1340 longevity

My 1340 Electra Glide has 110,780 on it as of today…..

at 105,000 miles a lifter failed and scored the cam… so I treated it to new base gaskets, a new cam, 4 new lifters and whilst at it a new clutch and cable….

Here’s to 200k……..

Go on Fastlane Head Work website CLICK HERE. Lifters are shown as £170 a Set.

They're Twin Cam/Sportster lifters. I've only just got new stock of Evo lifters in but the shipping and VAT haven't been paid yet. It's looking like the Hylift Johnson 2303S (slow bleed) for Evo engines will be around £150 a set of four.

My first Evo in 1989 had done 55k miles. I had the bores honed and new rings but it didn't really need it. I'd gone through two regulators, an ECU and HT leads. Regularly maintained. Tried the Twin Cams but now back on the Evos. I was in the cam chest replacing the cam bearing (1997 Evo) so got some Johnson Hylifts off Alex at Fastlane and installed them as well. I couldn't bring myself to cut the original pushrods. 50k miles on an Evo is bugger all, just run it, if it aint broke don't fix it just regular maintenance and appreciation of the best engine Harley ever made........(good job it's an Evo forum there'd be a few picking up on that!)

My '87 FXR lost compression on rear cylinder at 105,000 (inlet valve) valve seats needed attention, upon strip down found the same rear inlet lifter roller bearings had a lot of wear, luckily no further damage, I fitted Crane lifters and another Andrews EV3 cam as the old one had got flaky, and reused original solid pushrods as top end was off, and I dont see the point off adjustables when we have hydraulic lifters... and I have read of adjustable pushrods coming undone I would recommend checking top end, heads off decoke and new rings & gaskets at 100k at latest, the Factory recommends lifters at 50k, but that is with 5k oil service, which is too long, 3,700- 4,000 is best interval for oil changes, before the oil breaks down, and change filter at same time. This Evo has now done 130k.
p.s. I wanted to do a top end overhaul at 50k miles but was dissuaded by other HDRC members, Yep that old adage if it aint broke dont fix it

Interesting that you use EV3 cam , mine came with one fitted and Not having anything to compare , I wondered if there was any loss to low speed tractability compared with standard or more bottom end cams as ev13/23 .
what’s your experience?

Hi Gasaxe, sorry for late reply, I was recommended The Andrews EV3 cam By a Mate in the U.S. who was running one on his FLHS, with a S.E. ignition module, and S.E. carb , this was in october '89 and the S&S Super E was not on the market at the time (this was in Milwaukee) or I would have bought one. The FXR has always had good low speed pick up and provides good grunt, After installing in 1990 when I got back from my U.S buying trip (£4,200 for a 2 yr old FXR, 18% h.o.g discount on parts at dealers, and the Cycle Empire To buy the other bits, Cam, P.M. calipers etc) I ran the FXR at the May 1990 Weston Zoyland Sprint and got a best time of 13.41 @103 mph over 1/4 mile, and then got 60+mpg on a trip to the Polish Harley Rally the same year, I have run the bike with this set up for over 32 years.
By the way has any one run a timed 1/4 mile on a standard Twin cam, always wondered if the T.C. was faster......

Is 50,000 miles on a 1340 excessive or well within the longevity of these engines ?
anything that doesn’t wear well and may need attention at that mileage ?

A mate of mine..a HOG member..has over 250,000 miles on his old evo glide. And still going strong.

The main parts that wear, are service items that the factory recommend checking or replacement at 50k miles, lifter roller bearings, oil pump drive shafts & circlips (that can fall off...) rocker bushings, if the bike has had regular oil & filter changes at 5,000 mile intervals these are service items at 50k, if the oil changes have been more frequent,(3,700-4,000 miles a routine I have kept to) and bike has not been thrashed from cold (too often!) then 100,000 miles is possible, My FXR lost compression on rear cylinder at 105,000 mls (rear inlet valve seat) I stripped the top end off, then found the lifter needle rollers on the same rear inlet lifter were kind of loose(!) I was lucky that the motor cycle Gods deposited the extra coke around the valves that prompted the strip down, or I could have been looking for replacement cases... I would say 100k miles maximum before a top end overhaul to be on the safe side, but listen for weird tinkly sounds, act immeadiatly.
P.S. I was going to do a top end decoke at 50k but my fellow HDRC members said leave it alone, when its not broke etc....

Back