70s sidecar body

andy_brown

Club Member

Hi all,
I have just purchased an early Harley 70s CLE sidecar body for ?50 from ebay.Yes I know I was a fool but I think this was going to to scrapped if not sold.A couple of questions to any club members please, I intend to rebuild this sidecar to be put on my 1978 FLH glide but up to what year am I aloud to put this on and most of all, does anybody have any spares for this sidecar.I only have the body,sidecar 16 spoke wheel at this time so if anybody has parts or chassis frame please can you let me know.Many thanks.
Andy Brown.:169B9ADF431545348BC
ps. forgot to mention that the chair will be going on the right.

Re: 70s sidecar body

Isnt it against mot regulations to fit a sidecar on the right hand side?

I'm out and about at the moment but I tried to buy a Urrel with a powerd right hand side car wheel, I couldn't get it through the MOT so I left it.
I'll find the regulations tonight.

Found this-
Any bike registered before 1981 can have the sidecar on either side and be legally classed as a motorcycle and sidecar.
Any bike registered after 1981 must have the sidecar on the left of the bike.
There are moves to over turn the 1981 ruling, and if this happens then I guess from the date it is overturned any bike will be able to have the sidecar on either side. Assuming the law is over turned, the situation regarding bikes registered after 1981 but before the date this law is over turned is still unclear.

ps. forgot to mention that the chair will be going on the right.

Out of interest Andy, is there any reason why you want it on the right, if you don't have a chassis for it? It looks like it would fit either way from the cut outs? Great find; I still have feelings of guilt about seeing a 4-adult sidecar, previously attached to a WLA, sent to the dump back in the 70s, even though it wasn't mine...:eek:

Hi Jake, I just thought it would look better and right for it to be on the right off the bike.But the thing is getting the parts needed.Many thanks to all who have replyed.
Andy.:169B9ADF431545348BC

If you have had a sidecar outfit before I presume that was chair on the left, can't see any logical reason to have it on the right Andy here in the UK?

You will have to have half your outfit over the white line to see if it's safe to overtake anything!

Also easier to find fittings for left hook up unless you buy from across the channel. Just my 2?'s worth :D

You will have to have half your outfit over the white line to see if it's safe to overtake anything!

From experience with the pick-up, I'd go along with that. It's easier on 4 wheels with a LHD cos you just listen out for the whimpering of your passenger to tell if anything's coming t'other way! :D

It all depends I suppose on how much riding Andy will be doing in Europe; if he's planning to use it mostly for continental touring then I guess a LHD outfit would be better.

Last edited:

From experience with the pick-up, I'd go along with that. It's easier on 4 wheels with a LHD cos you just listen out for the whimpering of your passenger to tell if anything's coming t'other way! :D

It all depends I suppose on how much riding Andy will be doing in Europe; if he's planning to use it mostly for continental touring then I guess a LHD outfit would be better.

But would not get through a MOT it seems as per other posts.

Re-read the thread Bazzar :D
Andy says in the OP that he intends to fit the chair to his '78 glide, obviously pre '81 so the chair can be fitted either side, MOT no problem .

I suspect people are confusing Construction & Use Regulations with MOT rules, and they're not the same thing. Similar confusion reigns over the use of front fenders.

As Fuz states (and since he's a qualified MOT tester his word is law for me in these matters) there is nothing in the MOT rules to preclude a pass; and since the bike pre-dates 1978 which is the cut-off laid down in C&U regs as posted by Kev, I see no potential problem.

As Kev and I posted,the cut off date is 1981.

The link I posted refers to a guy who went through this,and ended up swopping it over to the left.:wink:
I for one wouldn't ride in a right hand chair in the UK,and as for steering it,if it's set up for road camber in say France,it's bloody hard work in the UK.

As Kev and I posted,the cut off date is 1981.

The link I posted refers to a guy who went through this,and ended up swopping it over to the left.:wink:
I for one wouldn't ride in a right hand chair in the UK,and as for steering it,if it's set up for road camber in say France,it's bloody hard work in the UK.

It's a bit like the regulations for having no mudguard, you can pass the mot without it, but,- it can be considered illegal.
On the bright side I've never met a p0l1ce man who knows the law.

whatever side keep off the ice.....

23760_393594757393612_227096816_n.jpg

Well,
I have certainly opened a debate on this one.Firstly, I did not want this to go to scrap and by doing this up is another bit off Harley history being saved and restored to what it is intended for whether left or right hand use.I see your point in using it on the left side but getting the correct frame is not easy unless someone know off one for sale,any takers on this.
many thanks to all on this but more info please.
Andy.:169B9ADF431545348BC

Never mind all this C&U and MOT stuff. if you have it on the right, you won't be able to see all the nice shiny bits, like pipes and stuff...:wink:

See your point about finding a frame though. I wonder if you could fit the chair to a UK-made (non-Harley) chassis though, or are you looking for originality?

If you have it on the right and panic shut the throttle you'll go straight into the Armco.
DAMHIK
Sidecars are the work of Beelzebub :smile:
Steve

Last edited:

Andy, worth having a word with both John Andrew and Ken Lee (I'll speak to you later about that) but folks, remember that fantastic four wheeled Forty-five powered metal HD sidecar featured in the 'Quin quite a few years back? Or even turn the body into a far out trailer? Whatever happens you were certainly right to try to save it - could always sell it to Geoff later for his "graveyard"!

Back