on Facebook,,
a lot of information and original part numbers plus V- twin replica parts ,,

Jay, there are several reprints of old factory tech notes etc, they are called "Shop Dope" and are readily available from people like Antique Cycle Supply (who print them) - they can have gems of info but also pages of barely relevant stuff as well.

gottya, 'shop dope'. never heard that before.
i guess it's referred to as 'dope', as in a soft-drug for the reader?
most of us would be happy with a service manual for bedtime reading, like others a joint or crack-pipe?
i've always struggled to read novels, fiction etc. i've made an effort in latter years, with some success.
but a haynes manual on an austin allegro or semi-conductor data-sheet can keep me entertained for hours/days.
shope-dope, like it. it's on my radar now.

gottya, 'shop dope'. never heard that before.
i guess it's referred to as 'dope', as in a soft-drug for the reader?
most of us would be happy with a service manual for bedtime reading, like others a joint or crack-pipe?
i've always struggled to read novels, fiction etc. i've made an effort in latter years, with some success.
but a haynes manual on an austin allegro or semi-conductor data-sheet can keep me entertained for hours/days.
shope-dope, like it. it's on my radar now.
but you did read One Good Run the Bert Munrow story scratch_head scratch_head
when i got the pan &shovel book ,you came to mind ,,,

You hear the term "dope" used in old US films from the 30's and 40's. It usually means information. For example, you might hear Humphrey Bogart say - "what's the dope on the dead guy"?, or "get me the dope on the blond dame" etc.

Reactions: Ron
john, yeah i did.
i struggle to stay interested in any book, unless it has 'somehting' i can relate to/interest in?
that may seem obvious, but guys on the ship on a weekly basis just pull books from the library and read them. going through tens and tens of them in a year. as i read a sentence, or a paragraph and it's like i have no recolection of it at all. often repeating it, sometimes more than once.
i think i've read four books, mainly autobio's in as many years.
i've read a shit load of data sheets though, the big twin tuners guide, SU tuning, machning bullshit allsorts.

You hear the term "dope" used in old US films from the 30's and 40's. It usually means information. For example, you might hear Humphrey Bogart say - "what's the dope on the dead guy"?, or "get me the dope on the blond dame" etc.
i've only come across 'dope' as a fool/idiot type; 'what a dope'. or slang for marijuana or other type of drug; 'score some dope'.
mmm, i think i'll have to try and adopt it into my everday language?

Mentioning Burt Munro, our past chairman and editor John Andrew used to correspond with him for many years before the film came out. John was able to sell his letters after Burt died for a useful sum.

Last edited by a moderator:
B-U-R-T M-U-N-R-O. ... writes an indignant Kiwi, whose dad used to watch Burt do his pre-Bonneville speed trials on the flat empty roads of the Cantebury Plains, near Christchurch.....

and .... ''shop dope'' is a pretty well-known term even though it is obsolete usage now.

Back