first impressions of my ulysses

devon.john

Club Member
it arrived today not perfect but its seven years old!!
its got 12,000mls on it and sounds great with its remus pipe.
i just rode it for the first time, the biggest thing to me was BRAKES that were
almost to good:D:D
and the way it picked up it wanted tobe over 2,000 revs !!!
the ride was really smooth over bad road condition, better than the dyna!!
i found i was travailing about ten mph faster than normal ie on the Dyna.
very light similar to the MT350 in feel .
only done about 50mls so not a real test but it looking GOOD

yes i am happy now i have a few thing to do to suit my needs ie make a rack and fit panniers , change oils and filter etc.

john

Re: first impressions of my ulysses

Glad you're pleased with it John.:)
I should reel off 1,000 miles in the morning before work,just to make sure.:D

Keep us informed how it goes please John, would be interested.

Mine likes to be kept above 3000 revs John, especially in 5th where it will bog down at 3000. It takes some getting used to after riding a conventional harley. You find yourself going for gaps that you would have waited for... The front brakes are great and the back is just a steady-er.....

When I first got mine it was like going back to my youth, and encouraged a bit of hooliganism.....:60277EB7B04744289C0

Good to hear that your having fun with it John.
It took me a few weeks really to get used to the differences from my Dyna. Still not getting the best out of it but I can keep up with Mutley more comfortably! :D

Mick - Noticed that you have a sound system on yours...is it a Shark? Any good?

Last edited:

rode it again last night and yes its different than the big twin,
i found it hard to get the revs right below 30mph ,if i was in a to high a gear it spluttered and i found it not smooth!!!
as you say its going tobe a learning curve:wink:

the screen is a bit low so i will have to do something and there's some corrosion on the edge of the front wheel so i think i wiil get both of them shot blasted and coated,.

these jobs will be done before next winter or they will get worst!!!!

john

I bought one of these with 20,000 miles on needed some love,but what smile it's put on face I love it and I never feel bad spending a few quid on it because of the grin factor
So enjoy the fun gets better:)

They are a bit lumpy around town, but nothing a bit of clutch control can't cure. :60277EB7B04744289C0 I never notice it now.

The sound system on mine was bought from Hein Gericke. I use it with my Garmin. :punk:

Glad its finally arrived, sounds like you are enjoying getting used to it. Hope to see it soon.

glad you like it looks like the big kid will out in you again sooon matey:tongue:

starting to get the hang of the bike , what i do like is it economy 60mpg
and that not pottering!!!
the Dyna does about 45mpg so very pleased in fact its about the same as the MT350:tongue:
i am waiting for the panniers to arrive then i can do some serious miles .

i hope it will be sorted for the Lakes rally, that will be a good test about 750mls return!!

john

A brilliant bike. Enjoy. Check out the wheel bearings though. They are renowned to fail with not too many miles done. Happened to me with only 7000 miles on the clock of my XBScg. Consider getting a belt tensioner and check out the Remus exhaust can as a replacement for the sowing machine sounding Buell exhaust. Worth signing up to UKBEG as well as they are a font of knowledge.
UK Buell Enthusiasts Group • Index page

Last edited:

A brilliant bike. Enjoy. Check out the wheel bearings though. They are renowned to fail with not too many miles done. Happened to me with only 7000 miles on the clock of my XBScg. Consider getting a belt tensioner and check out the Remus exhaust can as a replacement for the sowing machine sounding Buell exhaust. Worth signing up to UKBEG as well as they are a font of knowledge.
UK Buell Enthusiasts Group • Index page
hello pete
belt tensioner i did as soon as i had the bike, it was already fitted with a Remus exhaust,
i have joined the ukbeg forum !!!!
i will keep an eye on the wheel bearings.
what tyres are you running? as i dont go off road i was thinking of
Michelin pilots or bridgestone BT 023S

JOHN

Michelin pilot Road 2 I have on the bike but they've been superseded by the road pilot 3. They are brilliant in the wet.
If you are looking for any technical help on the bike t
Check out Tubs who works out of Moore Speed Racing in Poole. He is the Buell expert in the south.

I ran avon storms on mine, they were VERY good in both dry and wet

John,
Seriously looking at a '08 X model.
Any further thoughts or pointers?
Snowy

I'm getting very good results with the Dunlop Road Smarts I've put on my XR1200X. Excellent grip wet or dry and they are lasting very well. There is a newer Road Smart 2 available now and I will probably give them a try after these.

John,
Seriously looking at a '08 X model.
Any further thoughts or pointers?
Snowy

Rob i was warned off the o8 model as its got a more complicated ECU

If you look on the Buell web site i asked the same quesion as you need under DEVON JOHN.
its a cracking bike and cheap as i sead 60mpg and fast:wink::wink:

john

65MPG what..how... i,m lucky if i get 45 mpg out of mine and 4000 miles to a rear tyre. Do you lot ride like pussys:D:D or am i a heavy handed hooligan???

65MPG what..how... i,m lucky if i get 45 mpg out of mine and 4000 miles to a rear tyre. Do you lot ride like pussys:D:D or am i a heavy handed hooligan???

possibly your right there Carl:tongue:

the way to good mileage is smoooooooothness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this comes from lots of pratice :wink::wink::wink::wink:

john

Back