Compensator Question for those in the know.

TimH

Club Member
So, here we go again. Got to strip the primary out again on the Road King, mainly to replace the transmission output seal which is leaking but while im in there Im thinking about upgrading/replacing the compensator which is getting a little noisy. Mines the earlier version (2010) so has the spring pack incorporated into the Alternator Rotor. Having done a bit of research my main options would seem to be the later Screaming Eagle version or a thing called a Dark Horse man of war which gets quite favourable feedback across Facebook etc. Both options require replacing the Alternator Rotor with the later version and cost wise seem to work out similar at around £500. There is one other route which although cost wise is a lot less seems a bit of a bodge and involves replacing spring pack components but Im sure would only prolong the inevitable for a short while.
So anyone else gone down this road? Thanks in anticipation

These were my experiences:-
There's quite a lot of other experiences on this site if you use the search feature HTH

I remember this Post Simon_A has put a link to. The question asked by raeburn as to whther the Baker or Dark Horse was available in the UK has never been answered. Anyone know?

From what I have read/seen on the Internet, the Dark Horse comp. is highly rated. See Simon_A link above and YouTube for more.

From what I have read/seen on the Internet, the Dark Horse comp. is highly rated. See Simon_A link above and YouTube for more.
Yes, true, though I did find a couple of reports of people saying they experienced vibration issues with the man o war (Dark Horse). Im waiting for Tony at Jersey HD to get back to me, but his price for the later SE compensator kit looks hard to ignore.

Well, the good news is that Ive become so used to this I can get to this point in an hour :) .
Stripping it down I now realise I have 2 leaks, 1 from the trans seal, and 1 from the Alternator grommet
IMG_1318.jpeg

I'm at the same stage TimH. Shifter shaft seal with me, but with nearly 107 thousand on the clock I'm wondering if the shaft may be worn in the bushing. More ball ache if it is.

I'm at the same stage TimH. Shifter shaft seal with me, but with nearly 107 thousand on the clock I'm wondering if the shaft may be worn in the bushing. More ball ache if it is.
Although my shifter shaft looks ok, im thinking of putting a new seal in while im there myself, I wanna make sure this time that I dont miss anything

SE Compensator kit ordered along with pretty much every oil seal in the primary and a new primary bearing race, Im determined to sort this rig out. Although the Man O war looked interesting not having any UK support or suppliers put me off, mine is a pretty much bog stock 96 so the SE should be fine

Also in that vicinity . . .

PICT0027 (Medium).JPG

Big juicy tool arrived today from the US of A, 'your coming off 'ol boy!

I just looked on Amazon out of curiosity. Found this review:
you might want to get a few spots of Weld on this before use.
See pics. attached.
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Jerry Kokes
1.0 out of 5 stars Broke First Use
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on 26 May 2022
Learned the two parts are just pressed together so when the main shaft nut is extremely difficult to come off, the two parts will just separate. Fortunately I have a welder and it was stronger then ever. Want to know the difference between a Jim’s brand and this, the Jim’s brand has a couple of spots that are welded so the two parts don’t separate. It did do the job after it was welded.

61GjHbfqlcL.jpg

61mxDCdzzML.jpg

61TI7gfUdQL.jpg

Mine was ordered through Amazon from Moonsport Autoparts With shipping £44.06p.

1689021429084.jpeg

I'm tempted to add some weld now! I'll try and break it tomorrow . . .

PICT0036 (Medium).JPG

Back