Ive joined the gang

The PA needs to be kept on a tender (I use the H-D 5 amp one) as the electronics chatter away to themselves and the key if near 24/7 so the tiny little battery ๐Ÿชซ over 4-5 days (if not on a tender) may find it hard to turn over 12:1 compression. Due to such high compression Harley lowered the gearing on the starter to help from late 22, and with the 24 models have upgraded both the generator the battery and various electrical components.

If you ride daily there is no problem. But if you park it up in a field for 4-5 days you may struggle to start it. So a few of us have added extended leads to the battery and carry a jump pack.

A generator & battery upgrade is available for pre-24 models, possibly on warranty if you have an alternator failure, but H-D will not use the new stuff until the old stock is used up.

Sykes are happy to take on any warranty work, and
In some cases will do upgrades on warranty.e.g the upgraded starter gear.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ ye gods its going to be a 2024 model year hope it does not shape up like that

Someone said to me yesterday when chatting about the PA.

โ€œโ€˜it's Peter pan n it take u anywhere even never never land so u don't ever have 2 gro upโ€™โ€

Made me laughโ€ฆ fleck me I defo donโ€™t want to grow up. Theres enough grumpy old men out there as it is. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Congratulations Ian. I sat on Mak Hammond's PA 's' model at the Drovers Rally (fitted with the big pannier boxes). It felt good. Both feet on the ground. I can see the advantage of not having the huge pannier boxes, ie mounting and dismounting the bike would be easier. For the time being, I am still a fan of the air cooled, chrome and metallic paint traditional Harleys (such as my Softail Heritage & Road King), but as I get older, the hours spent cleaning and polishing are starting to become a chore. You might see me on a PA (S model, cos I am vertically challenged), one day, but not just yet).
Tony

Is the Pan America popular in Europe and UK? They seem to be doing well down here. What about USA, what's the sales buzz?

I think they are cool and I'm delighted that H-D is heading in different directions. I wouldn't object to one myself but are they very tall like a Jap trail bike? Are they comfortable? Always enjoy seeing feedback on these.

Sadly at my age I think (ahem) I'm done buying two wheels.... I've got a classic to potter about on around local rural roads, and take to shows, and a tourer to munch highway miles in great comfort. But I might just get a test ride on one of these for the hell of it.

Is the Pan America popular in Europe and UK? They seem to be doing well down here. What about USA, what's the sales buzz?

I think they are cool and I'm delighted that H-D is heading in different directions. I wouldn't object to one myself but are they very tall like a Jap trail bike? Are they comfortable? Always enjoy seeing feedback on these.

Sadly at my age I think (ahem) I'm done buying two wheels.... I've got a classic to potter about on around local rural roads, and take to shows, and a tourer to munch highway miles in great comfort. But I might just get a test ride on one of these for the hell of it.
Im 63 and 5โ€10 and a half, many who have not yet grown that hight ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, and are around my age are keen on the PAS (Pan American Special) because it has adaptive ride height, so when you turn on the ignition or stop at lights etc the bike drops a few inches so you can have feet flat on ground. (Only on the Special and only Harley currently have automatic hight drop).

Once you pull away its very nimble and handles well.

After a difficult firsts few years with a number of issues (now resolved) sales appear to be on the rise. Its my guess that this year will mark the start of a steady rise in owner numbers as gremlins have gone and naysayers are starting to accept Harley have come up with something that will become potentially the leader in the adventure bike market.

Currently I know of 30 Club members who own or are in the process of purchasing one.

Last edited:
Im 63 and 5โ€10 and a half, many who have not yet grown that hight ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, and are around my age are keen on the PAS (Pan American Special) because it has adaptive ride height, so when you turn on the ignition or stop at lights etc the bike drops a few inches so you can have feet flat on ground. (Only on the Special and only Harley currently have automatic hight drop).

Once you pull away its very nimble and handles well.

After a difficult firsts few years with a number of issues (now resolved) sales appear to be on the rise. Its my guess that this year will mark the start of a steady rise in owner numbers as gremlins have gone and naysayers are starting to accept Harley have come up with something that will become potentially the leader in the adventure bike market.

Currently I know of 30 Club members who own or are in the process of purchasing one.
Dont think they will depose the top Adventure bikes but will find a market in HD riders that want an alternative bike as a AV but want to stay with HD
as to converting BM owners i think it will be a very hard thing todo

Dont think they will depose the top Adventure bikes but will find a market in HD riders that want an alternative bike as a AV but want to stay with HD
as to converting BM owners i think it will be a very hard thing todo
I agree @devon.john. I was in Sykes last week and they had a few BMWโ€™s that had been part exchanged for the PAS.

But itโ€™s a great bike that GS. Its a tough bike to beat. ๐Ÿ‘ in the showroom and off-road ๐Ÿ‘

Back