Damn...

L

Livia329

I failed my mod 2 test on Thursday due to a fella in the left lane of a roundabout (to exit left) cutting into my lane to go straight ahead. I moved to avoid him but didn't check my right shoulder first, was a little too busy reacting to him.

To say I am gutted is an understatement.

Making things worse, more details coming out about the law change will mean I can't ride my Harley for 2 years if I don't pass before Jan 19th. Because I am doing the 125cc (which is currently classed as 'standard bike') I will have to wait two years, and/or take tests on a 'medium bike' which will be the 500cc bikes restricted to 395cc. That'll cost me around ?800 and I've already had to spend around a grand on this lot of lessons and tests.

The reason I took the 125cc test is because I could ride a bike up to 33BHP, so I paid to get my bike restricted. Also because the 500cc bikes they have are too high for me, meaning high center of gravity and I'd rather not tip toe AND because pushing it in the backwards semi circle in mod1 wasn't going to happen. I'd either drop it, or it'd take me 10mins to do it the way they want it done and then be too shattered to do the rest of the test. As you can tell, I'm quite small lol.

I'm relying on cancellations to get another, 'cos the test center doesn't have any tests til March. I dunno if I should venture out to different test centers where I don't know the roads at all? Has anyone done that on their tests?

I may have to end up selling my bike, such a bummer. I love that bike and I haven't even rode it properly yet. Plus I taxed it, restricted it and insured it. I shouldn't have really bought one til I passed but you don't come across good deals every day, it was pretty much brand new with 300miles on it and it was perfect for me.

Seriously pissed off at the DSA. So unfair to have someone do all their other tests under the current law but switch them onto the new law for their final test.

I don't even know why I'm writing this on here... lol. I guess to just get it out and rant a little.

Re: Damn...

Livia,
you've had some bad luck there, & i sympathise with you. I also admire you for your determination. You have done things that i fear i might not be capable of. I applied for a cancellation when doing my part 2 test, ( 1985, yes, i'm old & ugly!) and it came through within a few days, so go for it girl! Don't sell your bike, at least you can ride it for the time being. If money is tight you can always take it off the road, i believe you can cancel insurance & tax & declare it SORN.
I really cocked up my part 2 test, but passed, & the feeling of elation was great. You might be feeling a bit down right now, but with any luck, you'll soon be feeling BLOODY GREAT!:60277EB7B04744289C0

Chin up Liv ! Bear in mind they are trying to discourage people from riding bikes. You need to get over this hurdle and fight for what you want. Do whatever it takes and don't give up.

'LIV' to RIDE :D ( Motivational stuff ! )

Tuff luck mate but as said earlier they are trying to make biking harder to get into.

Chin up and you will pass just have to take it on the chin mate:wink:

Keep trying Liv, dont give up!...thats what they want you to do

Thanks for taking the time to send over a positive reply guys! I won't give up, I want it too much but that knock back was pretty hard to take.

:frown: That is really bad luck and bad news about your test :mad: It sounds too harsh failing you for not lookin over your shoulder when some feckers cuttin you up even if it was during a test.
What are you supposed to do, look over your shoulder as per the book and get wiped out in the process?

I was lucky enough to have passed a bike test many years ago when all you did was ride around the block a coupla times and do an emergency stop when the instructor jumped out from behind a van:smile: but I think what theve done to you here is out of order and very demorallising, stick in there and beat the feckers is my advise.:wink:

What are you supposed to do, look over your shoulder as per the book and get wiped out in the process?

Exactly what I thought...!! The examiner is apparently very to-the-book.

I hear a lot about those tests from 'back in the day'. I'm really quite jealous of those who took that style test :P did anyone ever fail? lol

I'm with weedavie on this one, it really was so easy when we took our tests, still hang on in there as it will all be worth it in the end what ever it takes :60277EB7B04744289C0

Exactly what I thought...!! The examiner is apparently very to-the-book.

I hear a lot about those tests from 'back in the day'. I'm really quite jealous of those who took that style test :P did anyone ever fail? lol

I had lottsa mates on bikes at that time and can't recall anyone failing :) but also a few who came a cropper later probably due to the lack of respect for speed and general riding style:frown::frown:
I guess thats why they made it more 'in depth' over the years.
The old statement " learn to ride properly after you pass your test" was only true to a certain degree.
I do think though that todays tests seem OTT and are designed to keep the majority off the road

The bastards want you to give up....don't give them the satisfaction, you can do it!

Life is a box of chocolates...........

You never know which one your gonna get "my favorite film"

At least you didn't get knocked off, you sound down at the moment but I'm sure in a very short time you'll realize your dream.....

Hang on in there......:wink:

Good luck

I failed my mod 2 test on Thursday due to a fella in the left lane of a roundabout (to exit left) cutting into my lane to go straight ahead. I moved to avoid him but didn't check my right shoulder first, was a little too busy reacting to him.

Hope you get a cancellation soon sorry for your misfortune, was the car driver in the left lane at the roundabout in a lane that was painted with an arrow Left only? Because if not most roundabouts the left lane is for left and straight on, where as the lane you were in is for straight ahead right and back to where you came from. I expect if the roundabout had painted arrows then they would not have been there when the roundabout was first built, it seems a modern stupid trend to paint more crap on the approaches to roundabouts lately and when queuing a cager cannot always see the arrows when nose to tail in traffic.
Unfortunately you have to anticipate what happened and also expect it, it happens to us every day and to stay alive on two wheels treat every other road user as a partially sighted wanker.
You survived, but failed a test of competence that you have now gained further knowledge so next time you will be prepared for that situation that I can assure you will happen again, loads of people take no notice of painted arrow markings.

Regarding tests at other test centres.
You should never rely on knowing any road- even if you have ridden it many times. It will always have different hazards every time you use it.

Get your name on all the local test centres and get that test done !

Regarding tests at other test centres.
You should never rely on knowing any road- even if you have ridden it many times. It will always have different hazards every time you use it.

Get your name on all the local test centres and get that test done !

above highlighted is SO correct!!!!

Most accidents happen on roads that people know and because of that many drivers/riders can become complacent....

Typical insurance claim examples are: :60277EB7B04744289C0

• "Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.."
  • "Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have."
  • "As I approached an intersection a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before."
  • "I was backing my car out of the driveway in the usual manner, when it was struck by the other car in the same place it had been struck several times before."

I do know of someone that failed the old test the same day I took mine. I had a C15 BSA he had a B25 BSA. The night before the test he thought it woul be clever to fit indicators to look like a safer rider. I didn`t bother. I passed then the examiner turned to him and asked if the indicators worked and the twat said "no i only fitted them last night not had time to wire them in yet !!!!!" Instant Fail!!!!!!!!!!
Just proves there are twats on both sides of the coin I suppose.:60277EB7B04744289C0

Thanks again guys. :)

Hope you get a cancellation soon sorry for your misfortune, was the car driver in the left lane at the roundabout in a lane that was painted with an arrow Left only?

It was marked as left turn only lane. It was a three lane roundabout.

As for the test centers in places I've never driven around before. It's more so having the advantage of knowing the 'local knowledge' of some roads (which you can fail for not knowing!) and also almost knowing the basics like speed limits off by heart... simple thing to check when you're riding for yourself but when you're under pressure to do so much by the book it's easy to miss the signs y'see. That's what I see as the downfall.

I have another test in Newcastle on the 9th.. it's actually my boyfriends test but he's giving it to me as I have more to lose when the law changes due to age and the 125cc bike. I hope to get another before then so I can use it as a back up or happily leave it to him if I pass before.

You have to leave 10 days before re-taking a test which could prove awkward but we shall see eh!

Liv, To be fair to the examiner, perhaps it would have been better for you to have braked in your own lane and let the pillock go. By swerving into the next lane you might have been squished by some twat steaming up the inside of you. Easy to say I know, but think on.

You were of course unfortunate to have this happen on a test, but put it down to experience and you will find it all much easier next time.

Good luck, Ride to Live !

Liv, To be fair to the examiner, perhaps it would have been better for you to have braked in your own lane and let the pillock go. By swerving into the next lane you might have been squished by some twat steaming up the inside of you. Easy to say I know, but think on.

You were of course unfortunate to have this happen on a test, but put it down to experience and you will find it all much easier next time.

Good luck, Ride to Live !

Indeed, but when you see someone out of the corner if your eye about to side swipe you, I suppose it's instinct to move.

I guess it's almost like if a kid runs into the road. Do you check your mirrors first before slowing or do you do slam on the breaks? The book says one thing but instinct will make you do the other. Of course, on a bike you could also choose to swerve hoping the kid doesn't move into your path and hoping the 4x4 behind you has seen the kid in time. So many options for 10ths of seconds.

Done now, just gotta hope I pass on my final time and avoid silly drivers for the whole 40mins!

I have another test in Newcastle on the 9th.. it's actually my boyfriends test but he's giving it to me as I have more to lose when the law changes due to age and the 125cc bike.

Good luck. Remember though, that if a car looks like it's going to swerve into your lane this time, let'em do it. You'll pass on a sympathy vote. :D

Back