VOES Part 2

Ex3t3r

Club Member
This is the VOES part number for my bike: H-D 26555-91 now obsolete (only able to find second hand one's in the USA)
So have ordered a after market one with the following part number H-D 26566-91 which is for a 1991 FXR and so
to the question in hand, my VOES operates at FLT Models - 5.0-6.0 in. of mercury [170 - 200 millibar]
but the FXR operates at a lower setting of FXR Models - 3.5-4.5 in. of mercury [120 - 150 millibar]

So does this slight pressure operating difference really matter?

Ps. My existing VOES is faulty hence the need to replace

Attachments

• VOES testing FXR.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 146
We used to fit sporty ones with single fire ignition upgrades as they gave a better curve with high compression and/or lumpy cams made em a tad smoother on the pick up and response depending on cam so dont lose too much sleep over the difference 👍😎

I was surprised when you said you could not get a VOES, Drag Specs for one sell a verity of them, either as direct replacements or at different variations of vacuum operation and a look on their US site shows them available in stock a multiple warehouse locations so it would appear to be no shortages!
I also think on a relatively stock tuned bike it will not make much different having the different one!

1677493995862.png

1677494391095.png

I was surprised when you said you could not get a VOES, Drag Specs for one sell a verity of them, either as direct replacements or at different variations of vacuum operation and a look on their US site shows them available in stock a multiple warehouse locations so it would appear to be no shortages!
I also think on a relatively stock tuned bike it will not make much different having the different one!

View attachment 1193302

View attachment 1193303
I did look at these but I could not find my OEM part number H-D 26555-91 equivalent so went for the nearest operating pressure instead, and was unsure about the 'custom switches' that operate at the pressure I needed so I just took a chance. But thank you for the helping hand

The settings for VOES touring bike models account for heavier weight of machine and possibly luggage/pillion.

I personally would not use VOES for an FX/FXR on a FLH/FLT, and vice versa, when the switches are not that hard to find.

The catalogue page pictured above unhelpfully only offers H-D cross-ref part numbers for lighter bikes i.e. Softail/Sportster/FXR fitments. There are no H-D numbers for a touring bike VOES there.

Donny Petersen's Evo bible confirms that the vacuum setting for a touring Evo VOES is 5-6HG.

I would pick up a cheap 26555-91 or predecessor 26555-84 off eBay. I'm sure they will be set the same.

Or a 5HG or 6HG from the ''custom'' switches on offer through that catalogue - go the higher number if you are fully loaded and two-up a lot.

You will certainly do no harm at all with an FXR-setting VOES on your touring bike. But it may not perform as it should under some circumstances, I am guessing.

And if you want to muck about and reset the FXR one you have bought, then go here for full details. Very few pages from the internet 20-25yrs ago are still being regularly recommended for tech info in the H-D world, but this is one of them. It pops up on countless forums even now....including right here LOL. http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html

Last edited:
Ok let us know what cam cubic inch carb and pipe your running and i will check my old lists for comparison. all a voes does is move the timing/advance curve about to allegedly improve rideability and mpg and emissions harley introduced em as a fop to the c.a.r.b to get their bikes through the emissions regs in that state and by using different ones we could play with the curves better to suit different cam compression and cubic capacity, it was necessary as bad ignition timing will kill a newly put together build in short shrift and it was a lot easier than buggering about with pumps and the like

Ok let us know what cam cubic inch carb and pipe your running and i will check my old lists for comparison. all a voes does is move the timing/advance curve about to allegedly improve rideability and mpg and emissions harley introduced em as a fop to the c.a.r.b to get their bikes through the emissions regs in that state and by using different ones we could play with the curves better to suit different cam compression and cubic capacity, it was necessary as bad ignition timing will kill a newly put together build in short shrift and it was a lot easier than buggering about with pumps and the like
As requested:

Cam: H-D Stock
CC: 81.6 cu-inch
Carburettor: Screamin Eagle Evolution 1340 Hi-Flo Carb [See attached]
Exhaust system: After market 2 into 2 (Loud silencers) non-branded

Other details:
Electra Glide (sport) 1991 FLHS

Hope this helps watchman

Screamin Eagle_2.jpg

right i have had a look and as the bike is basically stock apart from carb and mufflers my sheets aren’t covering as usually we built them to 10.5:1 compression with some port work and uprated cams with crane ignitions and we used sporty ones on dynas and fxrs ie lighter bikes and the glides used a heritage softail voes for a better advance and as kiwi Dave rightly said the fxr would bring the ignition to full advance too early/aggressively for your set up
are you sure the stock voes is goosed ? When you suck on one you should hear a slight click as the switch activates usually given the age of the part its the thin pipes or the elbow running to it that perish causing leaks and the switch to not activate and some of the pipe is teed off to the fuel tap if stock causing fuel starvation (pulled my hair out looking for this one)
the old adage “suck it and see” applies here (y) :ROFLMAO: Give it a test

right i have had a look and as the bike is basically stock apart from carb and mufflers my sheets aren’t covering as usually we built them to 10.5:1 compression with some port work and uprated cams with crane ignitions and we used sporty ones on dynas and fxrs ie lighter bikes and the glides used a heritage softail voes for a better advance and as kiwi Dave rightly said the fxr would bring the ignition to full advance too early/aggressively for your set up
are you sure the stock voes is goosed ? When you suck on one you should hear a slight click as the switch activates usually given the age of the part its the thin pipes or the elbow running to it that perish causing leaks and the switch to not activate and some of the pipe is teed off to the fuel tap if stock causing fuel starvation (pulled my hair out looking for this one)
the old adage “suck it and see” applies here (y) :ROFLMAO: Give it a test
Removed stock VOES from bike to carry out a work bench test, set up a vacuum test kit I use in my work tested it to the manufactures negative operating pressure 5.0-6.0 in. of mercury [170 - 200 millibar] multimeter read OL/open line/circuit so I know it has failed but considering its 33 years old that's not bad

The settings for VOES touring bike models account for heavier weight of machine and possibly luggage/pillion.

I personally would not use VOES for an FX/FXR on a FLH/FLT, and vice versa, when the switches are not that hard to find.

The catalogue page pictured above unhelpfully only offers H-D cross-ref part numbers for lighter bikes i.e. Softail/Sportster/FXR fitments. There are no H-D numbers for a touring bike VOES there.

Donny Petersen's Evo bible confirms that the vacuum setting for a touring Evo VOES is 5-6HG.

I would pick up a cheap 26555-91 or predecessor 26555-84 off eBay. I'm sure they will be set the same.

Or a 5HG or 6HG from the ''custom'' switches on offer through that catalogue - go the higher number if you are fully loaded and two-up a lot.

You will certainly do no harm at all with an FXR-setting VOES on your touring bike. But it may not perform as it should under some circumstances, I am guessing.

And if you want to muck about and reset the FXR one you have bought, then go here for full details. Very few pages from the internet 20-25yrs ago are still being regularly recommended for tech info in the H-D world, but this is one of them. It pops up on countless forums even now....including right here LOL. http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html
Update:

Fitted my new

Update:

Fitted new VOES allbeit for the FXR instead of the correct FLH for my model with no noticeable performance issues also replaced the stock
Screamin' Eagle electronic ignition module too for a ULTIMA IGNITION MODULE [Single Fire] and the bike is running so sweet just thought I would add these comments from my own personnel experience

Back