I'm finally an owner.

1678218708888.png

Well, i've taken the plunge.

Bought myself an 883 Iron.

I know some people say it's underpowered etc but I love it. I've not ridden in 5 years or so, so having something smaller is a nice way to ease back into riding. Don't get me wrong... I do love a softail, which might be where I end up. For now, i'm really happy.

Also need to get used to riding with no fairings!

Welcome, if you have the bellows cover over the clutch cable adjuster half way down the cable (it looks like you do) then just cast the occasional glance to make sure it hasn't worked its way down a little bit as it can then collect water and rust the adjuster. Needs to be tightly fitted at the top. Easy to overlook, even easier to prevent. nice looking bike!

Nice one.

I started my Harley journey with an 883 Iron. Totally loved it and cruised all over Europe 2 up on it.

Protect your investment with ACF50.

Enjoy!!

Welcome, if you have the bellows cover over the clutch cable adjuster half way down the cable (it looks like you do) then just cast the occasional glance to make sure it hasn't worked its way down a little bit as it can then collect water and rust the adjuster. Needs to be tightly fitted at the top. Easy to overlook, even easier to prevent. nice looking bike!
A cable tie around the top holds it in place nicely...

Reactions: Ron
Its a lovely looking bike and I hope you have many enjoyable rides on it this year

Great bike, with a bullet proof proven engine, with heritage second to none. Many smiles per miles await!

A cable tie around the top holds it in place nicely...
There should be a clip above and below the adjuster holding the cable close to the frame. The rubber boot will rest against the frame and shouldn't need anything else.

On my own bike I use silicone grease to protect the adjuster. I do the same on the throttle cable adjusters.

Ah Andy! mine might have had that but it was owned by a lady rider who put the clutch lever clamp "outside" of the switch body because she found the lever too strong (outside to increase reach I guess) and maybe she also released the cable from the frame for a less tight arc..?
(I assume that because on my "Meriden" Triumph's I used to take the clutch cable from out under the tank and make a P clip guide on the front tank strap for a wider curve)

Yeah it’s nice.
I’ve just ordered a new speedo, with fuel gauge, Rev counter etc so that’ll be nice too
General rule I found on fuel for the Iron was, start looking for fuel every 110 miles, resetting the trip every fill up

I have fitted the analogue tach / digital speedo combo plus fuel gauge sender to 2 bikes, a 2008 and 2017.

On the 2008 the speedo is connected to the data link connector and programmed with the bikes mileage. The 2017 is just connected and gets programmed via CAN bus data at first switch on. The speedos are different and changed in 2014.

The downside to these speedos is after you have covered 30 miles they become locked to the bike and will not work on another bike.

The fuel gauge is quite difficult to fit as the opening in the tank is only just, with the clips and ties used, big enough making it a game of patience to fit.

If you need any help just give me a shout.

Back