Windows 10

Ukkid76

Well Windows 10 is available free today......

Is it worth it?

I've watched a couple of demos on it and it looks like there mixing Windows 7 with windows 8....

At the moment I have windows 8 but only use the desktop side which is the old windows 7....

So not sure if I really want to upgrade??

Last edited:
Re: Windows 10

Big improvement over 8.1. Theoretically free upgrades for life. If I was running 8 I'd upgrade

Roger, any ideas on software compatability? i run openvpn for work and nothing is listed as yet as far as support goes. I have the free upgrade waiting for me to install but until i know openvpn works I wont do it.

We use a pay for VPN "Expat" and it worked fine on my other halfs lap top when she upgraded, we can watch BBC programmes over the internet.....

Not sure if that's what you meant buy hay ho!!

We use a pay for VPN "Expat" and it worked fine on my other halfs lap top when she upgraded, we can watch BBC programmes over the internet.....

Not sure if that's what you meant buy hay ho!!

sort of... :)

Mine is a peer to peer secure network that allows me to run all of the secure software I work on when working from home.

from wwhat i have found on line it appears to work so may give it a go later.. anything is better than 8!

I have got 8.1 (rather have syphilis) but haver not been able to upgrade to 10.

Had the misfortune to look at the Microsoft page, download patches that made no difference and followed lots of circular or broken we links.

All in all a typical Microsoft experience - but I would like to upgrade; so any help would be appreciated...

I have got 8.1 (rather have syphilis) but haver not been able to upgrade to 10.

Had the misfortune to look at the Microsoft page, download patches that made no difference and followed lots of circular or broken we links.

All in all a typical Microsoft experience - but I would like to upgrade; so any help would be appreciated...

You should have had an email from microsoft offering the upgrade, but you can go to the upgrade icon on your computer and it should work from there......

No Email.

There is no upgrade Icon and the patch to put it there has not worked.....round in circles; but thanks for the suggestion...

No Email.

There is no upgrade Icon and the patch to put it there has not worked.....round in circles; but thanks for the suggestion...

There are certain versions it will not update. Any enterprise edition is locked as is any version not running the licence verification tool, If you have an infect PC (virus or malware) that may not upfdate

I updated a number of machines yesterday from 7, 8 and 8.1. All ran smoothly. The release version of 10 is far superior to the technology preview edition and is a major improvement to 8 and 8.1 and a reasonable update for 7.

One word of warning - check any system utilities eg disk defraggers are compatible, I'm hearing reports of some wrecking the PC

Back