I'm finally an owner.

Ah Andy! mine might have had that but it was owned by a lady rider who put the clutch lever clamp "outside" of the switch body because she found the lever too strong (outside to increase reach I guess) and maybe she also released the cable from the frame for a less tight arc..?
(I assume that because on my "Meriden" Triumph's I used to take the clutch cable from out under the tank and make a P clip guide on the front tank strap for a wider curve)

That under the tank clutch cable routing on Meriden Triumphs was the cause of the all to common phenomenon of failed clutch cable nipples. Apparently the under tank routing was initiated to address feedback from dealers that routing the cable outside of the tank looked untidy and was hampering sales. If owners complained directly to the factory about the frequent failure of clutch cables, they would receive a letter back from the factory explaining that the clutch cable was routed under the tank for aesthetic reasons at the request of dealers and instructing the owner to reroute the cable so that it was hanging loose in a gentle arc on the left hand side of the bike.

Not had much good experience with fuel gauges on motorcycles. The Kawaski GT550 had an LED thing that was completely useless, and that is the limit of my experience with M/C fuel gauges, so not exactly comprehensive.

Have always zeroed the trip on filling up, and with the knowledge of fuel consumption for any given machine - that's my 'fuel gauge'. Never fails.

On drive chains, I've only ever experienced chains, no belts. Although, whenever belt drive camshafts for cars are mentioned, the first question is always : "when was the belt last changed?" The Skoda we had, Nissan and Suzuki are chain driven camshafts, enclosed and pretty bullet-proof.
Rear shaft drive is nice, but it's more oil changes, gaskets, bearings and seals to deal with. Still, who would want a chain driven drive of their cars today?

The clutch cable on a Sportster isn't routed under the tank but the throttle cables are and so far I have not experienced any operation issues with either. With the clips in the right place and with the correct length cable there shouldn't be any tight arcs.

So many change the handlebars and claim the stock cables are long enough. Maybe that is the crux of the problem pulling a tighter arc? I did change the bars on a 2008 Custom and in order to keep the same shape in the cable it needed to be around 4 inches longer.

Since 2008 the ECU calculates the range and the economy it just needs to know how much petrol is in the tank and a display to show it. It also uses sensors to work out which gear the bike is. The speedo displays that as well something that is available on the 2014 and up Sportsters.

I got the speedo etc today, i'm taking it to Harley to fit, they've quoted 2 hours labour so it's worth it for a mid week trip to the store and taking something out for a ride lol

Back