Vintage & Sportster 2023.

Added to Calendar: 04-08-23, 05-08-23, 06-08-23

Hope to pay a visit with 45 on the Saturday as the Benly 2LS in sporty hub has vastly improved confidence in making it to where I am going!
Highlight of the year,without a doubt.

this was how I had it fitted to sporty --basically I like idea it came off a 62 benly ....same year as sporty went to full width hub.
Got it from a guy who bought job lot of parts from the states--I worked out it had been modified to suit early sporty from bracket that came with it---however suits 45 leading link better ,as honda geometry was very similar.
sorry I dont have pic from other side of 45 but you get the gist

DSCN0177.JPG

mcdonald hotel aviemore.JPG

For the youngsters...

This is a Honda CB92 Benly 125. 15bhp @10,500rpm in 1959.

rec11699-1_7.jpg

The superbikes of the time, such as the Sportster and the BSA and Triumph 650s, had 8 inch single leading shoe brakes.

Ahh! had forgotten that the Bennie was also leading link, makes it even more appropriate - I'd probably do much the same as I would like the better braking more than the authenticity, especially just as a car pulls out in front of me!

(hmmm, wonder what horsepower the 45 puts out at 10,500rpm......?)

interesting pic ---I was in the science museum in Edinburgh ,a couple of years ago when I was trying to work out what bike the brake plate came from(no one could identify it when I brought it down to the V&S pre covid when it was fitted to my stroker)......when I came to the section on innovations...and they had one motorbike--yes !! at last I knew what it was,however,there must be something about braking on a jap 125 that suits 350lb--450lb harleys, as I have also fitted a rear caliper from a later model 125 Honda on my rear 67 barnes hub Kosman disc set up on the Belland sporty TT flatracker.--It also works the other way about ,I once fitted a compete early sporty front end to a 350 T90 triumph ----which turned out to be just about right!!
If you can get one, I would recommend it over other classic drums(I have a pic of stock sporty wheel,fitted to WR in classic racing in the states)as the swivel section on the center boss of the brake plate allows the springers to work much more freely(it even has a grease nipple!)
The linings even came with racing green(normally not recommended for road use), but surprisingly is very controllable.
You are welcome to try it out Paul,at rally (hopefully if I make it)

Very nice offer but I know I can't make Baskerville as well as Perrys (following weekend). Anyway, for your certain pleasure here are two interesting Forty-fives - the brown one is at our Brighton Super Rally in 1979, just a really appealing machine and the blue one is at Perrys in 1983, front end works well on it and I recall the owner saying it was a very nice all-rounder (haven't seen it or him for some time..).

scan0009.jpg

PE 1983 -16.jpg

Nice pair of 45's.
Never had a Benly, but the CB72 had a twin leading shoe front brake, that was good too.
Don't think the standard WL front drum would stop a Benly.

thanks for that...I was at the Brighton rally....but it was a long time ago!...nice bikes!red bike early heads, Cast Iron?
I agree about stock W L drum(and have the forks to prove it)
2 years ago during my road trip to Baskerville in the van (when I first aired the 45)
I picked up a set of genuine 1941 (long) forks to suit the Holister look I was after,complete with stock brake.
On inspection (dunno why I was suprised) there was evidence of crash damage---hence I still have the cheapo DNA forks fitted,that do the job and keep the "look" I am after(same length)
I know that 2LS brake plates can be had for stock upgrade but as Paul said ,authenticity is fine and depending on what degree of compromise you are prepared to put up with , self preservation can come into play.

P.S.the CB72 is a fine brake ,and an example of all of the above comes into play in my choice for front stopper on Goliath Rep.( apologies from digressing from the thread).
HD had access to Aermachii parts and Belland chose a 220mm2LS Oldani,I could not afford one but picked up a couple of 180mm 2LS fromYam. YD5--they work but just as importantly they were available in 1967 when Jim built(for the factory) 2 bikes for lawwill and Brelesford-my forks are modified HD but other than that, like his bikes-- only rear engine mount and engines are from the factory

matz 70 mark brelsford XLRsm.JPG

Back