83 EVO FLHT questions

Deanokidd

Club Member
Evening everyone!

Firstly apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have received my first Harley today a 83 EVO FLHT and I have some questions, although I have been riding for 23 years I am completely new to Harley’s.

First question, the side panniers require new locks as the keys are missing maybe even complete latches. They are the ones fitted in the rear indicator housing, any ideas where I would get some from?

Second question, the feed from the fuel tap to the carb runs between the V with no clamp is this normal?

Thank you in advance for your help. 😊

I can't answer your first question but someone will be along soon I am sure.
I have never seen a fuel line clamped between the Cylinders although I have never looked closely. As far as I know they just hang there. scratch_head

The fuel line from tap to carb sometimes passes through a wire loop to prevent it from resting against the hot cyliders. Not always necessary but depends on how the fuel line sits without been retained. Different beast I know but my Shovel had the wire loop fixed under one of the carb to manifold mounting bolts. It's the sort of thing you can easily make and fit. It's out of view so doesn't need to be fancy.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, she needs some tidying up but she starts and rides I gave £3800 including delivery not sure if that’s good but it was in budget 😂😂
520a3c88-2bf5-4d58-aacf-61a50a2daa79.jpeg

Re the keys, a Harley dealer might supply them on production of the V5C - assuming they are original! Be prepared to sell the house, wife and kids though...

Evening everyone!

Firstly apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have received my first Harley today a 83 EVO FLHT and I have some questions, although I have been riding for 23 years I am completely new to Harley’s.

First question, the side panniers require new locks as the keys are missing maybe even complete latches. They are the ones fitted in the rear indicator housing, any ideas where I would get some from?

Second question, the feed from the fuel tap to the carb runs between the V with no clamp is this normal?

Thank you in advance for your help. 😊
Post a better picture of the existing rear side panniers locks I may have a brand new set that may fit and the H-D part number to

screwfix and b and q do the barrel locks as do most lock shops they are the same as fitted to every mod office cabinet i can remember loads on ebay but prob chinese shit easy to remove and match up they are fitted to locking letter boxes lockers in work changing rooms so very common and pennies to buy dont get shafted by harley (y) with_glasses

Here you go on ebay 255893206377 barrel cam lock loads on there just a case of getting your dimensions so they match (y)

Take one apart to match as long as the depth from the back of the lock seat to cam lever is the same and lock diameter too they should do

Apparently a Good Locksmith can make a key for a lock if the original was lost. I don’t know how much this would cost but maybe worth looking into.

Nice bike. But are you sure that's not a 1984 FLHT? There were NO Evolution-powered H-Ds for sale in the 1983 model year.

From August 1983, the new Evos were on sale in the USA, and a bit later elsewhere in the world. But those were 1984 model year bikes.

The VIN will tell all.......

Back