12v Power Feeds on the Pan America

Mark Hammond

Committee
There are a number of potential options on the Pan America for providing a 12v power supply to accessories such as mobile phones, sat nav’s etc which include, taking power directly from the bikes battery, utilising the usb c data transfer port on the side of the bike’s TFT display unit or utilising the heated clothing power supply ports that are provided under the bikes seat.

It is possible to use the usb c port on the side of the bikes TFT display to power a 12v accessory, however that port is not waterproof, so shouldn’t be used when its raining and usb c ports are known to wear out quickly if used repeatedly. The issue of possible wear on the bikes usb c port is a potentially serious one because it is this port that a dealership uses to perform diagnostic checks on the bike and a worn usb port could lead to a situation where its not possible for the dealership to perform diagnostic checks and software updates. Should you be unlucky enough to have the usb c port fail, at todays prices, the usb c port is currently listed at £75 plus vat, just for the actual usb connector. the cap is £24.95 plus vat so don’t lose it 😉😂

The bikes Bluetooth connectivity has been at best, patchy on my bike and the sat nav provided via the HD App on a phone which is in turn connected to the dash display via the somewhat unreliable Bluetooth connection, is a very simple sat nav system that is a bit clunky to use.

My chosen solution to having my mobile phone always charged, available to use as a reliable sat nav via any one of a number of navigation apps and available to use as a phone/media player via my headset is to use a Quadlock wireless charging head and anti vibration damper mount, powered via the Quadlock smart power supply which can be switched to only provide power when the battery is receiving more than 12.5 volts, or it can be switched to provide a constant supply. The Quadlock smart switch is powered from one of the switched live heated clothing plugs under the seat to ensure that the phone isn’t being charged while the ignition isn’t on, to prevent battery drain on an already underpowered battery.

The Quadlock smart switch comes with wiring to connect direct to the bike’s battery so a suitable connector to fit the heated clothing ports needs to be sourced and wired onto the Quadlock wiring loom. These are the connectors that I used for connecting to the bikes heated wiring ports. https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-m...qid=1694511199&sprefix=Dc+5.5,aps,102&sr=8-12

I have used the second heated clothing port as a switched live power feed for my TomTom sat nav which I already had and which has proven to be reliable over the last 3 or 4 years as a means of planning and following specific routes with waypoints and specific stop off points for regional ride outs. It also takes away the reliance on the phone as a navigation tool, which means on multi day trips away from a 240v charging source, I’m not trying to charge the phone on the bike whilst also using a power hungry navigation app. (In practice I’ve found that while using a navigation app, the Quadlock wireless charger will provide sufficient power to gradually charge the phone, but its a slow process due to the amount of power that the phone uses while running a nav app)

Taking power from the bikes sae battery charging point doesn’t work because the sae lead is wired to switch off whenever the ignition switch is in the switched on position and doesn’t provide any power output.

As usual, this post is being placed here to provide this information for owners or potential owners of Rev Max engined bikes. All bikes have potential problem areas and hopefully a little bit of knowledge shared, will help make the ownership of these bikes enjoyable and trouble free.

No need to comment on this post if you simply don’t like the Rev Max engined, or other modern Harleys. Lets keep this section of the forum a place for sharing information and asking questions about these bikes.

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2622.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not like the H-D navigation system, so I too used one of the heated accessory ports to connect my Garmin XT. I used Touratec mounts for this job, including the lockable XT mount (Other mounts are available). When at rally's I usually charge my phone through the SAE charging port that is only live when the bike is switched off.Touratec 1.jpgtouratec 2.jpgTouratek Locking XT Holder.jpg

I had a "spare" locking touratech mount for the garmin XT, and a 20 quid adapter off ebay, so ended up with a similar solution to Helmetbolt....Its been rock solid, and will hopefully discourage anyone from borrowing the XT when I stop to fill my face with cake 🎂. Personally I think the TFT has enough going on without trying to navigate on it too.

I had a "spare" locking touratech mount for the garmin XT, and a 20 quid adapter off ebay, so ended up with a similar solution to Helmetbolt....Its been rock solid, and will hopefully discourage anyone from borrowing the XT when I stop to fill my face with cake 🎂. Personally I think the TFT has enough going on without trying to navigate on it too.
Similar, I had all of the TomTom components and only needed to buy the adapter to mount my locking mount to the accessory bar. Mine is carrying quite a lot of weight outboard from the accessory bar mount and sometimes slips on the bar, so I’m going to drill the mount and pin it in position.

I’ve started a HDRCGB Pan owners group over on Facebook. Its quiet on there at the moment but next year I’ll use it to organise some rides and meets to get HDRCGB Pan owners together https://www.facebook.com/groups/317629857622509/?ref=share_group_link

Does anyone know what size the heated gear port is? My Keis vest does not seem to fit.

These are the male plugs that I used for connecting into the heated gear ports. The listing will give you the size. I’ve got a feeling you’ll need to use an adapter or cut the Keis plugs off and replace with the correct size.

What route did you run the power supply from heated socket to sat nav mount?
Lift the tank, and up the spine of the frame?

What route did you run the power supply from heated socket to sat nav mount?
Lift the tank, and up the spine of the frame?
There’s enough room to run the power supply under the black plastic trim that sits on top of the tank. Two torx head bolts at the front of the tank hold it on. Or, its possible to run the power supply under the tank on the left hand side and cable tie it to the part of the OEM harness that is sits in the same place. No need to lift the tank, there’s plenty of space to tuck the new power supply out of site under the tank.

Back