Vance and Hines

M

Micey

Hi all,

While out riding the other day, one of by girlfriends boots melted on my exhausts. I tried to get the mixture of rubber and plastic off, but I have left a few scratches and it really lets the bike down. :mad: I bought a replacement set of pipes and screamin eagle 2s on ebay (?120) which are a bit better but they are still not as good I'd like, so I was thinking about getting Vance and Hines either Big Shots or Long Shots. Anyway, after that long intro, my questions are... has anyone got these pipes and if so are they any better (performance and sound etc) than screaming eagles and do I need to fiddle with the engine management stuff to get them to perform right. (I already have a stage one tune)

Oh by the way, I have a Fatboy 2004 injection model.

Cheers folks....

Re: Vance and Hines

I've got big shot staggereds on my EFi nightrain with "quiet" baffles in. I would expect that you would need a different download from the one you currently have.

IMHO they look and sound better than any other pipes I have encountered on a twin cam. That said, it's purely a subjective opinion and you should try to experience different pipes first hand before you make a choice.:cool:

Hi Paragon,

What are the quiet baffles then? I assume they still sound as loud as the Eagles? Are the baffles easy to take out?

Just an update,

I spoke to a guy in a workshop who builds custom bikes and he said that the stage one tune would be fine to accomodate Long Shots/Big Shots. Does anyone reccommend I get anything else done to the engine to suit?

Cheers...

Micey said:
Hi Paragon,

What are the quiet baffles then? I assume they still sound as loud as the Eagles? Are the baffles easy to take out?

The quiet baffles are a straight replacement for the stock ones. Easy to install and they basically take out the harsh metalic ring that you get with the pipes as standard. They are far from quiet.

As regards the download, V&H have a comprehensive set of downloads covering every permutation of filter and pipe alternatives. I wouldn't therefore assume that your stage 1 download will suit a different set of pipes. I'm sure it will run but you might be causing some valve damage if it's over lean for instance.

My wife melted a boot heel on my exhaust.
Only sympathy I got was 'You owe me a new set of boots'.:(

Micey said:
Just an update,

I spoke to a guy in a workshop who builds custom bikes and he said that the stage one tune would be fine to accomodate Long Shots/Big Shots. Does anyone reccommend I get anything else done to the engine to suit?

Cheers...
Are we talking EFI? Stage one will def. run lean with long shots.
Some kind of aftermarket device will be called for,or we have found a 1550 stage one download works well with that set up.

So how loud is 'quiet'? Can you work on the quiet baffles to make them even quieter?

Why do they put thier feet on the pipes.this has happened to me before .if I take novice pillions I tell them not to before we set out.I had some v/h ruined like this but had the tail pipe re done..I think the only way to stop this is to get a single saddle..

zipps said:
Why do they put thier feet on the pipes.this has happened to me before .if I take novice pillions I tell them not to before we set out.I had some v/h ruined like this but had the tail pipe re done..I think the only way to stop this is to get a single saddle..

Best way is to make the feckers clean it off after them :eek: :D

littleredroadster said:
So how loud is 'quiet'? Can you work on the quiet baffles to make them even quieter?

I'm lead to beleive they are 3db less loud which is a fair bit as it's an exponential scale. Not unacceptably loud in my opinion and a more pleasing deeper note than standard. I wouldn't suggest adding any more sound damping as you would alter the flow of gas with unpredictable results.

Back