83 EVO FLHT questions

The air shocks are rebuildable, I think Goldwings are the same.
Overall length is the deciding factor as mentioned by Watchman.
I have a pair that I assume are still good, the original P/n is 54532-83 I think, the ones I have are 54662-00
I would need to dig them out to check the length, but if they are any good to you?
View attachment 1195135
If they fit that would be great, I have removed mine until no part number so let me see what numbers I can find in the list. 👍🏻

@Oldguy mine is 13 inches between centres as it sits at the moment.
IMG_7160.jpeg

They are also a different layout to mine, the cover is different for a start, especially that ring crimp.
Could still be worth checking if they come apart? If the shaft is not pitted all you need is a seal, simples, get those anywhere.

@Oldguy i might try stripping them any ideas on where I could get oil and the dust covers and what oil is in them? Sorry for all the questions new to Harley’s 😂

This guy does Wing stuff, gaiter is about halfway down the page.
What you need to do is find the original manufacturer, Showa for example, then the world of spare parts is open to you.
I used SAE10 fork oil.

I got the other side off they are Showa, just need to workout how they come apart doesn’t seem obvious at the moment. 😂

With mine, pull the boot off and see if the is a circlip in the underside, that holds a steel plate with the seal under that

Just a sharp pointy thing with a slim screwdriver to catch the end of the ring, 3 hands come in useful ---
After you've cursed it a dozen times you'll get the hang of it --

It feels like there is, I’m going to put some light downward pressure on the metal sleeve and see if I can pop the spring clip out.
IMG_7161.jpeg

The round spring clips are obviously more problematic than the standard earlier version, two thoughts:
Have a look at the YouTube vids and their shitty adverts to get a slight heads up on the process and whats underneath.
Also, depending on your ability, very carefully cutting a small indent/groove above the clip will enable you to lever the little sod out easier.
I am talking something about a 3mm (if you are young) indent, about 5mm from an end.
If you are not sure what I'm bleating about, DON'T.

@Oldguy I did have the same thought I set it up in my milling machine to get the hole bob on then hesitated 😂😂

I’ll give some more thought then drill the hole.

Was thinking of drilling the hole then putting in the press to relieve the spring pressure slowly.

Think more of milling above the groove at an angle so as not to break through the outer shell.
I do not think there will be much spring pressure on the seal, counter intuitive.
The seal is put in position as a static component, it is not meant to hold the spring.
Perhaps using the term "Dremel" will better convey what I am lamely trying to describe, make an indentation above the groove which makes levering the bugger out and up easier. Once you start the process it will "unwind" itself quite easily.

Back