How safe is your Bike: Bike Chain Security.

Re: How safe s your Bike

'kin 'ell. what's the point of a chain then........?

I don't bother - if they want it they'll get it - so let them have it in good nick - you never know - you may get it back :)

I just make sure I'm insured and have a credit card to get me home.

Sh1* attitude maybe - but hey - each to their own.

There is another way of removing the chain which I won't post on here, but even a little fellow could do it this way.

So no need to think only big guys with bolt cutters are a threat.

Sad but true :mad:

(My mate's a locksmith and tells me a few tips from time to time - I'm not a thief.)

It took over a minute there to get mine off :p

I can do it in 5 seconds :439:

Re: How safe is your Bike: Bike Chain Security.

Like most things, if someone wants to nick something they will, so as with most things, a chain is only a deterrent. Normally these buggers are lazy sods, so if there is one bike with a chain and one without, which one will they take? (although if one's a sportster and one a fatboy, then it is no choice!!:439:)

I expect we all know people with, mind the dogs signs, false alarm boxes, etc, used as a deterrent. As Hog Hog says, if they want it, they'll take, it, but still worth putting one on from my perspective.

lose the keys to your padlock and work out how long it would take you to remove the chain without damaging any thing

ditto ground anchors

locks chains just buy you time and deter amateur thieves

and given that you usually store your bike in the garage where all the tools grinders etc are stored you buy even less time

I just hope they don't tell anyone where to buy those bolt croppers!

Don't need a chain at home, Bike is in shed with two locks, shed is in garden with gate chained and locked, gate is through neighbours garden and thats through an alley. It takes me about twenty minutes to get my bike on the road with all the keys plus a 'Big Bike Mover' Not to mention the shed is alarmed, there is a security light in the garden and my dog barks at the slightest movement outside. Plus two very vicious cats that would tear a bike thief apart and have em for lunch and the gold fish in the water butt (Harley and Bob) who make a great white shark look like a minow:D

And the frecking insurance sees it as parked on a drive:mad:. Have a disk lock when out and about, plus the good old HD alarm and steering lock. Bloody chain is to heavy to carry around, there's enough weight on a Harley (especially when Im on it:D)

At my last house i had no garage, just a small shed in the back yard, came up with an idea one day whilst at work, and that was to use an old fire alarm panel that i had stripped out on a previous job!

Mounted the panel in the house, ran a cable out to the shed, heres the tricky bit... dismantled a fire alarm break glass and took the micro switch out and fixed that to the shed door casing!

No extra sounder needed as the fire alert sounder in the panel was loud enough, being an open circuit fire alarm if you cut the cable going to the shed it would go off, the only way that alarm could be silenced would be to get into the house!

The panel has a key lock to turn it off and on, and a tamper switch would trigger the alarm if the panel was bust open, gave me piece of mind coz the key was kept hidden in the bedroom......:smile::wink:

Thanks for posting that, you tube link Dave, really interesting thought my ?150 chain was wonderful until now:mad: made me realise that if i want to keep using a chain then it has to be one of those Almax series 4 ones they seem to be the dogs danglies, as far as chains go, funny seing what damage it did to the bolt croppers. only prob is with the Fatboy then the chain cant go through the wheels, guess only through the frame?, but maybe this chain will be too bulky, think i read 19mm links on the series 4.

Last edited:

My GPz900R was Abus Granited, round the back of the house, along a passageway that was almost the exact width of the bike, behind a locked gate with the mother of all locks.

They had it and away down the road in five minutes flat...quicker than I'd ever be able to get in or out of the house.

Security systems are worthless if someone with nouse wants your bike.

My chain has been Margaret "Thatcher"approved!:D

DSCN1718.jpg

it was no different to showing people how to bolt crop chains on the utube link??

is that not a "how to"

Yes Almax chains are the way to go if you want chain security -that and the Squire lock they sell along with a ground anchor.

The bike should be chained through the frame with no slack left on the ground -Almax are a very friendly company to deal with and will spend as much time as you want discussing the best solution for your type of bike.

Ditto that on Almax. They're bikers. The stuff is made here. They take their time to help. Their nice. The chains are great. Just don't buy a IV and expect to carry it round with you....:p

Friends of mine a few years ago chained their three bikes together. When they got back to them the lot had gone! Police reckoned thieves simply lifted them all together into a lorry to sort out at their leisure.

Friends of mine a few years ago chained their three bikes together. When they got back to them the lot had gone! Police reckoned thieves simply lifted them all together into a lorry to sort out at their leisure.

What were they mopeds :60277EB7B04744289C0

Seriously tho,unless you can chain the bike to a solid fixed object ,at home or out and about then this can happen.

I got the two chains from Almax; the travel chain, which is so heavy, you really need to think about carrying it with you, and the garage chain, which would anchor the Queen Mary. Even Almax admitted that a committed thief would get it off, but my main risk is when travelling, and if yours is the bike that has the big fuck-off chain around a lamp post, and others are left unlocked, you know what one they are going for.
We had a spate of bikes disappearing at rallies, where the scumbags knew there would be loads of Harleys. In every case, they took an unlocked bike, left outside any secure parking area. I've been forced to chain front wheel to frame on some occasions, in the absence of anything to anchor it to, but even that's better than nothing.
Probably the biggest risk is when your bike is in the same place for long periods; for one night stays, it's probably less likely somebody would get organised enough to nick it, so keep moving is the best idea perhaps?

Back