40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

Re: 40 Year MOT Exempt Status Announced

Though I don't consider myself the paranoid type (unlike those bastards who keep following me) I do think there are plenty of people in positions of authority or responsibility (judges/politicians/bureaucrats) who let their disapproval of motorcycles influence decisions they have to take which effect us.

(..and they also come into my house and hide my stuff..)

I am not quite so paranoid. I can see the distinction between authentic vehicles that are being preserved or historic value and those that have been hacked to bits to make a custom vehicle. Up to now the radically modified vehicle classification has been around a while and a substantial number of bikes on the road would already fall fowl of this with VIN numbers transferred onto custom frames, Old V5 documents being used on modern customs etc. So far this has not been aggressively enforced. Also bikes that would blatantly fail a road side inspection being ridden with complete impunity... long may that continue, for now at least!

The MOT thing is a bit weird right from the outset but having gone this far it seems they are trying to get the age related issues and vehicle modification standards into some kind of order.

90% of riders it probably won't make that much difference but those with slightly "dodgy" paperwork may start to feel a bit exposed. Its already causing major ripples in the custom car community.

Its not too difficult to weed out the ones at risk. Modifications have to be declared on insurance forms and electronic V5 documents have been around for decades so any recorded modifications to bikes will have an electronic paper trail of some sorts.

The libertarian element of motorcycling is finally coming to an end though.

Last edited:

I'll happily take that all onboard, I acknowledge there are plenty of piss takers (bit like those with number plates the size of fag packets who have caused some of the tightening of plate sizes which ends up including those of us with a half inch here or there shorter) but I am thinking of such examples as when the European Court of Human Rights upheld the right to commit suicide but agreed bikers should be made to wear lids for their own good..!!??

(many years ago I was involved with AMADL - "the Association of Motorcyclists Against Discriminatory Legislation", later called Bike Free - which sought to fight unfair laws with facts. At that time the motorcycle accident rate was calculated on an average annual mileage of 2,300 which must have been lifted from some group of VMCC owners of pre-WW1 bikes. Cars were calculated at I think I recall nearly 10,000. After our campaign they altered it to 3,200, if you wonder did someone just switch the digits well all our interactions with them made us conclude it could be that simple and arbitary. Our huge petition campaign over a broad spectrum of riders was showing 8,000 which would have radically changed the m/c accident rate.)

The libertarian element of motorcycling is finally coming to an end though.

Perhaps; but it has to be said that certain sections of our community have contributed to its downfall. Put simply the burgeoning trade in old V5's is fraud. We shouldn't really be surprised or pissed off that the powers that be are clamping down on it.

Perhaps; but it has to be said that certain sections of our community have contributed to its downfall. Put simply the burgeoning trade in old V5's is fraud. We shouldn't really be surprised or pissed off that the powers that be are clamping down on it.

Not really related but when I started looking around at trikes I was amazed at the number of 'home builds' that had Reliant Robin V5's just because it had a reliant back axle and some others that had been further modified with V8 and different axle still on a Reliant V5

Not really related but when I started looking around at trikes I was amazed at the number of 'home builds' that had Reliant Robin V5's just because it had a reliant back axle and some others that had been further modified with V8 and different axle still on a Reliant V5

My favorite site for checking V5 details and MOT history. It can throw up some hilarious results for highly modified bikes.

https://cartaxcheck.co.uk

Proposed to start 20th may 2018, it' on the first page, next year you will be fine.

MOT exemption

MOT exemption

According to DVLA it doesn't come in until May 2018

As I understand it Dave the vehicle has to have its taxation class changed to "Historic vehicle"; if yours was registered in 1972 and says so on the log book then you qualify for the tax exemption; but as said above the MOT exemption (currently set at 1960) does not come into play until May 2018.

Why DVLA did not set it at 1 January 2018 is beyond me, since it would have made the logistics a lot simpler and reduced the risk of a log jam in the system in a few months time.

My past involvement with the DVLA seldom showed me signs of common sense in their working practices. (I'm not having a bitch - they really failed to be consistent or logical.)

BUMP!!

OK. My '60 Pan is clearly within this bracket and I've been happily riding sans-MOT for the last couple of years.

The other day I was updating my (free) Road Tax when I thought I would check what the official .Gov.uk site said about my MOT, not having had any reminders or anything.
To my horrified, it is registered on the .Gov.uk site as having expired and that I am apparently (according to DVLA anyway) riding illegally!

So I popped down to my local Post Office on the advice of an ol' Hairy Friend of mine to check with them and potentially send off a V112 and my V5 to DVLA, updating them as to my bike's Historic Vehicle status - which is stated on the V5 anyway in its Tax Status.......

The nice young lady (I feel old enough to be able to say that now! :drunk:) made me complete the V112 and the changes element on the V5 (join the back of the queue again), to then change her mind when I get back to the till, saying that it wasn't necessary and that the DVLA systems weren't up to date.....

Well, cue 'confused.com' (me), now what?

I was about to call DVLA, as after three days of waiting for an email reply this appears like the logical next step to check and make sure. But, I really hate those call centre thingies so thought I would ask you knowledgeable folks first.

Any thoughts?

Hi Rob

Apologies, only just spotted this. Just checked the DVLA site against my 45, MOT came up as "no results returned". I suspect that since your bike is registered as Historic Vehicle you are in the clear.

Parts of DVLA have been a bit of a clusterfuck ever since this damn virus kicked off, the post office clerk is probably correct.

Hope all is well with you.

I just read an article in the Daily Express online (dated yesterday) about classic cars. It suggested that a classic car that have had even minor upgrades (e.g. to suspension) may not be eligible for MOT exemption and drivers could incur a ?1000 fine as a result. It wasn't clear about the existence or otherwise of HISTORIC status, and seemed to be based on the requirement for vehicles to not have had major changes in the last 30 years, per the article.

Does anyone know whether this means that a bike that has been granted Historic status might still get the rider a ?1000 fine if it has no MOT and has been changed somewhat, as many Harleys have?

(I tend to get MOTs anyhow on the basis of giving some peace of mind about roadworthiness and a basis for arguing the same with insurance companies should the need arise).

Thanks

Mick

Link below, which may or may not work.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1365929/classic-car-uk-owners-mot-test-history-check

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1365929/classic-car-uk-owners-mot-test-history-check

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I wonder how it could be viewed if one had, say, a Morris Minor and fitted disc brakes..?

I wonder how it could be viewed if one had, say, a Morris Minor and fitted disc brakes..?
Exactly. And does it make a difference if the change was made before historic status has been granted, I wonder?

The modification has to be substantial.

Whilst disc brakes could be viewed in that light, I can well imagine the fun lawyers would have if the DVSA tried to prosecute someone for making a vehicle stop better.

My view is that there is a good side to this. If properly enforced it should put a stop to the nefarious trade in selling historic V5's to enable custom builders to avoid SVA testing. It really grates on me to see obviously modern bikes offered for sale as "registered as a 1962 Triumph" or suchlike. If it was a stock vehicle we'd call it "ringing" and campaign to have the vehicle crushed.

Exactly. And does it make a difference if the change was made before historic status has been granted, I wonder?

Yes, it does. In cases like this, the onus is on the DVSA to issue a "Q" plate if they have doubts. Vehicles registered thus do not qualify for historic exemption, though I believe there is some sort of appeal process.

Last edited:

DVLA have a points system for radically altered vehicles. If you score less than 8 points you need officially to go through MSVA testing then will be issued a Q Plate. If you get 8 points or more all should be good. It doesn't specifically cover Historic status, my personal interpretation is that if it's not officially radically altered it should be ok.
Part
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)
Suspension (front and back) - original
Axles (both) - original
Transmission - original
Steering assembly - original2
Engine - original

Get a ?Q? registration number

You will not be able to keep your vehicle?s original registration number if one of the following applies:

• it has fewer than 8 points
  • it has a second-hand or altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame
  • there?s evidence that 2 vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie ?cut and shut?)

My 76 Sportster is much altered but scores 8 points as frame, transmission and engine are original. It's registered as Historic and MOT exempt. My 75 Sportster I'm building only scores 3 points so I'll be putting it through MSVA testing and getting a Q Plate. Then it will need to be taxed and MOT'd every year.
Paul

Back