Harley Davidson Aermacchi SST 250 rebuild

R

Roger Maries

Presently in the middle of my first 1976 SST250 basket case rebuild. Which even with the badly photocopied manual is proving to be like having a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle with out a picture and your hands tied behind your back. If anybody has a complete bike and is willing to share some rebuild info it would be great to hear from you. Roger

Re: Harley Davidson Aermacchi SST 250 rebuild

I have the manual and parts book if you need anything scanned, regretably my time with these models (SX-175) was when I had yet to wield spanners. Road King Alan from the New Foresters has had some re-assembly experience some years back..?

Salvation is at hand! Keep an eye on this and buy it! :wink:

If it's an SST,I think that's the disc brake model.
There were suppliments to the main Manual and Parts Book,which I hope to have in my hands soon.I'll let you know if they turn up.

Thanks for all of your help and interest, greatly appreciated.

Paul. I might well take you up on the offer of sharing the parts manual if the manual shows exploded views of parts of the bike and how they might be mounted / connected together.

Graham. Thanks for the ebay link. I do have a photo copied version of the manual, which I'm finding a bit limited

Dave. Would love to see the supplements, if you can get your hands on them for the SST250 which is the disc brake version.

I'm trying, within the limits of an electricians budget, to make this SST250 as close to original and concourse as possible. I am a real stickler for detail, and the info I'm missing, is the simple stuff like, where does the rectifier mount on the frame and its orientation, same for the coil, how is the wiring loom run on the bike, detailed photographs of the petrol tank graphics so I can replicate them, The manuals dont give you this info, they are asssuming you bought the bike complete and just want to service it. Hence my request to see if anybody knows where there might be a completed bike which I can view or get photos of to asssist in the rebuild.

Best regards

Roger

"I'm trying, within the limits of an electricians budget"

No limits there then Roger :)

I have an original paint '76 superglide. I would wager that the tank decals are the same as the '76 SS250. I am not sure but they may be the same tank also.
Chaz.

Kev,
Thanks for the web link but I've been there and the pics just arent detailed enough to get the dimensions and colour changes for the tank graphics, I told you I was a stickler for detail !!!!

Charlie
Your tank graphics look to be identical to the SST250 graphics which Im trying to reproduce albeit in a different colour. Any chance you can send some photos with some dimensions to Able2electrical@btinternet.com.

Many thanks to you both

Roger

Kev

Do you have the names of the other club members who own SST250's

Ta

Roger

Kev

Do you have the names of the other club members who own SST250's

Ta

Roger

Rob Tyrell (Tee) from Region 9 has an SS250, and there's another guy down my way who doesn't post on the forum but I'll give him a ring if I can find his number. Not sure if his is an SST but it's certainly a 250 and it's complete, original and running.

The Spaghetti Riders in Holland is almost certainly your best resource in Europe. They have a Facebook page too, and they're nice guys to know.

I'd also suggest a letter to the Quin asking for help might prise a few more out of the woodwork.

Last edited:

Don't like the price, but lovely looking bike! :wink:

Oh Shit.... sorry people just only realised there was A Page 2 to the responses.......strongbow has a lot to answer for :wink:

Peps
Thanksfor the link but the SS350 has too many strokes let alone valves. My heart lies with the 2 strokes.

Boris
your info on the tank graphics is awesome. I will check out the part numbers and the web site.

A big thankyou to everybody who has taken an interst and keep them coming. I promise to look on Page 3 next time :p

The restoration is coming along great, from a box of bits I nearly now have a rolling chassis. I promise to post a few photos on the site but i aint no David Bailey

If there is anybody out there how is interested in restoring a SS / SST250 then I have manged to source an absolute guru on these bikes, but he lives in Japan.....

Roger

I don't think the graphics are the same.
SS250 are

61496-76...Black
.....97-76...Blue
.....98-76...Red
.....99-76...Orange
I haven't found the SST numbers yet,but I'm sure Boon will have the parts,as he has the above ones.

Roger
You said you had a poor photocopy of the manual.
I have a good copy of manual 99490-76 SS and SX 175 and 250 1974-76,also parts book 99440-78 SS and SX 175 and 250 1974-78.
If you would like copies,PM me your email address.:)
I'm still waiting on the SST supliment.

All sizes | Harley Davidson SST 250 Advert | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:

Hi Roger,
i have a collection of these H-D 2 Strokes from 125 up to rare 350,ive had my sx175 from new since jan 1977 from cardiff dealer Reg Braddicks, if need some help advice mabe i can help.Mike

Big steve
from East Anglia Harley club comes on here he's got a 250 or a 350,he's a nice guy if he could help you out in anyway he would

Back