1340 longevity

Gasaxe

Club Member
Is 50,000 miles on a 1340 excessive or well within the longevity of these engines ?
anything that doesn’t wear well and may need attention at that mileage ?

Hi Gasaxe.

My 98 FXSTC has just under 40,000, so 50,000 is nothing.

I'm sure I heard that Hovvers Old EVO Electra Glide Sport has done over 125,000 miles.
So your bike has many years and miles ahead of it.

I think that the pushrods should be looked at / replaced around 40,000 miles.

Perhaps Alex (Fast Lane) can read this and answer this fully as to why.
Because its something I'll be looking to have done, probably this time next year.

If there are any big problems, I haven't had them on my bike so far.

For the rest; just keep the engine, primary and transmission oils and oil filter changed regularly
and check everything else as the service schedule says in your owners manual and your bike
should tun forever.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
regular oil changes is the key. there are a few members that have over 150k miles on original bores with no major issues.

Currently 74k and I don,t consider that particularly high. Usual Evo opportunities such as cylinder base gaskets, inner cam bearing and if you have a more enthusiastic cam then changing followers for something stronger is a good thing.

Not pushrods, the LIFTERS should be replaced every 50,000 miles. They are a wear item and failure can be catastrophic to your wallet.

Always buy American-made top-quality lifters. DO NOT buy the cheap shit off eBay.

The H-D Evo lifters used to be good. Not sure if they are still USA made.

Of course, if you still have stock pushrods, when replacing lifters it is a very good time to cut off the stock pushrods and replace with FULLY adjustable ones.

These allow you to do any lifters/cam chest work without removing rocker boxes. Be aware that some ''adjustable'' pushrods are not fully adjustable and do not retract enough to enable you to remove them with rocker boxes in place. Make sure you get the right ones.

Otherwise, with regular oil and filter changes, and maybe a rebore, rings and pistons very rarely, your Evo shoiuld outlive you.

Hi. Dave.

My apologies.

I was trying to remember a thread you and Alex were talking about lifters / pushrods and when to change them.

At least I have a around 10,000 miles or a few years before I need to get them done, plus we know who'll be doing it for me.

Have you any ideas as which compamies sell quality lifters / fully adjustable pushrods to get.
Perhaps I can start collecting the parts ready for the job to be done.

Anything American made. Check out Jims, S&S, Fueling make them I think, and probably best of all, Hylift Johnson. But do your research, not all may be US-made.

I would personally still use the H-D ones so long as they are not Mexican-manufactured now like the stock late TC-M8 ones. Check at the dealer.

Crane Timesaver pushrods were my go-to 20 years ago and never had an issue with mine, but no longer made. But bet you can find some new old stock on eBay.

Alex at Fast Lane stocks Johnson Hylift - I bought a set from him a while ago to fit this coming winter. They look to be really good quality.

Would these be worthwhile buy for the future ?

Genuine Harley-Davidson Screamin' Eagle Hydraulic Lifters / Tappets 18568-98 | eBa

As mentioned earlier in the thread , my 98 FXSTC is just short of 40,000 miles.
So will need the lifters replacing at 50,000 miles, which may be in 3 or 4 years.

Are these OK ? or would others such as the Johnson Hylift be better ?

All I would then need is a good set of fully adjustable pushrods, and anything
else required (seals, gaskets, O rings) and to have them fitted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, my 1991 Softail, which I bought new, and still own, has seen some heavy work over the years. It was my only transport early on, it got flogged on a regular basis too.
Then it was Sidecar time. Me, Lottie, Sian and Geraint, Family of four, in the "Chair", complete with Squire Trailer, off into Europe with The Wrecking Crew.
It then had a few years idle, when I couldn't ride because of a Neurological Disease, and after all that time, it fired!!! Ok, I did go and turn the Motor over regularly.
Anyway, for me, the Evo is a bullet proof Motor, and the Bike is a joy to ride!!

What’s involved with changing the cam followers ? One of the 1340,s I’m looking at had 40,000 miles on it .

FXSTCDave: those would be perfect.

GasAxe: Remove pushrods ..... lifter blocks .... replace ....

If you have stock Evo pushrods, you have to remove the rocker boxes also. It's a good time to invest in a pair of fully adjustable ones. So all you gotta do is cut off the stock pushrods, leaving rocker boxes in place.

If you have the workshop manual, it's simple.

Buy the H-D factory service manual. And the factory PARTS BOOK for your model. Together, they show and tell everything. Nothing else comes close to the value of the information in those two books.

...and when you either stop riding or sell that bike, those books should sell for what you paid fairly easily.

Hi Kiwidave.

Just made an offer on the lifters, it was accepted.

So I got them and saved £25.00.

All I need is some fully adjutable pushrods.

Mr Speed commented that Alex at Fast Lane stocks Johnson Hylift,
so I'll PM him to find out about them and how much they cost.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back