40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

Wow that's interesting 3 bikes not requiring a test from next May. How will that affect your income Fuz?

Not that much Simon.
Most is pretty newish stuff.

40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

Three of mine are 40 and over. I appreciate a fresh pair of eyes giving them the once over however won't miss the will it won't it pass feeling.
Mixed feelings on this one.
Thanks Fuz.

Result!! i have 3 bikes already over 40 years old :)

Cheers Fuz, just talking about this with friends on Tuesday night!

Like Chaz I have mixed feelings on this. I was involved in the consultation for the existing pre-1960 cutoff a few years ago; the options on the table then were pre-1919, pre-1945 and pre-1960. I opted for 1945 and set out my reasoning as being, that virtually all vehicles from that point onwards are basically the same as today in the matter of controls and layout and therefore were testable with one set of skills; however there are virtually no vehicles dating from before 1945 which are still in daily use.

Pre-1960 though is a different matter altogether; whilst I concede that most are classic vehicles which only come out for special occasions, you're starting to venture into scenarios whereby stuff like old Land-Rovers, originally built in the 1950's but so modified that they're unrecognisable from the original but still legally a pre-1960 vehicle. Under the new legislation this fast-forwards to 1978 and it becomes obvious that this can be open to abuse; not only is there the potential to save over ?200 on RFL but now another ?40 on MOT plus the cost of getting a vehicle through it. I accept that the onus is still on the user to keep the vehicle roadworthy but give people a chance to save money and they'll do it.

I do accept that bikers tend, for fairly obvious reasons, to look after their machines more carefully than drivers do their cars, but then again we're also more likely to be the victins of other peoples' badly-maintained vehicles; for this legislation to work properly, DVSA (previously known as VOSA) will need to up their game, start spot checking more than HGV's and by doing so raise the standards of vehicle safety for ALL of us. I'd be interested to hear from our own tame "man from the Ministry" as to whether this is likely to happen.

you're starting to venture into scenarios whereby stuff like old Land-Rovers, originally built in the 1950's but so modified that they're unrecognisable from the original but still legally a pre-1960 vehicle. .

This is already covered under modified vehicles. It could affect custom bikes that are being ridden on old V5s but with modern frame and engine....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

Disagree with this concession. A person was recently charged when causing death by riding a pushbike with no front brake and hitting a pedestrian at about 18 mph. Motorcycles are still potential killing machines if not maintained to their design however crude. Each bike should to be tested at least to its manufacturing standard.

Hopefully this wont filter to vintage aircraft. :panic:

Last edited:

Like Chaz I have mixed feelings on this. I was involved in the consultation for the existing pre-1960 cutoff a few years ago; the options on the table then were pre-1919, pre-1945 and pre-1960. I opted for 1945 and set out my reasoning as being, that virtually all vehicles from that point onwards are basically the same as today in the matter of controls and layout and therefore were testable with one set of skills; however there are virtually no vehicles dating from before 1945 which are still in daily use.

Pre-1960 though is a different matter altogether; whilst I concede that most are classic vehicles which only come out for special occasions, you're starting to venture into scenarios whereby stuff like old Land-Rovers, originally built in the 1950's but so modified that they're unrecognisable from the original but still legally a pre-1960 vehicle. Under the new legislation this fast-forwards to 1978 and it becomes obvious that this can be open to abuse; not only is there the potential to save over ?200 on RFL but now another ?40 on MOT plus the cost of getting a vehicle through it. I accept that the onus is still on the user to keep the vehicle roadworthy but give people a chance to save money and they'll do it.

I do accept that bikers tend, for fairly obvious reasons, to look after their machines more carefully than drivers do their cars, but then again we're also more likely to be the victins of other peoples' badly-maintained vehicles; for this legislation to work properly, DVSA (previously known as VOSA) will need to up their game, start spot checking more than HGV's and by doing so raise the standards of vehicle safety for ALL of us. I'd be interested to hear from our own tame "man from the Ministry" as to whether this is likely to happen.

Disagree with this concession. A person was recently charged when causing death by riding a pushbike with no front brake and hitting a pedestrian at about 18 mph. Motorcycles are still potential killing machines if not maintained to their design however crude. Each bike should to be tested at least to its manufacturing standard.

Hopefully this wont filter to vintage aircraft. :panic:

Pretty much agree with these comments, all you have to do is speak with MOT testers - they see some real problems with badly maintained bikes.

This likely doesnt include most real classic bike enthusiasts though.

It's easier than you think to get caught out. My 45 hasn't needed an MOT for some years, although I think I do look after it pretty well. Nevertheless, out on a VMCC ride one day I pulled up at an inclined junction to turn left; as most of you know, on a 45 you need to hold the bike with the front brake because of the foot clutch setup, but to my consternation it rolled back despite me gripping the brake lever tightly. Fortunately I was already in first gear so managed to hold it on the clutch, when I got home I found that the front shoes were worn down to the rivets. New linings promptly fitted and just to be sure, I took it down to my local MOT testing station where they checked it on the meter and pronounced it safe and legal.

MOT test would certainly have picked that up before the riding season; luckily on this occasion it only caused me mild embarrassment.

Personally , I always MOT my 45. For the cost its worth it if you get in an accident and when travelling abroad. Insurance companies like any excuse not to pay out or reduce the value of it . There should be a test to a standard of when the bike was manufactured.
Cheers Leigh

MOT is only good for that day, there's a whole year for it to be non roadworthy.

Hmm, good point Leigh, I mean about insurance using it against you.

i run a 57year old car and a 67 year old bike ,,, i WILL take the car for a mot test every year as it will find things i might miss ,, the bike will get a check as well just to make sure it up to par ,,

peace of mind and i think the insurance companys will want so form of road worthiness check ,

john P1090323.jpgP1090437.jpg

That is quite interesting Phil and quite important that it should be read by owners of chops based on such old vehicles, it does sound a bit "interpretable" if anything should go pear shaped. (little bit concerned about the small print "further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced..."?)

Yep ther is more to come i recon.

Should be OK if you yave a bike that looks original but hard tail conversions and custom frames are definitely not compliant.

Though I don't consider myself the paranoid type (unlike those bastards who keep following me) I do think there are plenty of people in positions of authority or responsibility (judges/politicians/bureaucrats) who let their disapproval of motorcycles influence decisions they have to take which effect us.

(..and they also come into my house and hide my stuff..)

Back