Bike turntable build

Dredger

Club Member
As I'm getting on in years and recently purchased a street glide which is more than awkward to back out of my workshop, I have just ordered materials and arranged for water cutting of the turntable top.
The top is to be 2.2 metres in diameter and will use a large 'lazy Susan' bearing rated for a 1 tonne load. If anyone has built a turntable before I would be interested in any comments or good outcomes as this is a little experimental for me. I have opted for 6mm steel durbar plate and will probably get everything galvanised. The under carriage design is still in my head but I'm working on two options and might even fit it flush with the wood workshop flooring.
Not a cheap project but hope this will keep me riding for years to come. All ideas welcome.

6mm plate will need some substantial reinforcing underneath, something like 75mmx25mm box section, so dropping it into the floor will probably be necessary to avoid having to push the bike up onto it. This can be a problem with big bikes on some table lifts also.

Box section was one of my thoughts as a chassis with either nylon skid pads or low profile roller bearings in an 8 point star for the outer circumference in the general area of wheel contact, also toying with using crescent shaped tracks to fit as a doubler directly under the wheel area.
I might include a welded strip of 6 x 25mm flat stock around the circumference edge.
As it progresses I will post up pics.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere a ready made bike turner. Memory says it was a bit like a channel on wheels with a sidestand support.

Last edited:
Trust me, I would not go to the trouble of making a decent heavy weight turntable with materials and cutting costing circa £1200 alone if I could get the same for a mere £145! That unit would probably suit a light weight scooter. It's only 420mm in diameter. I would love to see how you could get a heavy bike with a foot print of around 2 metres on that.

Last edited:
Hmmm Maybe a miss print just re read it it looks the same as his but his is wide enough for the cvo on its side stand ?

Have you thought about reducing the top-plate diameter of the lazy susan to as small as practicable and running some proper width/height/strength channel across it for the bike treadway and, some sort of worked-in dealy to accept whatever stand shape would work. The channel could be made to fold up to save space when turntable not in use (making it easier to cart?) and, you might even work in some sort of built-in aux. fold-down wheel-brace to hold the bike upright when in use but unattended.

Hi Dreger, this any use?

Hi Darren, I think I prefer the steam engine.....I looked at those you mentioned, when I approached the owner for a build he was definitely cagey about the materials and the price was north of £1500, and if you look at the youtube vid with the bike on it it obviously had no outer bearing, just grated as it turned. Also approached another maker from the midlands who said £2500 was a minimum and never called back. That's when I made the decision to make my own. The long channel type is not much use as it takes too much room and will always be in the way. Better to make it flush fit into the floor. The steel plate is being cut today, so I hope I got it right...horrified

I finished Phase 1 of the turntable build in April Mounted on the floor surface)and it has performed really well with my street glide, and take no effort to turn it.
There was an issue when I thought I could use nylon blocks around the perimeter which was too much friction, now with 16 large single socketed ball bearings around the perimeter it works a treat with a Diameter of eight feet, and a finish height of 26mm to the top of the plate.
Later in the year I plan to refit this flush into the workshop floor.IMG_20230519_072808_5.jpg

That's some achievement mate. Will undoubtedly make life easier for you and reduce the potential for dropping your pride and joy. We'll done, it looks extremely well made and will be even better flush fitted with the floor. Does any company produce such a device?

We have to factor in the value of the immense satisfaction once it is up and running.

(of no use to our topic but I always remembered back in the seventies when the BMW R90 was launched, they had a "roadshow" at various venues for the public and there was a short factory video of the bike. That began with the bike parked on centre stand facing into garage and the rider lent it slightly towards him and walked it round on one centre stand leg to face outwards - not in a hurry to try that with a Harley!)

Back