Weeping Oil, Should I Cry?

Steppenwulf

Non Member
Lately the front cylinder has started to weep oil between the barrels and the rocker cover/ cylinder head and also from the banjo type bolt on the breather pipe. I took off the air cleaner and it needed replacing cos of the oil fouling it up but I also noticed water in the crossover pipe and some emulsifying occuring.

I have changed the oil at 1000 miles and been paranoid about not overfilling. The engine is a bog standard 2000 twin cam with 15,000 miles on the clock...:confused:

Re: Weeping Oil, Should I Cry?

Could be a number of things starting from the simplest, too much oil in the pan, and/or *hammering it* forcing oil out whever it can quickest.
Breather baffle in the rocker cover clogged and/or a mis-aligned oil pump.
Never heard of a baffle becoming clogged though, worth a thought.

AFAIK the 2000 models use the metal ones (breather baffle housings), they went to plastic for a couple of years and they warp with excessive heat, don't think thats your problem though.

Steppenwulf said:
Lately the front cylinder has started to weep oil between the barrels and the rocker cover/ cylinder head and also from the banjo type bolt on the breather pipe. I took off the air cleaner and it needed replacing cos of the oil fouling it up but I also noticed water in the crossover pipe and some emulsifying occuring.

I have changed the oil at 1000 miles and been paranoid about not overfilling. The engine is a bog standard 2000 twin cam with 15,000 miles on the clock...:confused:
Did you take the bike on the trip?
I will try not to be long winded John but...... The 2000 touring bikes had some issues with oil blowing from the breathers under certain circumstances.
With the right combination of: Being loaded, constant highway speed, high ambient air temp & pulling up grades (see where the trip question comes in) they can get a build up of oil in the rockers & cam compartment & blow it out of the breather.
In 2000 the scavenge side of the oil pump was made smaller to put it into the Softails, this was the cause of the problem.
I would be prepared to bet another bottle of your fine hooch that if you thoroughly clean everything & re-assemble, use the bike for your everyday purposes you will not have a problem until you subject the bike to the same circumstances again.
The issue was & is quite prevalent here where I live: heat, grades etc, but should not be in Conwy.
Any gear heads going `why would a softail oil pump be different?` pm me:D

by the sound of it you've been doing short journey's hence the water and emulsion caused because it didnt get up to temp.
walk to the chippy in future:D

those S&S reed valves work in twincams
((edit 2000 model doh) and there is apparently an evo version now.)

if it were a scavenge problem that would cure it for good.

more like a rocker box full of butter?:rolleyes: caused it to leak:)

ps mine does it too:D :D :D

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go with Phil on this as I very rarely do a short run and I did take the bike to Portugal where she was subjected to long hard, hot days on the road. I have cleaned it all up and am now pootling around as per normal ;)

Phild said:
would a softail oil pump be different?` pm me:D
Introduction of the wavy washer, tighten up tolerances and stop oil trickling down through the pump drowning the crank, in models with a higher oil tank that is.
May as well standardize them for all models eh? And they did. ;)

Footnote, my 2000 RK had the later style with thinner gerotors and wavy washer.

Exactly Dermot, which left the scavenge side just barely able to do the job (typical).
Under the right circumstances the oil will build up in the cam case until it blocks the head return......pool in the heads then blow out the breathers..
Our Jonathon may never have the problem again hopefully.
He just need to stay away from warm foreign climates:D

Got money to burn? (shudup ST :D >insert reed valve comment here<)
Fueling pump, nice chunky gerotors.....Nice chunky price too.

Phild said:
Our Jonathon may never have the problem again hopefully.
He just need to stay away from warm foreign climates:D

Flippin' great and there was me almost getting used to ridin' in the warmth :( . So the answer is to move to the Falklands :eek:

harleyhog said:
Got money to burn? (shudup ST :D >insert reed valve comment here<)

I'll stick with my free oily rag at the mo and see what happens over the next 1000 miles. Winter time might be when I have a look see how much margerine has built up under the covers, until then I will not ride in temperatures above 20C, keep under 3000 rpm and 60 mph and avoid all inclines all together:mad: road 'bollo'king cheapskates at HD :mad:

harleyhog said:
Got money to burn? (shudup ST :D >insert reed valve comment here:p :p :p <)

ermmmmmm what this about chunky bits:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steppenwulf said:
Flippin' great and there was me almost getting used to ridin' in the warmth :( . So the answer is to move to the Falklands :eek:

I'll stick with my free oily rag at the mo and see what happens over the next 1000 miles. Winter time might be when I have a look see how much margerine has built up under the covers, until then I will not ride in temperatures above 20C, keep under 3000 rpm and 60 mph and avoid all inclines all together:mad: road 'bollo'king cheapskates at HD :mad:
Ride it like normal, or is that what you mean:eek:

Phild said:
Ride it like normal, or is that what you mean:eek:

ha ha ha :p

You're now getting an even larger jar of pickled onions, wether you want them or not! (US customs might be paying you a visit for importing a poisonous compound if I'm lucky :D).

Back