Who's got a Mikuni?

snowflake

H-DRCGB Treasurer
Who out there has a Mikuni on their ride?

I swear by them, but can understand why some folk feel otherwise.

The poit here is:

Firstly. To see how many Mikuni users we have on this Forum.

Secondly. To benefit from advice from other folk's experience.

I have a Miki 42 on my 95 CI Dyna with 2-1 SuperTrapp Supermegs, it works a treat, but I think it could work even better.

Does anyone else have a 42 on a 95CI and if so what needles/jets are you using?

Re: Who's got a Mikuni?

Got a 45mm on my '00 Dyna - 1550 + SE 203 cams, Supertrapp 2-1, Forcewinder & Crane Hi-4 ignition.
45mm might be too big for a relatively 'standard' bike but works fine for me. I bought a 42mm for the Sportster recently but haven't fitted it yet so I might give it a try on the Dyna just to see if there is a discernable difference. I rate the Mikuni just because it was so easy to set up and have never had to adjust it since! I do prefer the choke arrangement on an S&S though, the lever is more maintenance free than a cable but I suppose that's being a bit picky!!;)

Been considering fitting a mikuni.

What are the benefits of a Mikuni and what size carb is best suited to a stock Evo engine? Does this carb effect fuel consumption or should this not be the case if set up correctly?:)

Yep I fitted one a couple of years ago on my Softail custom with single fire ignition and Samson pipes :D bloody superb.

Music:cool:

As far as I know, in theory the standard CV should be the best carb because it responds to engine demand. A Mikuni is a flatslide so it's more responsive definitely but 'wastes' fuel a bit. You will notice a difference if you fit one though :) Fuel comsumption might go up a bit but not too badly. As with all things that make your bike go better there is a trade off! :D
I would say that a 42mm would be best for an Evo but then the S&S Super E I had on mine was great although thirsty! Unfortunately I think that along with exhausts, carbs are a lot down to personal preference. One person will swear by one type, one person by another...know that doesn't help much but if you have the cash go for the Mikuni!! They sometimes come up on eBay which is where I got the 42mm for my Sporty. If you are buying new try Guernsey H-D who do free post and no VAT (and sell Zodiac etc so you don't have to have Screamin' Eagle if you aren't fussed)

yes a 95" yes a 42mm mikuni and standard cams.
what does it go like?
rapid.
tuning? standard needle up one slot, standard pilot & pump nozzle, if memory serves me correctly 180 main.
fuel ecconomy poor, it does all the tricks according to the manual using the roll on roll off method,
but I'd like to play around with the pilot jet size because I beleive it to be a standard and when I spoke to the tuning wizzard at TPEng he told me the pilot he would recommend was a 21.
I just need to source some jets to play with, and some needles would be nice just to compare the difference. and then slap it on a dyno, till its right,
but so far I feel reluctant to buy the whole KHS-025. too mean at the moment:( (or poor:eek: )

the comment Smallhog made re the CV keihin is spot on.
it should work but frankly it being a carb driven by manifold depression it falters due to the lack of vacummn at the inlet.
a smaller throat would make it behave better a smaller throat would increase the air velocity in the manifold.
but as said its a carb driven by the engine,
The Mikuni is an engine driven by the carb.

S.T.Chapman said:
yes a 95" yes a 42mm mikuni and standard cams.
what does it go like?
rapid.
tuning? standard needle up one slot, standard pilot & pump nozzle, if memory serves me correctly 180 main.
fuel ecconomy poor, it does all the tricks according to the manual using the roll on roll off method,
but I'd like to play around with the pilot jet size because I beleive it to be a standard and when I spoke to the tuning wizzard at TPEng he told me the pilot he would recommend was a 21.
I just need to source some jets to play with, and some needles would be nice just to compare the difference. and then slap it on a dyno, till its right,
but so far I feel reluctant to buy the whole KHS-025. too mean at the moment:( (or poor:eek: )

Simon,
Keen to hear how it goes - I too heared about the recommendations on the Pilot Jet, but was biding my time until I could (a) be arsed to do it & (b) get someone to do the hard work and confirm that's the case.
I can get hold of the Miki Jet Kit quite easily so if I do it before you, I will let you know.
SF

Got an HS40 (old 'un) on the flhs. Been ok so far. the only hassle i had with it was when i picked it up from the dealer, the float hight was set to low so would start to cut out above 60. Simple to sort out. It's sensitive to filter cleanliness. Drinks a lot more juice if the filter gets dirty (about 5k miles).
Works for me.

I don`t get involved in the Mikuni questions as I am not as big a believer as many over there & tuning over the internet is tricky at best.
Plus I don`t need to, as Simon could better me at it, what he says goes (literally).

Yep, fitted one (or rather got someone who knows what he is doing to do it for me) last year, noticed a big difference in response and had no prob's with carb icing since, so no going back.

Maybe just how it is set up on my bike however!!!

I have a 42 on a formerly 80 cube evo it ran well. head work ev5 cam pipes etc etc

however on motorway at sustained speed it would really drink fuel, sometimes 1 up i would only get 100 miles out of a 6 gallon (US) tank. this was really bad on the Spanish roads last year where we were doing a fairly sustained 80 - 90 mph.

running the same set up on an 88 cube evo (bored out to 3 5/8 bigger valves etc ) and it is doing about 48 mpg, but have only done 700 miles so far, have not pushed at all hard and it is nowhere near run in yet, perhaps the jets as standard are too big for a stock evo, or perhaps i am a bit enthusiastic.... :D :eek: :(

run a 42 on wifes 1200 sporty, bloody nice smooth power band, not sure what economy is like though, she did 2000 miles with a stock CV last year so will run a comparison.

if it is power/ fun you are after i would always recommend a decent mild cam over carbs any day

SH

Strawhead said:
Maybe just how it is set up on my bike however!!!

I have a 42 on a formerly 80 cube evo it ran well. head work ev5 cam pipes etc etc

however on motorway at sustained speed it would really drink fuel, sometimes 1 up i would only get 100 miles out of a 6 gallon (US) tank. this was really bad on the Spanish roads last year where we were doing a fairly sustained 80 - 90 mph.

running the same set up on an 88 cube evo (bored out to 3 5/8 bigger valves etc ) and it is doing about 48 mpg, but have only done 700 miles so far, have not pushed at all hard and it is nowhere near run in yet, perhaps the jets as standard are too big for a stock evo, or perhaps i am a bit enthusiastic.... :D :eek: :(

run a 42 on wifes 1200 sporty, bloody nice smooth power band, not sure what economy is like though, she did 2000 miles with a stock CV last year so will run a comparison.

I had an old HS40 on my Evo chop and it worked a treat:) , it sounds like you've got the basic mixture wrong here as I cannot see why the mileage should be so high....Simon is tha man to comment further, so I won't make an idiot of myself:rolleyes: .

Strawhead said:
if it is power/ fun you are after i would always recommend a decent mild cam over carbs any day

SH

It still needs to breath tho, chuck in all the cam you want (mild or wild), if the engine can't 'Breath' (Carb) or 'Fart' (zausts) you are wasting time and money. That is of course my own opinion....:eek: :rolleyes: ;) .

OK, running a 42 on my standard 1340 Evo. 20 pilot, 50 pump, 97 needle, middle notch, 160 main jet. Fantastic improvement over the CV i had previously. No noticeable difference over the CV fuel consumption wise. Getting around 160-170 miles to the tank before hitting reserve. Plugs medium grey colour, NO popping or spitting back at all. Fuel consumption figure includes some city riding and motorway cruising around 70 mph. Carb is fitted to a Mikuni intake.

Yeah - bought a s/h 99 fatboy that had a mikuni fitted. consumption was rubbish so took it back and had it adjusted. Much much better now

KvF:)

had a hs40 on a stroked shovel it worked real good, gas mileage was a lot better than my evo with an s&s

carb is now on my panhead and it works a treat on this bike as well

Just fitted a brand new,never used before "old" HS 40 to my 1200R. Took a bit of fiddling with air cleaner adapters & cables, but it's a definate improvement on the CV. More responsive , starts better, seperate choke circuit (according to the instructions found on net), much less carb farting,yet to assess carb icing cos it's getting warmer. I think it may be running very slightly rich, but bikes going to All American for a service in a month or two so I'll have that looked at by a man who can.
Can't be running too rich though because i got about 20 miles further on my last tank of petrol before going on to reserve(Actually I bottled out and re-fuelled before it started to die, I hate that, it always happens at the most awkward time!)
Cheers.:D

What is a Mikuni :eek: ;)

I've no problem

I'll take my coat

Harry

Back