Any suggestions for exhaust for VRSCA

Re: Any suggestions for exhaust for VRSCA

My mate drilled half a dozen evenly spaced 5mm holes in each of the silencer end plates on his 2006 Night Rod. Makes a nice sound now - not too loud but nice and deep. Cost nowt and no ill effects. Must be worth trying - if you don't like it you can always refil the holes with self tappers or then spend megabucks on a new system.;)

heres big wallaces exhaust, and i can vouch for the performance and sound o these ferkers ,best sounding v-rod ive heard:cool:
1185d1156108103-readers-rides-keep-clean-dscf0013.jpg

Technicians I have discussed this with say that Rineharts actually decrease performance! But they sound OK.

Here are the Force pipes I'm getting for my V-Rod. Importantly, they retain the style of the bike, rather than making it look more like a Road King. :rolleyes: As for sound: :eek: :eek:
streetfighter-vrod-bullet1-lg.jpg

More on Force here:
http://www.useforce.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7087-100

Technicians I have discussed this with say that Rineharts actually decrease performance! But they sound OK.

i put a k+n filter in and had to fit a power commander, no way should you bolt pipes like this straight on as they will run far to lean to the point of causing damage. fitted correctly there is no decrease in power anywhere in the rev range, pulls much stronger mid range if anything. really struggle to understand how any performance pipe (fitted correctly) can decrease power as the standard pipes strangle everything the engine is trying to produce so that the bike meets noise levels, emmisions etc.try feeling the weight of the standard cans and then try to imagine how much shit is inside clogging everything up to make them that heavy. air flow on new bikes is generally restricted as well for the same reasons.this is the same with other makes not just harley
rinehart with a serious reputation and background in nascar racing exhausts do the r+d then have bub make the pipes. they would look like clowns with all that experience producing a pipe with less power than stock and surely in a country like the states someone would just sue their ass for bullshitting. i would assume this would be the case regardless of who makes the exhaust vance + hines, screaming eagle etc it should do like it says on the packet. those pipes you got your eye on look quite nice Mr bear but i don't think my bike looks like a road king either, maybe that was another technician quote;) at the end of the day loud pipes save lives:eek: ;) :) :)

those pipes you got your eye on look quite nice Mr bear but i don't think my bike looks like a road king either, maybe that was another technician quote;) at the end of the day loud pipes save lives:eek: ;) :)
The information on Rineharts came from technicians. I cannot vouch for the validity of the conclusion, but remember that the statement only applied to V-Rods and not necessarily to other Harley models. ;)

On the looks of Rineharts and many other after-market pipes for the V-Rod; the conclusion that they move the looks of the bike toward Road Kings is mine. I did recognize that my opinion would cause distress, even among the more traditionally minded V-rod owners. The point I was making was that the style of the pipes is a significant factor for the V-Rod, and most after-market pipes not only do not enhance that style, they actually detract from it - IMO. :rolleyes:

Now as for the statement that "at the end of the day loud pipes save lives". This seems to be a logical conclusion, and I may use it myself. :cool: However I have been unable to find any data that would support it. :confused:

Now as for the statement that "at the end of the day loud pipes save lives". This seems to be a logical conclusion, and I may use it myself. :cool: However I have been unable to find any data that would support it. :confused:

Bernie I know you have a thirst for knowledge and that you have a library full of books....BUT you don't need to read data to support the fact that loud pipes saves lives.

scenario:
If you are in a car in traffic and can hear a Harley with loud pipes before you could hear a standard Harley, then that same bike if it was maneuvering between the line of traffic would be safer because you the car driver are aware of it and would look after hearing it before changing lanes.

Possibly.:rolleyes: But at least the louder bike has a better chance of being heard then seen. IMHO.

Bernie I know you have a thirst for knowledge and that you have a library full of books....BUT you don't need to read data to support the fact that loud pipes saves lives.

scenario:
If you are in a car in traffic and can hear a Harley with loud pipes before you could hear a standard Harley, then that same bike if it was maneuvering between the line of traffic would be safer because you the car driver are aware of it and would look after hearing it before changing lanes.

Possibly.:rolleyes: But at least the louder bike has a better chance of being heard then seen. IMHO.
I'm not trying to amass any arguments against loud pipes, as I like them myself - and am getting a set to make my V-Rod sound more to my own liking. I shy away, however, from making any arguments about them which I am unable to support through any real data. :eek:

When you say "BUT you don't need to read data to support the fact that loud pipes saves lives," you really should be using the word "assertion". While there is logic to your scenario, the if you use is a big one. One could also argue that drivers might shut out or ignore the sound, or become annoyed and do something rash. :eek:

I certainly would like to think you're right. I just wish I could find some real data supporting the argument. :confused:

However I have been unable to find any data that would support it. :confused:

I just wish I could find some real data supporting the argument. :confused:

Keep looking 'till your 100 plus Bernie there will NEVER be any data on it. Who's gonna do a study on it and write a paper? After they have crashed and taken in both sides of the scenario.

Fact is UK drivers are different to your USA drivers...(No I ain't getting into an argument on this...suffice to say they are different)

FACT: It has been known by USA riders to have doors open on them as they filter through traffic....Here that would be VERY unlikely unless as a mistake. ie: a passenger getting out of a car in traffic because it is just as quick to walk to destination.

The USA driver is a more aggressive type of person and lots have guns to back up their aggression.

So Bernie I still think that a loud bike that is heard from a distance by a cage driver has more chance to be seen than a quiet biker. (Hence Loud Pipes Saves Lives) Not forgetting the kid crossing the road it could save HIS life as well if he hears you. So it's not just the RIDER we are talking about saving their lives.

This should go into Virtual Rally? ;)

Last edited:

never mind data, studies etc thats for the anoraks and train spotters of this world:eek: tried and tested works in my book so howsabout a piece of living breathing proof as in myself:Dwent to see dan the man at the weekend and he said quote" fur fuks sake big man a heard that fkn thing fae aboot a mile doon the road thats fkn loud"so how do you think the guy in the car a few feet in front felt. i always had loud pipes on any bike ive had over the last 25 years and people always said they heard me before seeing me (the bike that is:D )but always performance systems which in this country were generally illegal. all had differing sounds but all improved some area of the way the bike ran but rarely was it a straight bolt on job, carburation had to be looked at. nothing pisses me of more than a bike thats loud but runs like a bag o nails. a bike should be easy to ride and pleasurable wheather it's at warp speed on a jap bike or the good old fashioned grunt of a harley, not hard work with flat spots no mid range etc.
on the subject of v rod looks Mr Bear i totally agree with you:D but when i was looking for pipes the options were very limited. my method of selection was to look for performance with pipes that could be fitted tight to the bike so as to improve ground clearance in the corners and lastly how they look.like i said before, it's got to go right then look right IMO but if other people use a different methods then fair play to them:D

Keep looking 'till your 100 plus Bernie there will NEVER be any data on it.
FACT: It has been known by USA riders to have doors open on them as they filter through traffic....Here that would be VERY unlikely unless as a mistake. ie: a passenger getting out of a car in traffic because it is just as quick to walk to destination.
The USA driver is a more aggressive type of person and lots have guns to back up their aggression.
;)

I suspect that at some point we will see some studies on the effects of pipes, but meanwhile, don't believe everything you hear about drivers in the U.S. I routinely have drivers pull over in their lanes to give me more room when I filter. However, California is the only state here where you can legally filter (as far as I can determine), so hostility toward the practice may have some legal backing in most states. Moreover, it also is the case that when accidents occur involving a filtering motorcycle, the courts have overwhelmingly placed the majority of the burden on the motorcyclist. :eek: :cool:

on the subject of v rod looks Mr Bear i totally agree with you:D but when i was looking for pipes the options were very limited. my method of selection was to look for performance with pipes that could be fitted tight to the bike so as to improve ground clearance in the corners and lastly how they look.like i said before, it's got to go right then look right IMO but if other people use a different methods then fair play to them:D

Yeah. I actually stumbled on the Force pipes completely by accident, else, to be truthful, I probably would eventually have wound up with Rineharts. :eek: ;)

HERE you go Bernie....:rolleyes:

Unclear how an advertisement for clothing is data in support of your argument. :confused: :rolleyes:

That's not to say that you're not right, though. ;)
As I said, I may well find myself in a position to try and make that argument, but I'd sure like to have some factual support. :cool:

http://www.sprintex.com.au/files/cycle_news_24.05.06_vrod.pdf
it would appear from the above article that the exhaust is not as restrictive as you would imagine .

An interesting article, but I don't see it's application to the discussion as the bike they're featuring is a supercharged V-Rod with Vance & Hines pipes. Additionally they note that the pipes are "fitted for the sound of thunder", and "the kit is designed to work with a stock Harley exhaust". They give no indication that the Vance & Hines pipes add to the power (although it could be true). In any case, our discussion was about Rinehart pipes, not Vance & Hines. :confused: Oh; for an outlay of $6,200, the Sprintex kit had better produce more power. :eek:

I might add that the real reason I'm having the Force pipes fitted to my V-Rod is for the sound. Force indicates that there is an accompanying increase in power (note that they also require race tuning), but I really don't care. The reason I prefer Force over Rinehart, Vance & Hines, Supertrapp and the like is purely cosmetic. ;)

I just bought a V-Rod from a friend, and must admit that the standard exhaust is a touch tame. I rode a Fat Boy with a V&H stage 1, and have to admit that the sound was superb.

Does anybody have any suggestions about exhausts that give the V-Rod a lot more character, aurally, and what should I expect budget wise.

I am ideally looking for something to create that rich v-twin sound, though I realise that is quite a challenge for the v-rod.

Suggesions and advice will be appreciated.
don't see any mention of rineharts on there ,thread is about exhaust systems .

:confused: which one, the standard system or the ones in this article
in the article it says with the std exhaust it still made 160 bhp so the illusion
of loud pipes more power is 'blown' apart if you will excuse the pun . they are of course ugly as hell so an aftermarket system is preferable looks wise but not necessary for horsepower in the case of the supercharged bike .

in the article it says with the std exhaust it still made 160 bhp so the illusion
of loud pipes more power is 'blown' apart if you will excuse the pun . they are of course ugly as hell so an aftermarket system is preferable looks wise but not necessary for horsepower in the case of the supercharged bike .

ahhh, i did say earlier that i hate things that are loud for the sake of loud and it must run right first and then look good but the problem is not how much power it produces but how and where it produces it which is what all the r+ d is about. all to often people use a bhp figure as the holy grail, i have even come across dyno places which set bikes up this way only to see bikes which produce less power being faster simply because of the way they produce that power. ask yourself this, do you need power where it is most usable ie mid range across2 or 3 thousand revs no flat spots or at the top end of your revs where you need to change gear. most maximum bhp figures are achieved at the top end of the rev range where it's useless and normally the trade off is the loss in mid range. if you want a quick bike you have to look at the complete picture where and when it's all happening. if we are just looking for decibels then the best and cheapest solution would be a scaffold tube bent and bolted on, job done. but like you say something that is straight through blows alot of power out its arse, there has to be an amount of pressure in the system. after the system all the answers are in the fuel system to make it work. on the subject of rineharts i honestly don't think my bike produces any more power as it still does the same speed top end whenever i check but does it pull out of corners, take away from standing start better then the answer is yes so it's definately quicker and noticable and it don't sound like a hairdressers bike now:eek: :D :D :D

Back