Vance and Hines 3" slash cut "quiet" baffles installation.

Gez

Club Member
Looking to put the above in over winter. Just want to tone down the noise a little.
I know they are awkward to install so looking for advice from anyone that has installed them as to the best way?

Mmm.... thought they would have been at least a few owners that have installed quiet baffles. (BTW, FXLR Low Rider 107)
Anyway, removed one of baffles to take a look at what is installed as standard. the baffle looks like a competition one but is of "twisted" appearance.
The ends are of 60mm diam and the central section is waisted down to about 47mm. The end sections (60mm) are only about 30mm long before they waist down.
I reckon I could wrap these myself with fibreglass to make my own "quiet" baffle. Would save a fortune. Looking online the fibreglass is secured by wire (faff on) or clear packing tape (easier).
Has anybody tried this mod?

Gonna try and put a photo of removed baffle on thread tomorrow.
Looks like you can get S/S cable ties that could hold fibreglass in place instead of wire etc.

The quite baffles are quite different and not straight through, it seems from your description that you have the standard baffle fitted.

I have fitted two sets in M8 Twin Slash V&H and a fair few in other variations.

20220119_101635.jpg
Quite on the Left, Standard (Shorter) on the right.

20220119_101803.jpg

Quite Baffle with end cap & smaller circular holes

20220119_101749.jpg
Standard straight through baffle with twisted fluted cuts.

They are larger and more restricted than the quite type used in the Straight Shots and do tone down the sound more.

396993_3559596889177_508699805_n.jpg

169207_3559523807350_1518632765_o.jpg

The above are the older Straight Shot Baffles, Quite to the left, Standard to the right:-note the circular holes are much larger at the top with no wrap to cover the top section, with the quite baffle being shorter than the Standard

They can be relatively easy to get in or need a battering with blocks of wood, they are basically longer than the standard baffles so this can be an issue.

The other main issue is with the the wrap, in effect cling film covered, riding up as you push them in! Don't remove that cling film or you'll never get the wrap in, also trim any loose strands off that are sticking out (as seen in the very top picture) as this can easily get caught up and pull the wrap out too!

Then once in the next tricky bit if they are tight is to line up the screw hole.

As they are longer and going into the pipes further where the previous baffle wasn't if tight a pipe expander may help as will lubrication and / or some rubbing down/grinding off any bits sticking out, and don't forget the lubrication!

Last edited:
Thanks SJC69.
Attached a photo of baffle. Looks like a bit of a hybrid? It's got a nice waist on it which I think would accept a wrap of glass fibre. Difference in diameters between centre section and ends is about 13mm = 6.5 useful depth for wrap = 1/4". I reckon it would accept a 5/16" thick fibreglass wrap nicely. Away this weekend so gonna get back on it soon.
SJC69, do you think it can be done OK? Might not take much off the decibels but if it doesn't work out it can do no harm?

IMG_4597.jpg

Finally managed to wrap the baffles from the "silencers"
Used fibre glass wrapping from Bikermart. The waist on the baffles aren't really deep so only managed one wrap on each baffle (about 3/8"). Used clear parcel tape to hold together. The insulation is supposed to "expand" as the threads holding it together burn off, allowing it to expand. We'll see.
Ran the bike in the shed and seems a little quieter on idle but not sure there's much difference overall. We'll see when I take the bike for a run

IMG_4695.jpg

Managed a decent run out today (after replacing battery and waiting for weather improvement)
The bike IS quieter. The edge has been taken off the decibels, to just about where I want it. Using different fibre glass may make a difference either way, but I'm happy with the outcome and glad I tried it.

Did this on my home made baffles in standard pipes on my old dyna Fat Bob. It made the noise just right once the matting had expanded fully. Had to re-do it at about 10k mile intervals so don't throw your spare material away :)

Back