aermacchi/cagiva

D

david.douglas2

I've got a 1976 two stroke Harley Davidson possibly an import, does anyone know the best place get a dateing letter so's I can register it ?
Thanks dougy.

Re: aermacchi/cagiva

Welcome to HDH. Harley-Davidson bought Aermacchi, who essentially became the Italian Division of the MoCo. They subsequently sold them to Cagiva, so if your bike is a Harley, it is a Harley!

There is a post at the top of the Vintage forum listing that explains the Club's approach to dealing with your predicament.

Last edited:

As above,you could get it done as a member of this club,or as a member of the Vintage Motorcycle Club.
A good few were sold over here,though many are now registered as 1200cc.:wink:
I'm gathering info for a 1977 SST 250 two stroke with front disc.
If yours is a drum brake model,you can get manual and parts book on disc from here.

33+ AMF Aermacchi Harley 2-stroke Manuals Catalogs CD | eBay UK :smile:

Last edited:

Your serial number will clarify what you have by the way. The first two characters (a number and a letter) are the model and the very last number (after a H) is the model year. So 5D is an SX-175, 6D is an SX-250 and 9E is an SS-250. I think there was an SS-175, there was also the SST-250 and right at the end 350 versions. The SX's are trail models and the SS's are road models, the SST was a road with front disc. You could also have a 125 if the codes are 3F/6F. The last year of "Harley" was 1978, for 1979 they had both Cagiva (tank) and Harley (on engine) names. They can be pleasent bikes but spares, especially engine electrics, are getting hard to come by.

(I had a Z-90 followed by a SX-175 as a learner)

Not bad info Paul. my little 125 serial number starts with a 3F and ends with H5, which I have assumed means 1975 as it was registered as 1976.

I really must start finding bits for it so I have something to play with when I give up the ole RK.

Not bad info Paul. my little 125 serial number starts with a 3F and ends with H5, which I have assumed means 1975 as it was registered as 1976.

I really must start finding bits for it so I have something to play with when I give up the ole RK.

Jan Boon has some stuff if you search by part number.
Is it an SS125?

Thanks people, I've been scatching my head a while trying to sort this out, I've emailed the spaggetti Harley forum and it looks like a really good scene for them over in Holland, I'll post again if I find out any more.:60277EB7B04744289C0

Bob's would be an SXT-125.

Bob, I have the manual and parts book for yours if you need info.

Cheers Dave an well found ! It'll come in very handy that, well I've put in a bid anyway....

Be good to see some pics David, here's my 1st Harley, bought in 1977

harley_davidson_ss250.jpg

..1975 SS-250?

2nd attempt to do capital SS, why didn't work first time..?!

Last edited:

..1975 SS-250?

2nd attempt to do capital SS, why didn't work first time..?!

Could it be as early as 75 Paul.? I bought it new in Sept 77 when I was 18 (Reg LJV 530R) for ?399 but I recall I had to order it as I specifically wanted the orange colour. I also remember the local HD dealer (Martin Hargreaves Motorcycles of Cleethorpes) had an XLCR in which he ended up almost giving away! Incidentally Martin is still trading, and now does the MOT on my Ultra every year. Still loves to talk about all things Harley, but he's no longer a dealer. Happy days, there were a lot of SS & SXT models locally because of Martin being the local dealer, most of my mates had black or dark blue ones, which is why I went for the orange!

..well...the tank decal is for 1975, the round slide carb makes it 250cc (175cc had flat slide/square body) so without seeing VIN that was my reasoning. Of course someone can change the badges, I'd like the "shooting star" badge on my FLH but HD increased the screw distances for some pointless reason however you say you got it new? My FLH was bought new in Aug 1981, sold to me as a leftover 1980 but it had a 1979 VIN number - though it was clearly new. If memory serves the number plate suffix for '75 was P, could it squeeze into an R? My second bike was a 1974 SX-175 bought in 1975 with a P suffix as I recall, fell foul of the gearbox bearings design fault, fixed free by HD UK. (gearboxes altered for 1975)

I suspect that's not his actual bike,but an example pic snatched from ebay motors.It looks more like the US than Cleethorpes.
I don't recall seeing street numbers going that high in the UK,other than the Harrow Road,and that ain't it.

I suspect that's not his actual bike,but an example pic snatched from ebay motors.It looks more like the US than Cleethorpes.
I don't recall seeing street numbers going that high in the UK,other than the Harrow Road,and that ain't it.

Yes Dave nothing gets past you does it.:D That is not my ACTUAL bike but its exactly as mine was, colour, decals ,the lot . Had I known at 18 that 34 years later I'd want some pics to put on a Harley Davidson Club forum, I would have taken some! Ain't Google Images a wonderful thing!

Bob's would be an SXT-125.

Bob, I have the manual and parts book for yours if you need info.
I would like to borrow them for a while please Paul, I have some info & it would be interesting to compare it. Maybe you would pop them over at your next vist to one of our meets if convenient. Or maybe at the May Day event in Hastings.

Back