You CAN flush the ABS module at home.....with this tool

kiwidave

NOTE: ONLY FOR BIKES FITTED WITH ABS BRAKING 2011-2020, and ALL TOURING MODELS 2020-2023

When you are out of warranty on your new-ish bike, you might be like me and want to do routine servicing yourself.

And contrary to reports, you can do just about everything in your own garage/shed.

Obviously tuning and fuel injection issues are, for the most part, excluded from that. But the H-D fuel injection system is just as good as what's on your car and reported issues are very rare. And if your bike is tuned correctly (rolling road), it should be set and forget - in my view.

Now, if you are one of those owners who changes cams and pipes and tuners every spring, this tool may not appeal.

But if you're like me (2019 Road Glide) and you've got your modern bike just how you want it and you're riding it rather than changing it, and you have no intention of doing much else, read on......

The ONE job most of us can't do during home servicing is flushing the ABS module when changing brake fluid/bleeding brakes. This is deemed a necessity by the factory, but to do it yourself has required a very expensive scanalyzer tool that mimics H-D's Digital Technician, which is what they used in dealership workshops.

Aftermarket versions are made by Snap-On, Centurion, and Daytona Twin Tech, among others, but they are as comprehensive as the H-D DT and very costly, and IMHO only make sense if you have a couple of modern bikes and do a lot of tuning and parts-changing as well.

If you change brake fluid without clearing the module, I am reliably informed the ABS warning light flashes and ABS is not functioning. Well I paid all this money so I will have everything working, thank you.

There are a few YouTube videos that claim you can ''clear the module'' by a session of extreme braking.... I'd prefer to trust the Nigerian bank-transfer email I just received.

However a Seattle tech geek who rides Harleys has come to the rescue.

About 5-6yrs ago he set up a business called InfoTech Mercenary as a sideline to his software career, and proceeded to offer a software solution on an Android tablet for just this job. His tool does nothing else, it ONLY flushes the H-D ABS module and sends a single to the ECM that the job has been done.

In 2019 he upgraded with a second version that worked on all early M8s with ABS.

In mid-2019 H-D started tinkering with the software on touring models in preparation for the introduction of the Reflex Defensive Rider System, the collection of highly advanced electrical chassis controls. Those changes blocked the second version of the ITM ABS flush tool from working on those bikes.

It's taken the guy over three years, but at the start of this year he finally updated his HD2 model to work on ALL M8s with ABS up to and including 2020 and without active RDRS, even if the software was factory-tickled in preparation for it.

And just a couple of weeks ago he unveiled HD3 which works on TOURING models only, 2020-up WITH active RDRS fitted. A 2020-up Softail version will be next.

The ITM ABS flush tool has great reviews on an American Road Glide forum I have been on for 10yrs, and now ALL Harleys with ABS from 2011-2020 are covered, including V-Rods, and all touring Harleys with ABS/RDRS from 2020-up ... with more newer model coverage to come.

They cost around 140 quid plus shipping.

I've finally just ordered mine. Will report back when I use it. No more, in my case, paying $200 to a dealer or custom shop for a 10min job every 18 months or so.

http://infotechmercenary.com/shop/

Last edited:
There is also another somewhat cheaper contender in the Scanalyser market that has the ability to cycle the ABS and far cheaper than most and has the advantage of not being limited to buying licences for each bike, a consideration when you have multiple bikes. It will obviously do more than ABS.

https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/obdstar-iscan-harley-davidson-diagnostic-tool

I have been considering it for a while and hoping the may be a discount sometime, I suppose in reality what I was hoping for was V&H might upgrade the FP3 to include this feature as they did with adding the Ability to switch Cruise control one etc. probably not now the FP4 is out!

If you change brake fluid without clearing the module, I am reliably informed the ABS warning light flashes and ABS is not functioning
I have to say this is not the case and my personal experience on various Softail & Touring models from 2012 up to 2018 years has never been a problem replacing the fluid using such as a MityVac and drawing new fluid in from the reservoir and will be doing it again very shortly.

The issue is if you get air in the ABS pump for the want of a better term, this is when you need to cycle the valves to bleed it.

There of course the basic way of cycling the fluid through the valves by instigating an ABS event, i.e. lock the brakes to get the ABS to operate, it works!

Last edited:
That looks like the Mutts Nuts of Scan Tools. A bit expensive but does a lot more than just the ABS.
If I had an ABS Bike I would def. consider it. I am a Tool Junky! 😂

When I worked in B.T. we had a Tool Club. The ammount of Tools that came back damaged or broken was amazing. Torque Wrenches that were still set to 90 Ft lbs. Sockets that were used as if they were an Impact Tool and anything that would be considered “delicate”, Exhaust Gas Analyser, Meters, Colourtunes etc. not cleaned of greasy fingerprints.
Yes it would benefit the Club Members but I am guessing it wouldn’t last that long.
Just my 2 Penneth.

I am going to get an ABS purge tool.

When my bike went to the selling dealer they did the brake flush correctly once and incorrectly once. They left air in the back brake. The kicker was no apology and no offer of reimbursing extra petrol to return to shop to get it sorted out. However the price as part of the 2 yearly service was only a few pounds.

I foolishly didn't ask the price before going, I went to an independent recently for the brake fluid flush and I am going to say I was ripped off. Prices may have increased but when my car gets done for £46 I don't expect to have to pay £100 for a bike.

I don't know how the infotech unit works but I did read it needs to make a connection to his site. There is a concern if he decides to shut the site the gizmo will stop working.

This does look pretty good, at first I thought a bit pricey for a cable and app, but you do actually get a tablet too with the software installed, so seems pretty reasonable in fact.

As the bike has only just been done it won't be until this date in 2 years time I will need to be looking to have it done again. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Perhaps I am being disingenuous to the shop as thinking about it it took about 1 hour to do the job.

How much does it cost these days to make a living and that includes all overheads plus a profit for investment?

I know what you mean, many years ago I was "saturday lad" at Jack Lilley Motorcycles in Shepperton and so got to see the prices the shop paid. At first I was surprised at what I thought was a high mark up but as I also got to see the huge commercial venue rates paid, wages to staff even when barely a soul came to the shop, public liability insurance, losses due to theft or unsold stock etc and then you have to say why would they run a shop if they don't make something for themselves and their family.

Yeah, Riders Bristol charge 1 hour, @ £106. Its not there fault, and for the average Biker who does 4000 miles a year service costs aren't a big concern, but me who averages 15-20k I cannot justify that sort of cost at main dealers

There is also another somewhat cheaper contender in the Scanalyser market that has the ability to cycle the ABS and far cheaper than most and has the advantage of not being limited to buying licences for each bike, a consideration when you have multiple bikes. It will obviously do more than ABS.

https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/obdstar-iscan-harley-davidson-diagnostic-tool

I have been considering it for a while and hoping the may be a discount sometime, I suppose in reality what I was hoping for was V&H might upgrade the FP3 to include this feature as they did with adding the Ability to switch Cruise control one etc. probably not now the FP4 is out!

Well I bit the bullet as there was a 15% reduction from when I last looked and it has arrived, well packed from the guys in NI, whom I used before.
(£320 Delivered)

However as it's a nice day here down south, I'm taking advantage and will go for a run to High Beech before I look into setting the OBDStar IScan.

I will start a new thread once I have a good play with it especially regards the ABS bleed.

20231103_115116.jpg

Well packed and long lead to adapter to connect to bikes

20231103_115222.jpg

Both four & six pin Deutsch type connectors.

20231103_122849.jpg
And what appears to be the latest plug, will not be able to confirm this until I try it on a new(er) bike!

20231103_120750.jpg

Visible screen area 108mm X 65mm 4 1/4 x 2 /1/2"

@SJC69 I look forward to hearing how it goes, it’s something I’d buy as I do all my own servicing on my 2019 and it’s a bit of a pain going to to my nearest Indy.

Back